SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

Torching Weeds

oldfixer
9 years ago

Anybody else used the propane torch to eliminate weeds? I'm not totally pleased with the method. Oh, it will kill them, but a week later new weed growth has already replaced them. We tried it on a gravel parking lot, and a chain link fence line. It takes practice to torch correctly, and extreme caution because you're waving around a very powerful, very hot open flame. Easy to start a fire where you don't want one! And you have to lug around the 20# propane tank. Areas of the parking lot had tall, stalky weeds. In a few days after torching, there were tall, stalky DEAD weeds. UGLY. I went back and burnt the dead stalks to a crisp, now a lot full of black ashes. But again, it didn't take long for seeds to sprout new growth. OK, let's torch the short, young weeds. Success in killing the fresh weeds. But again new growth quickly appeared. Same with the fence line. This was becoming work, and I used up three 20# tanks of propane. We're back to using the backpack sprayer for better results. For spraying, be sure to use the 'extended' formula to prevent new growth up to 4 months. Good luck in the battle against weeds.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert