SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

New Computer

oldfixer
9 years ago

Among other things on the commotion agenda recently was the need to replace the computer. For reasons yet unknown, the old one would just haphazardly stop working. It was luck to get all the data I wanted off that machine. A new HP was ordered, and arrived in 2 days. Desktop of course. I'm not the least bit fond of laptops, and see no need to compute from a chair, a bed, or the kitchen. And no desire to take a device and be pushing keys while on vacation.
Although seeing/hearing multiple complaints and disappointment, it was decided to go with WIN 8.1. I'll have to agree, it is quite different and confusing, yet challenging to find/figure out where they put stuff. I'm a keyboard/mouse operator, touch-screen apps are useless. Start clicking around in unknown territory and you'll begin to find stuff. The first click was to set up desktop mode, something familiar. Then get programs in place and shortcuts on the desktop. Not a computer guru, and for what I do, everything is working quite smoothly. Had to find a new printer driver for that to work. At the same time I switched ISP & Email. They came to the house to complete the set-up, transferred all the emails & contacts, and all the internet favorites. Got used to Outlook vs. Outlook Express for email. Happy with IE11. It took 4 days to remember who and where, to go and change the email contact where necessary. Updated on technology for a while, and not as many hassles as anticipated.
On a day when the old machine boots up and works, will try the recover/restore routine. Nothing needed there anymore, so wipe it clean and see it if starts as if a new, blank system. Unless of course something else has malfunctioned beyond salvage (bad hard drive??) These boxes of wires drive us nuts sometimes.

Comments (10)