SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Portable AC units -- the kind on wheels

dedtired
10 years ago

Do you have one of these and how is it working for you? We have been having stinking hot weather here and my central AC (added long after the house was built) is just not keeping my bedroom cool enough at night.

A portable AC unit would be convenient because I would not have to pester my son (who already does SO MUCH for me) or hire someone to put a window unit in and out. I could roll it into a closet in the winter months.

The portable units cost about three times as much as a small window unit but it would be worth the cost to me.

Two things concern me. One is that they may be noisy; and two is having to empty water from it like a dehumidifier. How often do they generally have to be emptied? I realize that would be more often here in the humid Northeast than perhaps in a dry desert location, but how often do you empty yours?

I already have a ceiling fan in my bedroom, plus I close all the downstairs vents to force cool air upstairs. I also have an attic exhaust fan. All of these help, but on very hot nights it would be great to have some extra cool air without having to turn the central air down (up?) to very low temps at night in the whole house.

So -- any experience with these? Thx.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida