Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a New Poster Look Old?

Posted by des_arc_ya_ya (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 23:07

Not a PEOPLE poster, a PAPER poster! LOL

What can you put on, or do to a poster to put some character and age on it? (Aside from the obvious answers of stomping on it, crumpling it up, etc. LOL)

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a New Poster Look Old?

Hiya YaYa, how about some burnt umber acrylic paint thinned down really well and smooshed on with a paper towel? Don't let it get too wet, but rub it around then wipe it off so that it looks aged. Try it on an old magazine page first to perfect your technique. You could try burning the edges with a lighter too that would age it a bit.

Of course you will have to show it to us when you're done ;o)

Hugs

o

How about dampening a paper towel with strong, cold tea, shooshing it around on the poster, then wiping it off?

o

LOL... coffee gets darker faster. how old? like
85 years, or 10? lol

o

I have used Zipper's method many times and it works.Instead of burning the edges tear them,little pieces at a time,so that the torn edge is showing and cover that with the burnt umber acrylic and wipe it off carefully.A cotton ball works great for applying the paint and wiping it off or a folded piece of gauze or flannel.You can add more layers of paint to get the desired "age".

o

I agree with Zipper and also a few strategically placed creases would add to it, too. I would do them before the antiquing medium so they could take some staining, too.

o

You might also check Hobby Lobby, or Walmart, or JoAnns for a tole paint that does that job. Can't remember what it is, but I think you just paint it on, and it looks antique. You also google tole painting and that might help

o

Try ironing the edges with a hot iron, enough to make it brown and dry. then tear a few spots. Also try rolling the poster roughly to create some creases. I remembering making a "Civil War newspaper" look old for a history project in junior high. (It wasn't a real newspaper-just something I typed up on regular paper and then tried to make it look 100 years old.)

o

Once you get it 'aged', I'd frame it in a poster frame.. that way people will think it is really a collectible!!

Are you gonna post a picture for us when you get done??

o

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Yep, Lydia, if it looks good, I'll sure show it! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here