Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning Great Value(Walmart)Donut Sticks

Posted by marry (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 12:05

Just an FYI!

Sat down with a donut stick yesterday with my cup of coffee. I cut them into four pieces....ate one piece and took the last bite out of the second piece and WOW there was something hard in it! It was a piece of GLASS! The package is the new red color, not white. The UPC on the box is 7874214757, with a use by date of 06/21/13. I called the customer service number right away, gave them all of the information and now am waiting to hear back from them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning Great Value(Walmart)Donut Sticks

Thanks for the for the warning...I don't buy those but do buy a lot of the Great Value products.....

o

Sorry about the last message...didn't spell it right and I can't edit it....too many "for the" in the sentence......

o

that's scarey! think i'll pass it one to a pal that works in a store....

o

I would think something like this would result in a nationwide recall.

o

You should take a photo of it for proof. It happened to me in a soda shop, I ordered a hot fudge sundae and took a spoonful of ice cream and there was a chunk of glass from a coke bottle, split my tongue.

o

Good idea Yayagal! I'll photograph everything.
I did get a phone call this morning from where the donut sticks are made. They want me to pack everything up and send it to them. The lady that I spoke with said that there is no glass in their plant, and did I want a Great Value Gift Package? Ah No Thank You!

o

with a use by date of 06/21/13.

Donuts with a shelf life of more than a month??? I don't think so.... glass or not. Yuck.

o

Another reason not to shop at Walmart.

o

Don't mess around with the store and their corporate molasses. If they have not contacted you soon, it means they are sitting on it or waiting for an answer from headquarters. Meanwhile, a dangerous product may or may not be on the shelves.

Contact the FDA (Food and Drug Adminstration) and your state's consumer protection agency.

o

I doubt it was made by WalMart......even if it wears the walmart brand..I would bet that it was made by the same company that made the brand name sitting next to it one the shelf...

o

As little as I like Walmart, to be fair, Walmart doesn't make any products that I can think of, they only sell them and outsource any of their "Great Value" branded items to independent contractors. I don't know for sure who would make the donut sticks but I'd venture a guess that it's Little Debbie. About the only thing Walmart makes that I can think of is diehard fans and adamant enemies.

I'd not only photograph it but I'd have an independent witness photograph it and also use video to get a close-up view of it. The closer you can get the better. Once you ship the stuff to them, you'll never get it back, even with a subpoena it'll likely disappear and records will often get misplaced. So document it while you can.

I assume you weren't injured so it is more of a "distasteful" thing rather than injury. Probably not worth having an independent lab evaluation. I would probably contact the FDA though and see what they say. It's something that happens. Things get into the works and instead of rat hairs you got a piece of something. Sometimes we don't want to know what's in our food!

Snack cakes can often run a 30-45 day shelf life. Seems like Twinkies had about the half-life of uranium. I chuckled about the donuts Walmart sells in the bakery section that would come out of the freezer, then they put the use by of probably 6 weeks out. And they were in the plastic snap type deli container! You can feel what little rocks they were. That was disgusting. At least the snack cake things are wrapped in plastic so they're not exposed to air (and dirt and people helping themselves...).

o

I found a bug in a can of peaches years ago (well known brand) I wrapped it up and sent it to the company I RECEIVED A NICE NOTE FROM THEM TELLING ME THEY ANALYZED IT AND IT WAS A HONEY BE AND SOMETIMES THEY DO FLY INTO THE PROCESSING PLANT OF COURSE THE SENT LOTS OF COUPONS THIS WAS YEARS BEFORE THE INTERNET OR EMAILS.

BUT GLASS??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here