Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

What Do You Miss?

sylviatexas1
9 years ago

I miss...

rick rack!

cotton gingham

baby doll pajamas (not that I'd wear the darn things at my advanced age)

What do you miss?

Comments (64)

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

WM carries rick rack :-)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I miss my Dad.

• Related Discussions

What do you miss most?

Q

Comments (2)
    All the shades of green, carolina blue skies and walking around in my yard. Being on a hill it's not easy to walk around in all this. I still have slippy snow on my north facing slope.
    ...See More

enough

Q

Comments (8)
    and that is the one that I also picked up on - I AM enough. I came to that realization a couple of years ago when one of my sisters decided, when she turned 50, to blame me for everything that went wrong in her childhood. Given that I'm 8 years older than she is I'm not sure how that happened i.e. when she was 5 I was 13 with all the self-centeredness of a teenager, when she was 12 going into grade 8 high school I was in second year and working part time. I did what I could, I'm not her parent and so I decided I AM enough. I like oklaMoni how you said it.
    ...See More

What brands do you miss?

Q

Comments (54)
    jannie - i just mail ordered some great dill spears from Troyer's Country Market. i ordered a ton of stuff as well as the pickles. they were very reasonably priced and shipped quickly. they were out of one item and even called me to ask if i wanted to wait or ship now......great customer service! i'm not affiliated....just really like their stuff. Here is a link that might be useful: Troyer's Market
    ...See More

What little things do you miss?

Q

Comments (55)
    Big hugs aktillery! My sisters and I hug one another by wrapping our arms around ourselves and blowing one another kisses from across the way. I had to drop things off at their doorsteps and we did our ritual hugs and it did feel better. Perhaps you could take a picture of yourself sending hugs to whoever you wish you could hug. That way you both get something out of it :-).
    ...See More
  • satine_gw
    9 years ago

I miss my husband who was my best friend and soul mate.
    Satine

• Rose_NW_PA
    9 years ago

I too miss my husband.

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

I miss my good health, strength and energy. I miss my good eyesight. I miss a house that is up to date and spotless. I miss getting together with my sisters and just laughing about things.

• jeaninwa
    9 years ago

I miss Christmas Eve at my dear Mother in Law's. Everyone was invited, and all the grandkids put on a skit, or played music, or did a show. We had a gift exchange and TONS of laughs. We all wrote on the table cloth and in the Christmas Journal.

Heck, I miss my mother in law period. She was a wonderful woman. We'd have Sunday dinners at her house every week. She would cook the main dish, and all the rest of us would bring side dishes. She would keep all the boy grandkids one Saturday night a month and take them to church with her on Sunday, and all the girl grandkids another Saturday night. Her door was never locked, even if she wasn't home, that way, if anyone needed to use the bathroom, or a phone, we knew where we could go.
    She died 15 years ago because she had no health insurance, and wouldn't go to the dr.
    She ended up having a stroke, and they found cancer ravaging through her body. She never once complained.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I miss not having to worry about wildfires or flooding. The last two evenings the sirens(just installed last year) go off and the phone message is left on my answering machine. They keep closing the highway,

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I'm laughing that so many of you listed the things that popped into my mind -- my waist, my youth, my old energy. I also miss my nice tight neck.

I miss my old Clinique foundation that they discontinued. I miss my paycheck and benefits from when I was working, although I don't miss my last job. I miss my 1996 Honda, and my 197? Subaru station wagon.

I miss playing tennis. I miss summer camp and racing around outside with friends on soft summer evenings. I miss having a place to swim and a body that looked okay in a swimsuit. I miss riding my bike to school, the drugstore and the playground.

I miss Notions Departments in department stores. I miss having little kids around.

Of course I miss my Dad and my sister, but that goes without saying.

• chisue
    9 years ago

I miss my mom, my young-adult years, my Austin Healey, being pretty and 36-24-36 and 'falling in love with love' a couple of times with some completely unsuitable guys.

I miss summer dinners on the back porch at home, my sure-fire hiding place inside an old cottonwood during hide-and-seek, the rush of riding FAST on my bike around the neighborhood in the gathering dusk.

I miss being the young wife making a home, driving DH to the train and back, parties with other young couples, our first Westie, Charlie (who swallowed my diamond and 'gave it back'... later).

I miss opening the door to DS's room in the morning to find him standing, with a big smile, reaching out from his crib, just waiting to see his mommy. No one will EVER be as glad to see me in my whole life!

(Now we've taken down the crib in our spare bedroom -- no more grandchildren needing a crib.)

• sandiefl
    9 years ago

I miss my Mom and Dad.I miss both of my brothers and my sister. I miss Sandy. I miss peaceful times. I miss being able to work with young children.

• lindaohnowga
    9 years ago

I miss seeing my daughter and holding her in my arms, but we do get to talk via phone. I miss the strength and energy I had when I was younger. I miss my "bestest dog", Bear.

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

Old time soda fountains!

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Just this morning I was missing the good old pan-fried chicken and delicious potato salad that my mom used to fix...that woman could make a delicious meal from practically nothing. My son said to me when he was much younger, "Mom, when are you going to learn to fry chicken like grandma?"....never did happen and now it probably won't~

I also miss my first husband who gave me 3 wonderful children and my second husband of only a few years also. I will never know, as long as I am on this earth, why they were taken from me.

I too miss my good health and the ability to walk without a limp, and to do things I used to do.....but I am thankful to be alive and be able to see my children/grandchildren occasionally.

• Pooh Bear
    9 years ago

Going fishing with my Dad.
    Riding in the back of a pickup truck.
    Swimming in the creek.

• sidnee
    9 years ago

I miss the drive-in movies, I miss drive-ins with carhops on skates. I miss my mom and dad taking all of us kids to get ice cream sundaes on Sunday afternoon (I am the oldest of 6) We rode in this huge station wagon.

I miss my grandmother and grandpa, I loved staying overnight with them.

I miss the huge older homes we lived in when we were kids.

Sid

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I miss the older people I loved when I was a kid. Most of them are gone. I miss payphones. I dislike this constantly in touch life and instant gratification. I miss surprises. I miss houses with established trees. My kids have never lived in a place with a decent tree to climb.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

First and foremost my daddy
    Riding my horse Goldie
    My body and my ABS! I had such nice abs once upon a time, at least there are pictures to prove it lol. I no longer have a 6 pack!
    My hair, the meds have made it so thin
    Being able to just stand up and run if I wanted to. If I had to run for my life I would just be dead I guess.
    Not being in a wheelchair
    Not having to take a ton of meds every day and the related health issues.
    Being able to wear contact lens, I hate wearing these thick glasses.
    Everything from my 20's me, hair, body, waist, energy, health, enthusiasm.
    Sitting at the dinner table with my entire family including daddy and enjoying one of my mom's wonderful meals.
    Following daddy around the farm like the tom boy I was.
    Fishing off the bridge
    Family crawfish boils!
    Listening to daddy and his friends play music and dancing
    And more dancing! I loved to dance. I do still chair dance lol

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Thicker 100% cotton clothing.

ML

• marilyn_c
    9 years ago

The first thing that came to mind was my mother. She was very difficult and we often didn't get along. I wish I could go back and try harder. So many things I wish I could ask her.

I miss some of my animals....my cats Rainman and Marka. My dog, Bobby. My old stallion, Frosty. The beautiful koi I used to have. Some of the rare waterlilies I used to have and can no longer find. The beautiful soil we had at our old place. I miss my 1976 Olds cutlas. I miss the beautiful plants and yard I used to have. I miss Ken and other friends who have passed away.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I miss knowing that my long whole future is ahead of me-so many choices! I miss my mom, I miss my children being small and holding them in my lap. I miss looking in the mirror and not seeing wrinkles. I miss being young.

• JennaVaNowSC
    9 years ago

I miss my waist too Jodi! When I married my DH, I was 40, my waist measurement was 10 inches smaller than my bust and hips. Now, at 64, I am like a big barrel on long legs, not a pretty sight for sure!
    And Laura...they still sell those bikes!. They call them beach cruisers, I just bought one.
    I miss my energy....Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has worn me down do much over the last 20 years.
    And I miss my five grandchildren living in California.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Items that are made with Quality!!!! I'm sick and tired of things breaking and falling apart within months and clothes so thin you can see through the material.

Good quality everything.......spatulas are so thin, everything is garbage.

I hate Made in China!

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

I miss my mom and I miss it when my daughter was young. But on the plus side, I get to see my granddaughter a couple of times a week. She just turned 1.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just bought a spatula at a thrift store because the new CSFC ("Cheap Stuff From China") spatulas are so thin & floppy.
    This thing must be 40 years old & it's better than the new ones in the stores!

I also found a dish drainer at an estate sale, I'm thinking it might even be from the fifties, given the blue color;
    it's strong & sturdy, & tthe ray that the dish rack sits on is still intact after all these years.

"like a big barrel on legs"

My neighbor calls this condition her "straight-line body"!

I miss...
    cotton.

Remember the flour sacks that our mothers & garndmothers used for sheets, pillowcases, & quilt backing?

Those sacks were nice, heavy, tightly-woven cotton.

They even smelled better than the cotton we have today.

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I miss my blonde hair and my slender body. I also miss tent camping in the California mountains. I miss the energy I had to do those 30 mile bike rides with friends. I miss the energy I had to keep my house spotlessly clean.
    On the other hand, I am so happy to be retired and to have precious Finn in my life and to be healthy.

• katlan
    9 years ago

I miss my Mom and Dad. I miss them so bad it hurts. I miss stopping at their house everyday on my way home from work and sitting on the front porch and just talking for hours.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    9 years ago

I miss my parents and my Grandma. I miss being a child and I miss my pony Babe and my horse Stormy and my dogs I had back then. I miss my Mother's chicken and noodles and my Grandma's yeast rolls. I miss feeling like I once did.

Sue

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

I miss the tree ripened fruits and fresh veggies from CA
    I miss the good Mexican food and Asian food.
    Miss my quiet home in the mountains and seeing all the baby quail in the spring and other critters
    Miss my neighbor there just to visit and chat
    Miss my MIL and sometimes my mom and dad, especially when something breaks
    Miss the quietness of the Redwoods in No Calif

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I miss my parents mostly! I miss being young and beautiful, I miss not having aches and pains, I miss living on Anna Maria Island in Florida, I miss my place in Arkansas, I miss the way it was before the PC, I miss horseback riding when I was a kid, I miss there being way less people everywhere, I miss my best friend.

• renov8r
    9 years ago

This thread makes me very sad.
    I miss walking down the street holding hands with my Dad when I was a little girl. Everyone knew him in town and he was a lovely human being.
    I miss my babies - they are all grown up now. I miss their noisy laughter outside playing together.
    I miss our hockey rink in the back yard.
    I miss the days when we didn't have to worry about our environment and climate change.
    I too miss being young, but am thankful for my continued good health and energy. Can't stand my wrinkles though.

• jeaninwa
    9 years ago

I miss Sunday breakfasts, cooked on the patio, and eaten at the picnic table. Bacon and pancakes smell sooo good cooked outside.

I miss laying in bed and listening to the sound of the rain on the roof.

I miss having chickens and fresh eggs.

I miss my vegetable garden and flower beds.

I miss seeing the deer eating apples off the trees.

I miss NOT having to call the cops because the neighbors are fighting.

I miss flying a kite in the front yard....in my bathrobe...yeah, I was an adult :)

I miss being able to plunk just about any kind of plant in dirt, and having it flourish. (I was at a local garden center this weekend, and got teary eyed over the perennials)

I miss the relationship I had with my sons

I miss having family around

I miss the Friday night "Dinner and Movie" nights we used to have with my best friend

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

My grandparents. I lived close to them since I was 9. Except my father's father. He died when daddy was in his early teens. They've all been gone less than 20 years. So many things I got to do and see with them. Special memories.

Past homes. Each one is special. Except Huntington Parkway. That was one crazy place and not such good stuff happened there. We got into too much trouble then.

Keegan kitty.

The coast. Eating cherries freshly picked off the trees out of my bike's basket. Fried artichokes from Phil's. Tables covered in newspapers spread across them and piles of freshly caught crabs. Fresh produce and seafood. California is a food paradise. Pan-Asian is the best cuisine. Salty spray on your face afterwards is even better.

And from a few minutes ago, I miss the boy. He he has two exams today, one of which is band, easy A (I can say that after 10 years of band). The other is on a book he devoured in a couple of days and still hasn't stopped talking about, from a couple of months ago. Easy A. He's almost as tall as I am now. This is the last year for me to be taller. The last few memories of "childhood" are left. Only a couple of years and it'll all be about heading off to adulthood for him.

• eclair
    9 years ago

I miss clerks and cashiers who were ready to wait on you instead of making YOU wait for them to stop texting.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That reminds me:

don't know if I "miss" them or not, but remember the old vacuum tubes in the department stores?

You'd take your item to the clerk, & she'd hand-write a receipt, take your money, tear the receipt off the pad, put it with the money in a tube (like what the banks use in their drive-through's only smaller), & send it to the bookkeeping department, where someone would check the clerk's aritimatic & send your change back.

This was before Visa etc, & the department stores all had their own charge accounts.

Whenever you bought something, the clerk would ask if you wanted to use your 'charge plate' or just your 'plate'.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Mom - sick when I was just shy of 6, labelled "schizo", likely mainly post-partum depression (youngest bro. 6 mos. old), died when I was 13, my main memory of her is 39-year-old lady, long stringy grayish hair, in that box just prior to burial.

Dad ... hadn't seen much of him during most of my adult years, 28 years older than I, died 28 years ago. He was my rock, I guess ... but I wasn't much aware of it at the time.

As some of you know ... I often quote some of his pithy sayings.

