Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupidity!!!

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 20:20

Several years ago, to cover up some blemishes on a painted gypsum wall, I put several small pictures, fastening them there with mounting tape. Now, I need to take them down and am having a terrible time. I did eventually get the pictures down by using steam and a knife inserted behind. You don't want to see the mess of tape it left behind. Some of the thickness is still there, but most places it is just a thin layer of adhesive. However, it stuck there like you wouldn't believe. I have to get that residue off, but how????? I've tried oxyclean, Mr Clean, baking soda, elbow grease. Any suggestions???? So far I haven't damaged the wall, but I don't want to either. Neither do I want to paint the room - bathroom.

Anyone have a solution? I truly hope so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupidity!!!

Good luck!

I found this:

Goo Gone
WD-40
Plain, white toothpaste
Acetone nail polish remover
Rubbing alcohol
Windex
Peanut butter
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Hair dryer
Mild detergent
Soft cloths or sponge
Cotton balls
Steps to Remove the Sticker Residue:

1.Begin by selecting one of the products above to remove the residue. All of these items have oils in them that will help to release the residue.
2.Moisten a soft cloth or cotton ball with the liquids or spread the solids (ex: peanut butter) over the residue.
3.Gently scrub the area with a cloth or sponge until the residue is lifted.
4.Clean the area with a mild soap and water to remove any residue from the cleaner.
5.Dry with a soft cloth.

o

tTanks, Glenda. I'll try some of those and see what happens.

o

Buy some citrus cleaner, such as Citrol - it will dissolve the adhesive.

o

Awesome worked for me on removing sticky labels.

o

I have never had peanut butter fail to remove anything sticky!

o

magic eraser first then goo gone I have had great success with the magic eraser.

o

Just bought an item with an annoyingly sticky label you can't seem to remove no matter how hard you scrape? Peanut butter will do the trick -- the natural oils will dissolve the adhesive.
Spread the item with a spoonful of peanut butter and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then go ahead and start scraping up the label. Wipe off any peanut butter residue with a damp cloth.

o

oh Glenda! I do NOT think I could waste a good spoonful of peanut butter in that way!

o

GooGone!

o

redcurls, me, too :o)

o

Another vote for GooGone.

o

Plain white vinegar will remove adhesive.

o

i love goo gone....i use it for all that sticky stuff and it works really well. :)

o

I would think that peanut butter would leave a big grease spot on a sheet rock wall.

o

I would highly suggest you mask off the area and protect the rest of the wall. Many of the suggestions may damage paint and do something to the drywall. At least minimizing the area you could touch it up or hang something over it if you didn't want to repaint the whole wall.

That said, Goo Gone has been successful for me, along with Magic Erasers, WD-40, peanut butter makes a mess but can work. It's better for things you can wipe up and wash easily. Vinegar, mineral spirits and turpentine are possibilities too. Plain old cleaners. Mr Clean has a new one out that is incredible for what it gets off. It's one of the "Pro" series. Many times even the silver miracle (duct tape) works well since adhesives stick to adhesives. Again, be careful that it doesn't take the paper with it. Oil. Mineral oil, even vegetable oil, baby oil.

Not sure how thick your paint is but most of the liquids run the risk of soaking in and that will very possibly discolor or cause trouble with the paper on the drywall. 'Twer it me, the first thing I would try is a hair dryer or heat gun and a sharp, clean, flexible putty knife to get the bulk off, then deal with the rest.

o

Well, the peanut butter that I put on one place did work quite well. However it did leave a deposit as one of you said. I bought some Goo Good and it has done a good job. It has left a funny feeling though, on the spots. I'm thinking that when everything is dry, that I may have to go over it with rubbing alcohol or something.
Thanks so much everyone.

o

For a greasy stain, rub some baby (talcum) powder into the spot,let it sit, then wipe off.

o

The powder worked wonders.

Thanks so much everyone. i have surely learned a lot and am pleased with the results.

Thanks again!

o

Glad it worked out for you.

o

yay! A happy result.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here