Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY 'Frosted' Windows Question

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 23:51

I have a couple of windows that I wish were frosted. I'd been thinking about getting some of the frosted window film..but that stuff is expensive! lol Then, I got an email the other day about frosting windows with glaze. This is the email.

"Frosted" Windows
Sometimes you want the light from a window but not as much "view." Perhaps you have a dog that sees everything going by from that window and barks at all the activity. Perhaps it's a computer room where you don't want passersby to see the equipment. Instead of buying frosted window film and having to cut and apply it, try this. Get some clear paint "glaze" and "paint" it on your windows. Two to three coats should do the trick. It's cheaper and washes off easily. This only works on the inside of windows obviously.

My question is..what kind of glaze am I'm looking for and where would I find it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY 'Frosted' Windows Question

I think I would try it on a scrap piece of glass before trying it on a real window.

Benjamin Moore� 405 Latex Glazing Liquid Clear - Gallon

pretty much any paint supply store it is used a lot in faux finishes.

you can buy spray on frost for glass also
Krylon I00810 Glass Frosting Aerosol Spray Paint,

step by step directions with pictures for using the glaze technique
Increase Your Privacy with $16 DIY Window Frosting

o

Their used to be a product to "paint-on-stained glass"....check the hobby isles.

o
RE: DIY 'Frosted'glass Windows Question

Oh, the paint came off just like those 'clingy' things.

o

I frosted our bathroom window with a can of spray on frost. It was cheap, easy to do and works well. Check at a hardware or paint store for the spray frost.

o

Years ago people used to use Beer to frost windows. Its a temporary thing but might help till you get your stuff.
I just found another one, you canuse epson salts!

Here is a link that might be useful: frost windows

o

I got window paint at JoAnn Fabrics--they also have it at Walmart, Michaels, etc. It's inexpensive, and can easily be removed.

One of our bathrooms has a window over the bathtub--which is easily seen from the back porch--and gives a clear view to the bathroom mirror, and everything in the bathroom. I got frosted window paint, and using a small (1/2-1")paintbrush, just made brushstrokes going in all directions until the window was totally covered. The light shines through, but you can't see in at all. It took 10 minutes to do, cost about $2 and has served its purpose well for 17 years.

o

WOW...I have other options!!! That's great!!

Wanda..was the window paint in the paint dept.? THAT sounds easy enough!! lol

o

Check the spray paint aisle. I use a window frosting spray can and it works VERY well for the bathroom windows.

o

It's in the crafts section. Here's a link to the website for the paint I have used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window Paint

o
'Frosted' Windows Question

Thanks~ I'm heading to Hobby Lobby to see if they have it!!!

o

Oh, love this post as I have been thinking along the same line for my bedroom window as I plan to put up some wood blinds but have found(this is going to sound paranoid!) that by standing close to the window, you can actually see through one of the cord holes(told ya) & since I like to read in bed I would feel better with something on the window other than the blind.

o

I wonder if any of that paint would work on shower doors? I hate water spots!

o

I remember the epsom salts thing. But another easy thing to do is put some bubble wrap on the window if you don't mind the look. It also has some insulation value and you could even make a Roman type shade if you want to be able to see out at times.

There's also sheets of various plastic that can be cut to fit or a large cover made if you prefer. Craft and DIY places would have it.

o

Joann, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the paint on the outside of the shower doors! It's actually a good idea. I might have to think about that!!

o

My Mom used to mix a little water in Epsom Salt from the drugstore, dab it on her downstairs bathroom window. Don't want anyone seeing you in the loo. It washes off as needed, like for spring cleaning, then can re-apply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here