Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just FYI ... (coffee in chocolate cake)

Posted by joann23456 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:23

Many chocolate cakes include coffee for additional flavor. And it seems to me that people who like coffee can't taste the coffee in those cakes. They say things like, "It doesn't taste like coffee; the coffee just makes the flavor richer."

But just FYI, for those of us who don't like coffee - your cakes taste like coffee!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I was just disappointed again by yet another terrific-looking piece of chocolate cake that made me gag with the coffee taste. Everyone else seemed to like it, though!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just FYI ... (coffee in chocolate cake)

As an opposite of what you posted I put chocolate milk in
my coffee......( I can only take one cup (or two tops) myself though)

o

When we make a big batch of chili my DH adds a little Hersey cocoa. It's not enough to taste but it helps cut the acid from the tomatoes.

o

I've never tasted coffee in any cakes.

o

I like coffee, but I don't like it in brownies or cake. IMO, it gives an off taste.

o

I don't think I've ever tasted coffee in cakes either. However, chocolate and coffee is probably my all time favorite combination of flavors so I'd more than welcome it!! When I get several scoops of ice cream, it is always chocolate and coffee. If three (decadent!) it is chocolate, coffee, and hazelnut/nutella.

o

Hmmm, I do like "mocha" flavor. and I have heard of using both coffee and /or unsweetened baking chocolate in Mexican mole sauces.

o

I don't like coffee....have never in my whole life drank a cup of coffee. However, I have a chocolate cookie recipe that calls for a couple of teaspoons of coffee, and I can't taste it in the recipe. It is one of my favorite recipes, and if I could taste the coffee, I wouldn't like it at all.

o

I am not a coffee drinker and can always detect it in food. I bake with chocolate quite a bit and do add a very small amount of espresso powder to many of my recipes. It gives the chocolate more depth without lending a coffee taste. I have done a side by side comparison of chocolate buttercream frosting with and without espresso powder. Everyone chose the one with the powder saying it had a richer chocolate taste.

I do agree that some bakers tend to put in too much coffee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here