SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Leaving money to houseplants

lucillle
9 years ago

I saw this article and thought it was out of the ordinary. I'm hoping Ms. Scoratow is a member of Gardenweb, she sounds like an interesting person.

Ruairi Casey
14:17 Tuesday 6 May 2014facebook linkedin googleplus twitter
Leaving your estate to your goldfish may be quite fashionable these days, but leaving money in your will to a completely insentient being - unheard of!

Ronna Scoratow, 63, isn't headed for the grave any time soon - but when she does there'll be a nice nest egg waiting for her prized 7-foot house plant. While still in good health, the resident of Pittsburgh, US, thinks the 42 year-old philodendron will probably outlast her - so she decided to leave $5,000 for its maintenance.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the money will be left to a trusted friend, presumably because plants are not known for financial prudence.

Though her house is filled with countless other plants, Ronna saves a mention in her will exclusively for the philodendron, which she's had the longest. She predicts a long lifespan for the plant, saying:

"I don't know what is the life span of a philodendron... I imagine it's infinity if you take care of it."

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures