SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Birds - Everywhere!

caroline94535
9 years ago

The Baltimore Orioles, White-Throated Sparrows, and Harris' Sparrows all came in today!

I saw a pair of White-Throated Sparrows early this morning; the female was on a feeder and the male was on the ground around and under the little deck where my potting bench sets.

In mid-afternoon I saw a Harris' Sparrow bustling around under the BOSS feeder with about 30 American Gold Finches.

I sat down to have a cup of tea a bit later and was treated to seeing two big ole Baltimore Orioles fighting over the nectar feeder. It's big enough for four, but nooooo, they had to battle over it.

I have had the oriole feeder out for more than a week, so I quickly ran out to change the nectar; I wanted it fresh for them. I had all the fruit feeders ready to go on the porch so I hung up a jelly feeder on a hook by my sewing room window, an orange-only feeder high in the tree, and a jelly and orange smorgasbord-type feeder from the other side of the tree.

Let summer begin! The house and purple finches love the oranges, too. The hummingbirds (not here yet) and woodpeckers get into the jelly and nectar. Everyone has a sweet tooth.

Wrens are building a nest in my box behind a neighbors' shed. Wes saw Tree Swallows checking out "their" nestbox by the other neighbors' garage, and the Purple Martins have been strutting all day long.

This is a photo from last year but they are just as beautiful this year. The wind and rain was really coming down when I took this photo. You can see the feeders blowing about.

This post was edited by caroline on Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:06

Comments (8)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA