Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have success with citronella anti bark dog collar?

Posted by pickyshopper (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 14:56

We haven't had success trying to teach our dog to not bark at any little random noise she hears inside the house, during the course of the day. She never barks at other dogs or random noises during her walks, but many things (someone upstairs scraping a chair across the floor, for example) inside the house seem to 'startle' her and set off her barking. Have any of you resorted to the anti bark citronella spray collars, and did it work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have success with citronella anti bark dog collar?

I would try a Thundershirt to calm her while she is indoors.

o

I've seen that before. Looks like it'd be pretty good. Have you used it linda? Just outta curiosity.

Here is a link that might be useful: thundershirt

o

My dad and I had to buy many years ago bark collars that had just come out and read about them on the internet and mentioned them to my dad, these are ones that do not spray as we don't like anything to be sprayed at them. We called the puppy trainer that trained them with the invisible fencing we got when they were puppies and she worked with them and the male dog didn't like it at all and the female dog as with the collar for invisible fencing had to up it so she would get effected from it.

We were also told like the invisible fencing collars don't keep them on at all times as their necks wil break down, so give them relief like at night and when you aren't there so that if anything goes wrong, you are home to help them out.

It got all I had to do with the male dog, he would hear his sister running outside and go charging outside too and start barking and I would say do you want the collar and he would immediately quiet and go inside.

I didn't like him not barking totally as I like him protecting and he did when anyone did drive up to the house and they would see him or hear a dog barking and watch him despite being small size.

You have to be home when you first do it to make sure its okay and also don't freak them out bad like the invisible fencing collars can. Just watch them.

Also like in any training use your words to them like you say no bark and if they keep going on, then put the collar on and say no bark, if its not working, its not strong enough but make sure someone that knows how to do it do it properly and not over load it up.

It worked for our dogs and like I said with the male dog it got that I just said the word to him do you want the collar? And he didn't have to wear it saying that to him.

Yes, they will still bark without and then you go back if its a problem again but I gave the male a good chance and he didn't wear it especially when we lost his sister and so he was quieter then.

o

We have an American Eskimo - so a barking fool - but he is also brilliant. I did look into the citronella spray collar but many on Eskie board had found that they didn't work when dogs could count - and my Eskie sure can. Just bark the required number of sprays and be done with it. Next up I asked my vet about the anti-bark "shock" collars - I really wasn't going to do it - and she agreed. Don't. Good news is that our Eskie does not bark at night - ever - unless there is a good reason - he wants his sleep.

o

Why not try the t-shirt method before investing in the collars and vests. Just put the dogs front paws through a t-shirt and tighten it around him. Starting small would help and if need be, tie a knot to take up slack. Not sure which came first, this or the Thundershirt, but I read about it here on the Farm Living Forum and it sure worked. We did this during thunder storms and after a time or two, the dog would go to the chest where we kept it as soon as she heard thunder.

o

Thank you for your responses. I'm thinking maybe the citronella collar might not work well for my dog, so maybe I'll try getting a snug shirt like a 'Thundershirt' and see if it works. She's not actually afraid of thunderstorms at all, but I just read that they seem to quiet anxious dogs, so I guess it's worth a try.

o

We used one with our dachshund and it worked. We don't really use it anymore and it seems to have helped with her excessive barking. The only thing I didn't like about it was the battery didn't seem to last long and it was a weird size that was a pain to replace.

o

I just sat down to go on the Kitchen Table and happened to see my user name on page 1. For some reason this old thread of mine is appearing, even though no one has recently added to the thread. Strange.

o

Well, Picky, tell what's up with the barking pup. Update us, ok? Still have the problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here