SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Some professionals may say, "We call 'em the way we see 'em"

joyfulguy
9 years ago

Having been guilty on occasion of hijacking some other initiator of a thread's story, I thought that I should start my own on this one.

One of our members was somewhat less than happily surprised to be referred to by her doctor as not only "elderly" but (borderline?) "obese".

Some years ago my high school buddy and another friend, who was playing in public for the first time following a heart attack, were plying a violin duet at a small local rather strict church's mortgage burning service and the minister made some critical comments about some of our denominations's materials. When I remarked on leaving that I was sorry that he felt it necessary to criticize the work of other agencies which were attended by earnest Christians, he remarked that, "We call 'em the way we see 'em!".

Later, after most folks had left the social following the service, I approached him, asking what one wanted to be Christian for, and his reply was so that we could go to heaven when we die.

My response included that some people hungered for power, some for money, and some for getting to heaven at the end of life ...

... but I felt that all seemed to be rather self-centred ... and weren't we baptizing greed, a bit?

He wasn't enthused about the idea.

ole joyful

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!