Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spartacus.....

Posted by schoolhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 22:11

Don't know if anyone here followed the series, but tonight I watched practically the whole show with hands over my face, peeking out between my fingers, then crying the last 15min.

We all know how it had to end, but I had heard a historian say once that there was never any record of Spartacus being crucified with the remnants of his army along the Appian Way; and that his body was actually never found after the battle and possibly his body taken away by survivors of his band. Well, true or not, it was a good ending. sniff. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spartacus.....

I hate that this is the end of the Spartacus shows. We just loved them all, and had hoped they would decide to continue the series. Guess that won't happen now....

o

Well, Crassius will get his in about 20yrs. when he pits himself against the Parthians. At the end of tonight's Spartacus, it was interesting to see the "big three" together - Crassius, Julius Caesar, and Pompey. Vision of Rome's future.

o

did they do like in the movie where jean simmonds brings their child for kirk douglas to see?

o

did they do like in the movie where his wife brings their baby for him to see?

o

I didn't see the Spartacus you are talking about, but did see the movie with Kirk Douglas and Jean Simmons when I was in high school. Oh, my....how I did cry at that one.

o

First of all, it's "Crassus", not "Crassius", sorry. I know that but when I write it I always put the "i" in there.

susanjf, not exactly. There was a baby born shortly before the final conflict but it was of a mother that was only a minor character and only after she had a baby did she appear in a couple episodes - just cameos of her and the baby - no names for either. But, when the small band of survivors carried Spartacus to the mountains where he died, they showed this woman and baby among them. I suppose as a "new beginning" moment. And Sparatcus did recognize this as such, however I'm sure it wasn't his. The only hint that one of the original group of gladiators/soldiers had fathered a child was when they kept showing Gannicus's lady holding her stomach ,tho not noticeably pregnant, as if she were. We were never told that and she takes charge of the other mother and baby a they walk off in the final scene.

marilyn c, this "Spartacus, War of the Damned" was a series on the Starz channel. You can google it on wikipediea and read the notes. Or, I think you can go to the Spartacus official web site for the series and watch past episodes? Not sure. I'll have to check that out. But beware, it's not for the faint of heart as far as blood and gore goes. They made violence an art. ugh.

o

All I see in my mind is Jean Simmons in a 'chariot'/'cart'(?) being driven away and saying "goodbye, my love, goodbye, my love" OMG - where's my hanky? (I was in high school too.)

o

I think I watched part of some of these... if it's the same one you guys are talking about was anyone else shocked at often the "f" word was used?... Somehow I'm not sure it was used like that back then.. but I could be wrong...

o

lol dbfirewife, I wonder what the Latin word is for that? But then again I'm not sure Spartacus' group spoke Latin except only to the Romans, and then it probably was the Latin of the masses. Spartacus was from Thrace.

I didn't notice the first season, but the second they seemed to speak in a manner as if they were reading lines from Shakespeare or textbooks. Some of the actors sounded awkward trying to do so.

o

I love the Ballet Spartacus. Have it on tape They actually showed it on stage back when A&E was truly an Arts & Entertainment channel..It is Wonderful try and watch it The music is wonderful.

o

I dont know if this TUBE link will work but this one shows the beauty of the music.

I adore IREK he is a wonderful dancer and hope you can watch the whole thing also available on Amazon

"Adagio" from "Spartacus" (Aram Khachaturian) - YouTube

o

Here's the link. Lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adagio

o

Thanks

o

Never watched this version, but, Dustin Clare, that played Gannicus, (sp?) was in one of my favorite shows of all time. McCleoud's Daughters. Love him!

o

I had never heard of the ballet, thanks for the link.

o

try to see the whole ballet Irek is fantastic in his leaps and dance. He was from the Bolshoi and came over Here I think His strength as Spartacus cant be beat in my opinion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here