SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_ca

Dancing with the Stars -- Finale!!

Lindsey_CA
9 years ago

As usual, there was waaaaay too much filler. First, a one-hour "recap" show (that was titled "Dancing with the Stars - Finale," then a two-hour actual finale. They didn't even have the final three do their final dance until there was only half an hour left.

But, the three who were in the finals finished in exactly the order I wanted. I'm so happy!!

Comments (26)

• jackie_ok
    9 years ago

That was my exact pick as well. Way too much show. I kept thinking get on with it.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I actually liked the filler. It reminded me of a good old entertainment show - dancing and singing and getting to know the "stars" without all the drama of the bachelorette. (Which I have never seen but that's what it sounds like.) Waaay better than a lot of other junk that's on TV.

I also enjoyed this season more than the last couple of them.

But yes, the finalists finished as they should.

• Related Discussions

Dancing With The Stars

Q

Comments (15)
    I'd rather see Pricilla go before Monica. I thought it was a good start for her. I guess she got to dress like a princess and go to her prom. I wasn't impressed with Marissa. This may sound funny, but I've never seen anyone dance with their mouth open so wide for so long. I know, she does have energy but didn't have much dancing to do. I've always been impressed with Marlee Matlin so I wasn't surprised by her performance. Kristi was wonderful. One comment on the guys - I have no idea who they are but the young guys are hot!!
    ...See More

Dancing With The Stars

Q

Comments (24)
    I think the thing that won it for Donald Driver was the free style dance; especially the fact that it was the last dance the viewers got to see before voting. Tom Bergeron said at one point during the evening that through the first 8 weeks, Katherine had scored more total points than any contestant ever on the show. That should have counted for something, in my opinion. Just as the judges got the final score on the final dance on Tuesday, the final three couples should have earned extra points based on how many points they scored during the season. And considering how Katherine Jenkins was a virtual unknown in the United States until she did this show (she was primarily known only to classical music fans), for her to come in second is, to me, the same as winning (without, of course, the "coveted mirror ball trophy"). Take away Donald Driver's football fans, and Katherine would have won by a landslide. Here is a link that might be useful: Katherine Jenkins singing
    ...See More

Dancing with the stars finals right now

Q

Comments (1)
    That Usher is the cutest thing!
    ...See More

Don't forget Dancing with the Stars tonight

Q

Comments (13)
    I didn't recognize the name I'm shocked by who got kicked off tonight. Who ws that gal singer leone/leona ? I couldn't understand one word she sang I tried to figute out what languse it was but gave up. As far as the street dancing give it up please I think I know 1 place 2 second 3 third for next weeks final
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    9 years ago

IDK. It seems to me that Meryl was a professional dancer already with all of her training in figure skating. That squeaky voice of hers drives me nuts, too, although that has nothing to do with her ability as a dancer/skater. No denying she was very beautiful on the dance floor. I also did not like all the hinting around about a romance between Meryl and Maks.

I'd rather have seen Amy Purdy and Derek win. It also has been great to see Candace Cameron looking so great and being such a wonderful mother and great dancer. She was such a little chubbette on Full House.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Thrilled with the winner. Merle and Maks did a fantastic job. I have much sympathy for Amy in the loss of her legs and feet. Too much emphasis was put on her handicap. Every show had something about it. It did show what handicap people can do. I agree the show went on way to long with too much filler. I did not watch the entire show. I kept changing the channel.
    Mary

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Thrilled with the winner. Merle and Maks did a fantastic job. I have much sympathy for Amy in the loss of her legs and feet. Too much emphasis was put on her handicap. Every show had something about it. It did show what handicap people can do. I agree the show went on way to long with too much filler. I did not watch the entire show. I kept changing the channel.
    Mary

• lindyluwho
    9 years ago

A one hour show would have been plenty. 3 hours was way over the top. I was very excited about the winners. It was well deserved.

Meryl is not a trained dancer. Skating is very different from dancing. I think she and Max would be a great couple. He was so different with her than partners in past years.

• mare_wbpa
    9 years ago

There's no doubt that Meryl is a wonderful dancer. While I think there is a lot of difference between dancing on ice and on a wood floor, I feel that she definitely had an advantage over the other contestants. I really loved watching her dance but I'm torn between Meryl and Maks and Amy and Derek. You've gotta admire Amy for overcoming her disability and doing so great on the show. I enjoyed watching her dance also. I'm glad that Maks finally won, you could tell how much he wanted it, but Derek's my man, he does a wonderful job with whoever they pair him with, no drama, he just gets the job done.

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

I agree with grandmamary. I too was bored and kept changing the channel.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I haven't watched it yet, but I am glad Meryl won. I thought Amy might get the sympathy vote---it seems the producers were telling her story over and over for the win---and if she had won it would have been deserved...she did very well indeed.

Meryl did have a huge advantage being an ice dancer. She knew how to partner, and everything you see them do on ice, they practice (for weeks, months) on the floor first to get it down....so she's had plenty of floor experience. She also knew most of the dances such as quickstep, waltz, the rhythm and timing, etc. as you have to pass tests in about 21 dances or more to get to the senior level. She even had an advantage in knowing how to use facial expressions...definitely a part of dance.

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Meryl did a fantastic job but I absolutely can not stand to watch Maks or his brother showing off their chests all the time and slobbering all over their partners! She was so star-struck batting her eyes at him. Her 17 year long skating partner is such a sweet guy and they would be a much better match.

