SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Did your breastfed children develop allergies?

amicus
10 years ago

My DD will be having my first grandchild in July, and hopes to breasteed. During a discussion with her MIL, she learned that her MIL was unable to breastfeed any of her children. The funny thing is, all 3 of MIL's formula fed children have no allergies at all and are not asthmatic. My 3 breastfed children all have multiple allergies (some life threatening) and all 3 needed to be on inhalers whenever they got a cold when they were young.

My children also got all the usual childhood colds and illnesses as their non-breastfed friends. So It seems like my 1 year of breastfeeding each child did nothing to avert allergies or illness.

I am a healthy eater, have no allergies myself, and have never had asthma. I did not eat possible trigger food such as shrimp or peanuts during pregnancy or breastfeeding. I was never knowingly exposed to anything toxic during pregancy, such as pesticides. So I was disappointed that breastfeeding provided no benefit healthwise to my children, although I certainly loved the bonding and financial savings it offered. I'm curious to know how many of you have children with multiple allergies, and whether or not they were breastfed.

Comments (28)