The ex- ... Sue and I were together for 11 years, apart for 30, she chose to hardly ever speak ... died ten years ago this summer.

An earlier time when we were deeply aware that we were part of a community, and cared for and helped others.

An earlier time ... when people were more important than things.

And our (smaller - often locally-owned) companies cared about both their people and their customers.

Simpler made, quality goods - that could be fixed, even several times, before being pitched. I live within two miles of Canada's largest city's "landfill" (read "dump").

ole joyful

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'when people were more important than things.'

That reminds me of something I read on facebook just a little while ago.

seems like it was a quote, but I don't remember who originally said it.

It was something to the effect that people are to be loved & things are to be used, & that today things are loved & people are used.

• Sue_va
    9 years ago

Sylvia, that reminded me of something I learned from a co-worker long years ago:

"Don't love anything that can't love you back."

Sue

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

That reminds me (buying THINGS), over the holiday weekend I was taking my dog to area dog parks and couldn't understand why it was so empty. The weather was GLORIOUS but yet our parks(dog and people) were like a ghost town...I drive by the mall and it is totally packed, I drive by home depot the parking lot is packed, I drive by Target and the parking lot is packed. That's all anyone knows how to do anymore is SHOP...sheesh! I bet the kids were sitting in their rooms texting and the parents were out shopping *SMH*

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yep.

shop.

& eat.

• samkaren
    9 years ago

I miss the feeling that someone truly loves me for who I am. The miss not being able to say I am 100% happy - slowly getting there but it's a long road. I miss not being able to talk about what I am feeling because I am afraid of the outcome.
    I know this sounds depressing but I am just going through a bad time at the moment with a lot of emotions.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I miss eating a Sunday lunch at a friend's house and doing nothing in particular afterward. We might take a stroll to a local stream and muse about some world condition far away, the farther away the better.

I miss getting a dish of strawberreis by picking them off the plant, rinsing, and adding a little cream before eating dessert.

I miss eating grapes off the vine.

I miss the plentiful butterflies in summer. There were more of them and a good repesentaion of species when I was a kid.

I miss when both my sister and I were young and healthy, when skipping came with ease.

I miss fishing the quiet eddies of a small river with very simple gear.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'I miss...when skipping came with ease.'

Amen, Sister.

Sometimes I miss Saturday morning cartoons.

Captain Kangaroo, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, Mighty Mouse.

/

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Saturday morning cartoons - Yeah, I miss "the Road
    Runner", Wiley Coyote, and Bull Winkle.

• susie53_gw
    9 years ago

I miss so many things that were so wonderful from my childhood. I lived on a small town street with a ton of kids. We had so much fun. We all walked to school together. Kids nowadays don't know what they are missing. I miss my grandma. I saw her for the last time on my wedding day, June 1, 1968. She died a week later. I miss my wonderful FIL. He was so much fun to sit and chat with. I wish my dad had been that way.

I wish life would slow down. Everyone is in such a hurry. I can't go anywhere that someone doesn't have a phone hooked to their ear. They stand in the grocery isle. Please move aside!! I miss the drives in the countryside we used to take. I love taking the back roads instead of the super highways!! People don't have a clue what they are missing.

• petra_gw
    9 years ago

I miss being able to eat exactly what and when I want, without concern about ingredients, calories, fat content, sodium content, etc. :o)

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I thought of something else that I miss, those old style thin terry cloth bath towels that were really thin and really absorbent. I totally hate the super thick plush bath towels. I've tried the pestimal(Turkish bath towel) but didn't care for that at all.

• eclair
    9 years ago

Arkansas_girl -- Have you tried JCPenney's 'Home Expressions' bath towels, the 100% cotton ones? They're not 'really thin' but I find they're an appropriate thickness, and they are really absorbent, and they last a long time.

100% cotton is best for the greatest absorbency.

• eclair
    9 years ago

Arkansas_girl -- Have you tried JCPenney's 'Home Expressions' bath towels, the 100% cotton ones? They're not 'really thin' but I find they're an appropriate thickness, and they are really absorbent, and they last a long time.

100% cotton is best for the greatest absorbency.

Also, they say that fabric softener decreases the absorbency of towels.

• angelaid
    9 years ago

Courtesy
    Manners
    Respect
    My health

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I miss when automotive and tractor engines were simple and I understood them.

I miss 25cents per gallon gasoline - man, that was a lifetime ago.

I miss when I did not need glasses to read, and did not need a magnifier for the fine print.

I miss when I could run a mile in 5 minutes.

I miss when I had a full head of hair - Oh wait! I still have a full head of hair, lucky me. Its a different color now. I miss when my memory was better.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022