Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hatfields and McCoys

Posted by lindyluwho (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 20:43

They are showing the Hatfields and McCoys on the History Channel for the next 3 nights. 9 Eastern, 8 Central time. It stars Kevin Costner.

Devil Anse Hatfield was married to a woman named Levicy Chafin. She was my great, great aunt. I've been told they were always taking orphans into their home to raise. He was very much a family man.

I'm really looking forward to watching this show.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hatfields and McCoys

Just in time, I'm gonna dvr!

o

There used to be a member here, Kristie, who married a McCoy. There were reunions and things each year. Don't tell lindylu-might start a war! LOL

o

I just read an obituary in the paper where the lady was related to the Hatfield's or McCoy's. We are watching it right now.

o

Me too!

o

I started watching it but lost interest after a time.

o

I watched and look forward to the other two nights.

o

I set it to DVR the series, can't wait to sit down and watch it.

o

My DH and I happened to tune in just as it started. We watched the first hour and then turned it off - boring.

I'm curious what everyone else thinkgs.

o

lindyluwho, then you must be related to my children! I tease my DS and DD about their being related to Devil Anse, but I'm not!

My MIL was a cousin (2nd or 3rd) I forget which, to Devil Anse. Her maiden name was Baldwin. That feud was often a topic of conversation when we visited my DH's family in SW Virginia. I wish I had listened better.

Yes, I watched and I agree it was mostly fightin' and cussin' in the beginning, but probably pretty close to the facts.

I'll watch the series and also am recording it.

Sue

o

We watched it for about 30 minutes - Boring. I really wanted to like it, but it was so slow :(

o

I did watch all of it last night, but had to force myself. It was boring. And choppy. I really wanted to like this movie as well, have always liked Kevin Costner movies, especially Dances with Wolves, that was freaking awesome.

Anyhow, have it dvr'd and will prob watch the others, but won't be upset if I don't. Too bad. A good western is hard to come by anymore.

o

And excuse the brain freeze for calling it a western. Guess I was obcessing on Dances with Wolves.

o

I'm always hoping for another "Lonesome Dove"---but I guess this wasn't it.

o

Hubby found it boring, while I fell asleep. Won't be bothering with paets 2 and 3.

o

I'm glad I'm not the only one who lost interest. I had been looking forward to it, though, and started watching. I could not understand some of the early dialogue, then it just looked violent and depressing so I turned it off.

o

I have the dvr set to record all of them but have not yet watched any of it. I was not that interested but he is.
They are repeating often in case anyone missed it. On the the 30th they are playing all three in a row back to back.

o

I'm in the family tree, too. My 2great grandfather was Elias, Devil Anse's brother. He was referred to as Good 'Lias but supposedly he was mean to his wife, who was called Betty Ann by the family. She lived her later years with my mom's family, then moved in with yet another family member.

We are also related on the McCoy side. I did enjoy part 1, just for looking out for some family history that's always been talked about. Last night I was not aware "Good 'Lias" was in part 1 but my DH did some digging and found that he was, then we recognized the character but never heard the name during the show. Tonight I will pay more attention.

o

I loved it. I'm looking forward to the next 2 nights.

o

I liked the show. My only problem is remembering or figuring out which family for some of the minor characters.

o

I'm watching part 1 & 2 tonight. I didn't find it boring. Violent, yes. But that's what really happened. A horrific history, not unlike many other chapters of man's inhumanity to man.

o

Ironic that a man who took in orphans wouldn't want his own grandchild, because it was born to a Hatfield...

o

Ironic that a man who took in orphans wouldn't want his own grandchild, because it was born to a Hatfield...

Not unlike the plantation owners not wanting, even selling, their mulatto children.

o

Amazing that some of you are related to the families.
I'll set my dvr to record this series -- sounds fascinating!

o

We made it through all of it, slowest miniseries I have ever watched.

o

Was this a remake of "the Hatfields and McCoys" that played on PBS a couple of years ago or so?

o

For those who like literary trivia, Mark Twain has a long episode about the Grangerford and Shephardson feud in Huckleberry Finn. It is modeled on the Hatfield and McCoys, including a romance between members of the two sides. Huck unfortunately gets in the middle of it.

o

Wow...I really liked it. Guess everyone has different views on what's entertaining.

o

Ann, I am with you... i liked it, too.
It was interesting & sad... people's behavior and how they can hold onto grudges over minor things (a pig!) for soooo long. Wasn't it Johnse that said, "years from now our grandchildren won't even know or remember what the fighting was all about."?
A clear case of too much testosterone, along with a mix of lots of alcohol & guns.

o

I enjoyed watching it. Hated seeing the senseless killings and bloodshed, but I like watching programs and movies that bring history "to life.". I thought it was well done.

o

I read this morning that it was made in Romania- I kept thinking that I had never seen forest in the south that looked like that in the scenes. My grandmother on my mother's side was a Hatfield. I was brought up by Mama and Papa, as I called them, but I never one time heard her mention the feud. My daughter said that Mama and Devil Anse were third cousins. I'll have to do some research myself.

o

I heard today on the AM news that Hatfields and McCoys is the highest-rated cable TV show ever! Even beat The Sopranos.

o

gmom74, I also had to wonder about the location. Didn't look much like what I've seen in that area. If you are researching and run across any Baldwins, would you let me know, please? TIA.

jannie, that is interesting. Wonder if that will start a feud between those two?

Sue

o

Sue-va, I'll be happy to. I will have to ask my daughter where she got her information.

o

Sue-va - here's a start for you if you'd like. I found this site to be a bit mind-boggling! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ghat.com/hatftrea.htm#I84

o

gmom74, anything would help. Thanks.

moonie_57, I gave a look all the way through. Found some links that may lead to more info, after I check out some dates. Some of the given names to those folks are interesting. ;>) Thanks.

Sue

o

The History channel is showing another program this afternoon called The History of the Hatfields & McCoys. "The famous American feud as told by historians, scholars and descendants." I'm going to watch it. It's on from 4pm to 6pm eastern time.

Shirley

o

Shirley, I'm just now seeing this, so I quick turned on the TV and hit the record button. I'll watch what's left later.

Thanks.

Sue

o
documentary

Shirley and Sue, I'm watching the documentary now too, and finding it very interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here