I absolutely adored Amy and Derek. She is amazing to overcome her lack of legs.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Phoggie...totally agree about Maks and his brother. I so hope Maks and Meryl are NOT dating. He is so conceited and full of himself and I think a real player. I hope she has the sense to stay away from him. Charlie is taken....he is dating ice dancer Tanith Belbin.

• minnie_tx
    9 years ago

Max and Val have always been my favorites I'm glad the results were in the right order IMHO

• User
    9 years ago

I am happy Max finally won, They were all amazing!

• Dash2
    9 years ago

First of all, Charlie is in a committed relationship for the past 5 years. Charlie and Meryl grew up together - like brother and sister, and that's how they see each other.

Being a skater doesn't mean she can dance. Obviously. Charlie won the same medal Meryl did, and he didn't make final 3. He certainly deserved it more than Candace.

Just my opinion, but I thought she could have left weeks ago and wouldn't have been missed. This is the first season that I was torn between the final two.

Amy deserved to win, just for sheer guts and determination. To say that too much was made of her handicap is unbelievable to me. I fall off my feet on flat ground, wearing sneakers. Not only did the woman compete, she did it with grace, style and back injury.

And yet there's no denying that Meryl was spectacular. Had either she or Amy won, it would have been fine. It just bothered me seeing Candace get as far as she did.

• Lindsey_CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yarnlover, I, too, though Candace should have been voted off weeks ago, and I don't think she belonged in the final three. I think the same folks who kept voting to keep Bristol Palin on (during her two times on the show) were voting for Candace, which is the only reason she got as far as she did.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Meryl is an ice Dancer....so of course she can dance. To be an ice dancer you have to have rhythm, timing, etc...just like regular dancers and doing it on ice is waaaaaaay harder than on the floor. She learned all those dances--waltz, tango, quickstep, etc...on ice long before DWTS and passed tests skating in front of judges who were counting every beat, etc....Kristi Yamaguchi won her season....they already know how to move to the music, have the grace, performance skills, etc.

Charlie should have been in the finals and he wasn't booted because he couldn't dance. And if he wasn't in the finals it should have been James--he was infinitely better than Candace...but it gets down to popularity too...everyone knows "DJ" from Full House and may not necessarily have known James.

No one is saying that Amy didn't deserve to win or be in the finals. But by the finale did we really need another "package" on how she lost her lower legs...everyone already knew as it had been stated on almost every show. She was truly amazing....but the constant mention of her handicap was overkill. It came across as the producers trying to drum up sympathy votes and that may have turned people off from voting for her.

• mare_wbpa
    9 years ago

Well put joaniepoanie.

• lindyluwho
    9 years ago

Max and Val can take off their shirts and drool on me any day! LOL!!!

• minnie_tx
    9 years ago

joaniepoanie I'm agreeing with you. I was voting for Max not the girl. The show has become too much of a special effects extravaganza IMHO. I'd be happy to forego the sympathy bids and the rehearsal stuff. Also I'd like the dabce music played like a recognizable waltz, tango, rhumba etc. not all te rap and modern stuff again IMHO

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I agree Maks and Val are nice eye candy! I just think Maks is conceited and cocky and some of his comments are disrespectful, not to mention the way he was pawing and kissing Meryl after every number....even if they are a couple now..which I hope they aren't. I hope once all the hoopla dies down she runs for the hills away from him....he seems immature and like he just wants to sleep with her and once he does he will move on to the next conquest. He's got quite an ego!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

DWTS ratings for that night beat both those for American Idol and The Voice. They were all down from the previous season `but DWTS was down only a tiny bit and their ratings were quite a bit higher than the other shows.

I don't agree with the criticism of the producers going on and on about Amy's disabilities. I think that with the Boston bombings, returning soldiers with amputees, childhood accidents it is very important that we do understand that disabilities don't have to limit people in what they do or define them. I think that Amy and her tenacity (plus having to have a kidney transplant as well) show us that the lives of amputees and those with other disabilities must be respected and accepted. I don't think that always happens.

Now the season with Chastity - that I thought was gratuitous BS and I didn't watch it.

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

"everyone knows "DJ" from Full House"

I didn't, never heard of or seen her before DWTS.

This post was edited by jkayd_il5 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:51

• Momof6
    9 years ago

I too was happy with the winners.....did any one watch the Idols finale and your thoughts on Lopez'es performance...and her costume...

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Jkayd...ha ha...well, anyone who had kids in the 80's and 90's know who DJ is!

I really liked the dress J-Lo wore when she sang on the piano....the way she sang...not so much...sounded affected to me. I did think that a lot of the dresses she wore throughout the season were way too short.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

The great thing about the DVRâ¦..you can fast forward through all the filler. I, too, thought Candace could have gone weeks ago. On the other hand, she did show great improvement as the show went on and she gained some confidence. That's a big part of what the show is about. Even taking that into consideration, either James or Charlie should have been in the final three. James also showed great improvement as the weeks went on, However, we all know that the show is a popularity contest as well as a talent show.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I just watched a few of Meryl's DWTS dance numbers on YouTube, and she definitely looks like a woman in love. I don't know anything about her dance partner, but I hope she doesn't get her heart broken. It could be all acting, of course, but it sure didn't look like it.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022