SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_in_ma

Scary haunted house

Beth_in_MA
10 years ago

My sister and her husband had been looking for a house for about 18 months or so, and I often went with them to look. We drove by this one dozens of times and never wanted to stop - the price was too high, and...well...just look at the before picture! The price dropped drastically, and one day after looking at 5 or 6 other houses that were definitely "NO" houses and getting discouraged, our RE agents said "let's just go look at this one". The house needed a lot of work (we're still working on it), but nothing major - pretty much all cosmetic. Otherwise it had good bones, and is much bigger on the inside than it looks. We'll be working on it for years to come, but since that's something I love to do, I always have a project!

I spent almost six months working on the porch. I ripped it down to it's frame, added supports, re-decked, scraped 100 years worth of paint, added a few period appropriate details (I kept as many as I could), and removed a few inappropriate ones. I think it's worth it.

The first picture is the day we first looked at the house (5 Jul, 2009) - you can see why we called it the scary haunted house!). The second was taken when I finally finished the trim and painting (17 Oct, 2010). The landscape is more filled in these days, but it's still a work in progress.

Comments (20)