Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Duh moment!

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:44

When we eat broccoli, we don't always eat the stems. I chop them up and feed them to "the lads" (my voracious indoor composters).

We love broccoli and cheese soup and it just dawned and me that I should freeze the stalks and make soup when I have enough accumulated. I'll also put in the florets too of course.

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Duh moment!

No reason at all that it wouldn't work. I use the stalks all the time when I make soup (unless they seem particularly "woody").

o

The stems are chockful of good nutrients and flavor. As tough as they seem raw, the stems soften up when cooked.

o

I peel the outside of those stems and use them in stir fry's and even eat them raw. That outside coat is the tough part.

o

Boil them until tender then puree in the food processor use it in soups and sauces. You can easily freeze it that way too.

o

I do what nanny98 does. Peel the stem.
It is wonderful as a raw veggie snack or in salads or cooked!

o

When my son was at home, I peeled the stalks and he gobbled them up~~~raw. I just cut off a small part at the bottom then steam it all. No waste here;)

o

Or, you could just keep feeding them to your 4 footed friends. I always think a little added fresh vegetables to pets' diets is good for them.

I'm sure they appreciate it :)

o

Use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel the tough outer layer off the stems. Then just eat them along with the florets. They are delish. I like a little salt, butter and lemon or line juice on my broccoli. I steam it.

o

my bil used to do that to asparagas, as well...but they lived in a growing area and my sister used all the tender slender ones..

.what annoys me is some stores don't store it properly..won't buy it, either...(upright in an ice bath)

o

Peel them first before you freeze them, because the skin would still be tough in your soup unless you were pureeing it,

When I eat broccoli I use all the stem except for the woody last inch bit on the bottom which I cut off. I just peel it. I love it in my broccoli salad or just to eat raw as I am preparing the rest of the broccoli.

o

Funny, since the canary, and then the chickens, loved the florets so much I used to give them those and I would eat the stems LOL. Although, I do like them (peeled, of course). Raw or cooked.

Since seeing that chickens will eat just about anything (except for a few of my cooking adventures...did you know that a chicken could GAG?) and the canary has passed away, I eat the entire thing myself.

Dances.

o

I saw on a TV cooking show, you can puree cauliflower, add a little milk and use it as a sauce. No reason you can't use broccoli the same way.

o

Dances, your comment about the birds reminded me of the cockatiel and budgie I used to have. They sure did love their breakfast salads! I'd chop up broccoli, a bit of hard boiled egg, jalopeno pepper, and other goodies for them....oh, my!

o

Thanks guys!
We do eat the stalks, but not every time. Sometimes by the time I take the knobs and the tough stalk off, there isn't much of the edible portion left! lol

"the lads" were referencing my worms, and they love broccoli.

At least now I know I can freeze the stalks without peeling and just cook them, and make soup. The soup does get pureed, then cheese added.

o

I'd think you could also add it to the kettle when you make stock. Or use it as the base when you slow cook something like a pot roast.

It's like cabbage core. Many people toss it, but many eat it as a snack. Kind of bothers me seeing the TV "chefs" that toss so much of this kind of stuff and not even mention alternate uses. People actually give credibility to these people.

o

Darn few of them went through the Dirty Thirties.

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here