SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Trip Report (Long)

stacey_mb
9 years ago

DH and I had a wonderful time on our trip, a bus tour that started in Amsterdam and ended in Paris. In addition to Amsterdam and Paris, we visited many lovely locations in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. Without a doubt, my favorite city was Paris. I had heard Venice (which we also saw) being referred to as a museum city, which it is in many ways but to me, Paris is truly a museum city. It is so rich in history, beautiful architecture and culture that it is wonderful at every turn. I also loved Amsterdam for its unique beauty, including the canals, wonderful architecture and walkability. We found Paris very walkable too, and that walking was the best way to absorb all the sights of this truly great city.

I am not particularly religious, but when I walked into Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris, I "knew" that I came on the trip so that I could see this beautiful structure. I found it simply breathtaking and otherworldly.

We spent an extra two days in Paris after our tour ended and although we had no translator and knew very few French words, found that we were treated very well and very politely by everyone we encountered in shops, restaurants and museums.

Was very fortunate to see many beautiful art works at the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay and, in Amsterdam, the Rijksmuseum.

We unfortunately weren't able to visit Anne Frank's house while in Amsterdam. We were there on Commemoration Day, when the victims of war are remembered and after we walked to Anne Frank's house, found that there was about a three-hour wait line. A somber atmosphere with a man playing a violin among the waiting crowd.

Now I'm slowly getting back to my regular routine, including reading. Not much time for that in the hurried pace of our trip! Posting some photos here - hope it works!

An unexpected surprise - the beautiful library in the Rijksmuseum

DH and I at the Eiffel Tower

{{!gwi}}

We thought we would visit a bookstore on our last day in Paris as a low-key venture and located Shakespeare and Company, a famous English language bookstore very near Notre-Dame Cathedral.

This post was edited by stacey_mb on Sat, May 31, 14 at 9:26

Comments (19)