Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Grilled Vegetables - Week 1 April 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 15:58

These are so good.

Grilled Sweet Potato Packets with Pecan Butter
Makes 4 servings

4 sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 large sweet or Spanish onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Prepare barbecue grill for direct cooking.
Alternately place potato slices and onion rings on four 14×12-inchsheets of heavy-duty foil. Brush tops and sides with oil to prevent drying.

Double fold sides and ends of foil to seal packets. Place foil packets on grid. Grill packets, on covered grill, over medium coals 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.

Meanwhile, to prepare Pecan Butter, combine butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon in small bowl; mix well. Stir in pecans. Carefully open packets; top each with dollop of Pecan Butter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Grilled Vegetables - Week 1 April 2013

The Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Butter sound delicious!!

I like to do new potatoes, especially the baby red ones, in packets on the grill. I usually cut them in half or even quarters, or whatever it takes to make nice bite-size pieces and put them in a microwavable bowl. I slice onions on top, then microwave for a couple of minutes on high, stirring halfway through, just to get them hot and partially started cooking.

I spray my large piece of foil with Pam then put about 2-3 cups in a packet, whatever size packets you like, small enough to handle, and based on the number of people you are going to feed. More or less packets for larger or smaller groups. I sprinkle with onion salt, garlic powder, and dried dill weed, using LOTS of dill weed. Then I put 3-4 thin slices of butter or margarine on top and seal them up.

Cook them on a hot grill or over coals until done, usually 20 minutes or so . Then unwrap and enjoy!

o

Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil

Irene DiCaprio

4 large potatoes (2 pounds), unpeeled and cut into (slightly less than) 1/2” slices
1 medium onion, minced
4 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat outdoor grill. Wrap all ingredients, except for the cheddar, in double thickness of aluminum foil, being careful that the seam of the foil is folded well. Place foil packet on the grill over medium heat, cooking for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender, turning packet often with tongs.Remove from heat; open package and sprinkle with cheddar cheese before serving.

o

Slice zucchini in half. Slice off the bottom to keep in stable. Brush with olive oil and top with garlic or garlic powder. Top with sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese or mixed blend. Grill for about 15 minutes or until soft.

o

I made these portobello mushrooms last night but I did them in the oven instead of the grill, they are better on the grill.
Tomato-&-Olive-Stuffed Portobello
Ingredients

2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

Preparation

Combine tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, rosemary and pepper in a small bowl.
Preheat grill to medium.
Discard mushroom stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of the caps using a spoon; discard gills. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over both sides of the caps.
Oil a grill rack. Place the caps on the rack, stem sides down, cover and grill until soft, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and fill with the tomato mixture. Return to the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.
I added a strip of cheese on top too.
I took a picture of my dinner last night I can post the picture.
I made the mushrooms, blackened tilapia and sauteed suger snaps.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Tue, May 7, 13 at 13:33

o

Uncle Wilson is not my uncle; I truly have no recollection of where I got this recipe. If it was from someone here, please claim as the contributor, and I will update my files.

Uncle Wilson's Grilled Onions

6 large white onions -- sweet white onions such as Vidalia
12 strips bacon
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper

Peel and wash the onions. With the point of a small, sharp knife, cut a 1-inch core from the top of each onion and make shallow slits in a circle around the top. Wrap 2 slices of bacon horizontally around each onion, and secure them with toothpicks. Then put 1 teaspoon of butter in each core. Season with salt and pepper.

Place each onion on a square of aluminum foil and bring the edges together at the top, leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Put the foil-wrapped onions on the grill and cook for 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. You can also bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool the onions for a few minutes then unwrap and cut into quarters to serve.

o

I can hardly wait to try some of the recipes posted. Yumm, yumm.

Grilled Brussels Sprouts

Trim whole sprouts and then halve. Try to get the small ones. Slice onions rather thickly and separated into rings and put everything into a bowl and generously season with sea salt and fresh pepper. Douse with olive oil and mix well.

In a grilling basket on the grill with charcoal and smoke wood, grill sprouts for about 10 minutes, stirring with long tongs so they don't burn, over direct heat. Grill these last while the meat is resting.

o

I know a lot of people don't like okra, but these are so very good.

GRILLED OKRA & SWEET PEPPERS

(serves 6)
1 lb fresh okra
1 1/4 cups Snappy Tom or spicy V-8 or Bloody Mary Mix
2 red bell peppers cut in 2" pieces
1/2 tsp thyme
1 TBL olive oil
Lemon wedges

Combine the okra, V-8, red peppers and thyme in a bowl and mix gently. Marinate at room temperature 1 hour, stirring frequently. Drain, reserving the marinade.

Thread the okra and peppers alternately on six 9" skewers (if using wood skewers, soak them for an hour in water.) Brush the vegetables with olive oil and place the skewers on a greased grill rack. Grill over medium-hot coals 7 minutes per side, basting frequently with the reserved marinade. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.~~TX Ties

o

Trisha Yearwood is the one with an Uncle Wilson. He's #3 on the favorite recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trisha Yearwood recipes

o

Thanks for that info, Coffeemom.

Grilled Jalapeño Poppers

12 large jalapeno peppers
1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
6 thick slices bacon
Slice peppers from stem to tip on 1 side. Carefully squeeze ends of pepper (like a change purse) and scoop out seeds and veins with a small spoon. Stuff each pepper with shredded cheese.

Cut bacon slices in half. Wrap each pepper with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Preheat grill. Grill peppers 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until bacon is cooked, but not crisp.

Remove from grill and serve while hot.

o

I found this easy idea of pickling your grilled vegetables! So you can enjoy them anytime.

Here is a link that might be useful: pickled grilled veggies

o

great idea for a grilled veggies sandwich sounds awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful: grilled veggies sandwich

o

this is something I did from my imagination and what was in the the house.
You can use either the smaller multi color sweet peppers or the colored bell peppers. I buy the bags of the smaller ones at Costco and Sams.

peppers seeded open on one end.
A can of tamales drained and peeled and smashed up
a diced sweet onion sauteed (I often put them in a microwave safe bowl tossed with olive oil and just microwave till wilted) I usually throw some garlic in with the onions.
Heat the smashed tamales, adding in the cooked onions, and seasoning to taste, I add some chili powder, and some Tony's Cajun seasoning. Stir it up.
Some grated cheese, I used mixed Mexican blend.
Stuff the tamale onion mixture into the peppers, I put some in then some cheese, then more mixture. Brush peppers with olive oil and grill until they start to bubble and brown.

you can do so many creative things with these great peppers just Google small sweet peppers, I love them, we eat them just as they come to.

o

Grilled Avocado

Halve avocado, remove pit - baste with olive oil. Grill, cut side down, 4-5 minutes. To serve, add your favorite salsa - garlic salt and sour cream optional or whatever you imagination can visualize.

o

Grilled avocado, who knew?

Our standby is potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips cut in chunks and put on foil. Lots of butter, salt and pepper and other seasonings (cayenne, paprika, etc).

Wrap tightly, double-wrapping if necessary and barbecue, turning package periodically.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here