SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

FindAGrave found me a cousin!

alisande
10 years ago

As many of you know, I've been volunteering as a gravestone photographer for FindAGrave.com for several years. I've taken over 1,500 photos so far. One thing I have not been able to do is photograph gravestones of my own ancestors, but I added a couple of memorials for one set of great-grandparents when I learned the name of the cemetery.

Today I received a message (through FindAGrave) adding some information to one of the 1,000+ memorials that I manage. It happened to be my great-grandfather's memorial, and the person sending the message knew a couple of things about my great-grandmother's family that I didn't know.

So I wrote to thank him and to tell him of my connection to that family. It turns out that he's my 4th cousin once removed! (He told me; I could never have figured it out.) He's been working on his family tree since he was a teen, and he's in his fifties now. He lives in London and speaks a slew of languages. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of a branch of the family I know nothing about. He's excited to share, and I'm thrilled to learn!

He had questions for me that I can answer in detail--and even illustrate with photos of relatives. This will be fun. I love how the Internet connects us all.....

Comments (9)