SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorothy_oahu

Don't want to get sick? Get a dishwasher.

dorothy_oahu
11 years ago

If you clean plates by hand, you should be afraid. Very afraid. Deep within the microscopic chasms of your filthy, grime-infested kitchen sink are tiny little monsters with ghastly superpowers. They are legion, and thereâÂÂs little you can do to stop them.

I always believed this. I love my Bosch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Get a Dishwasher

Comments (37)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Yet millions of people over many generations have survived (and still do!) just fine with handwashing....

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I must have GREAT defenses..... :) I hand washed for 2 years now.... and don't think, I have gotten sick from it yet.

Moni

• Related Discussions

want this flower but don't know what it is or where to get it

Q

Comments (2)
    look at osteospermum.com they have a lot of info on these. I love the spooned variety,but they are hard to find and I'm also told they don't come true to form from grown seeds I do know you can get seeds from parks seed,buy don't know if this is one of them. I have ordered mine from a local nursery. If you find out any thing please let me know I would be interested in any info. on them.
    ...See More

Seedlings..You Don't Always Get What You Want...

Q

Comments (6)
    THANKS for sharing the seedling pics....my FAVORITE PICS to look at! My seedling bed seems to be in PEAK BLOOM right now with the established gardens just taking off.....LOL I am discovering what you think versus what you get plays no part in the end result.....LOL I sure have some beautiful seedlings blooming tho so NO COMPLAINTS here! Thanks for sharing your wonderful seedlings Debra!
    ...See More

I'm getting discouraged.... but I don't want to give up yet.

Q

Comments (5)
    I think maybe? you started with too small quantity of worms. You said $30 for them. So you purchesed 1 1b probably or maybe 2 1bs at the most. I think you should have bought 4 or 5 pounds for one of those big bins. They will mutliply in the right conditions but you have to only feed them as they will eat. I would add some new bedding and feed them zukinie squash and pumpkin or butternut squash and some corn meal. But only give them a 1/2 cup every three or four days for 1 1b. at first and make sure they eat it before giving more. I always start out with cardboard and compost and dried leaves crumbled up and soak the leaves and cardbaord before adding to the compost. If you can buy more worms that would be good so you can feed them more. It does take more than one try for some of us to get the hang of things. That is not too much water in the bedding and not too much food to soon. Do you have any books on worms like " Worms eat my Garbage". I bet that book would help you out alot. Check your local library, it is an old book still available though. Good luck and keep posting your questions. I wish you had more people respond to help out. Bill C
    ...See More

48" frig help- Don't want water in door. How do I get cold water?

Q

Comments (26)
    we use these: http://www.target.com/p/anchor-glass-bistro-pitcher-2qt/-/A-15295071?sid=2124S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Dining+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Dining&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007220&lsft=gclid:CIOI39DP384CFYQkhgodKpQHHQ,gclsrc:aw.ds&gclid=CIOI39DP384CFYQkhgodKpQHHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds have 3 on our door.... we all drink water all day....
    ...See More
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

This reminds me of our local mattress company that has bought tv ads to say that any mattress 6 or 8 years old is full of absorbed body moisture that has doubled the mattress weight and full of bug mites that attack you as you sleep. Buy our new mattresses!

And it also reminds me of the spice companies that say to throw out your herbs and spices every year and buy new ones.

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

We haven't had a dishwasher for over 20 years and rarely do we get sick. We also stay home a lot and aren't exposed to a lot of germy people, so that might be why. :)

• arkansas girl
    11 years ago

I almost never get sick, literally have not been to a doctor in over 8 years...I really do not spend any time worrying about germs. I squirt some dish liquid on a scrubby and scrub the dish and rinse. We do not stay home and we are exposed to many "germy people" and germy animals too! LMAO!

• drewsmaga
    11 years ago

I DO believe that dishwashers, with HIGH water temps, do kill a lot of nasties. On the other hand, I didn't have a dishwasher until my 4 kids were 8-18 yrs. old and nobody got an E. Coli or Salmonella infection. I still handwash the good plates I use for holidays and no one has gotten sick after a meal for 30 years. Hmmmm

• ruthieg__tx
    11 years ago

I think really hot water is important too. I just bought a new dishwasher and bought a "turbo wash" but I keep my water hot enough that you can't keep your hand in it...every one complains...but I don't understand why you wouldn't want it scalding hot...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

Well my dishwasher would come closer to killing you. The stuff comes out worse than it went in, which is why I never use it. I would never own another Kenmore ever, and it's one of the top of the line models maybe 4 yrs old. I detest it. My water is scalding hot and I hand wash every thing. I want my wonderful Kitchenaid from my previous home.

Germs are everywhere, I worked in a sterile environment in the lab and even in there we would have a contamination on occasion and believe me the sterile protocol was intense. It will make you become a bit ocd about hand washing and what you touch. But you can't expect to live life in a sterile environment. I lived a great deal of time in one for many years daily and it's not a real fun place.

• jeaninwa
    11 years ago

I work as a cook in a child care center, and wash the dishes by hand, but then they go through a VERY hot water sanitizing machine. Much like a dishwasher, but without the wash cycle.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Dorothy, don't worry about it. It's nice, that you think of us, we just don't buy in to the hype.

Moni

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

My dishwasher cleans everything including greasy car parts, the bird feeders, garden tools, whatever needs cleaning. But then he washes his hands really good before starting the dishes. We rarely get the usual nasties that are passed around.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

We can all thank the creator for filling our stomachs full of hydrochloric acid so strong it could dissolve cars! It's really miraculous that it doesn't dissolve our stomach!!!
    Joann

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

With all the nasty animals I handle and all the poop I clean on a daily basis....if a germ bit me, it would die.

• heather_on
    11 years ago

I don't own a dishwasher and it is at least 20 or more years ago that I had the stomach flu. I am not germaphobic either. My antibodies are spectacular!

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Doesn't fear based drama post plus brand name dropping indicate Spam? I'm not here often enough to recognise the posters name. Anyway, if we have to seriously worry about death by dishes I suppose there is no reason to get out of bed. Anyone heard of North Korea?? Lol

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

As grandparents, we have found the Typhoid Mary in our midst is the cute preschooler grandson. We used to never get sick, and then preschool started.

• chisue
    11 years ago

sheilajoyce -- Absolutely! Grandchildren! Gaaahhh! Kissy, snuggly, germ-ridden MONSTERS. They CAN love you to death. LOL

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Amy, Dorothy_Oahu, the original poster is not new to the KT. I suspect she just wanted to share something with us.

Jodi-

• bigfoot_liz
    11 years ago

Actually even sanitary certified dishwashers have been found to not clean all microscopic germs away. there are so many ways for germs to invade that saying sanitized is now a catch phrase at best. EVEN autoclaves don't do 100% w certain germs as recently found at NIH, to their own shock, as well as the deaths of several patients! Chlorine gas & super concentrated hydrogen peroxide are about all that still kills 100% and that is only in lab conditions w lab quality. there are sooo sooo many ways for germs to evade our efforts that lately researchers are finding many of the tried and true ways of sterilization are not 100% anymore. evolution at it's best! all of the preventive measures people try to take on really only add to the likelihood that they are adding to that very germs' ability to build it's resistances up to what you are trying to use as a weapon. some of the recent deaths' in hospitals ie NIH, are being contributed to the impervious coating evolutionized to beat autoclaves, sanitizing sprays (hand gels) & soaps etc...along w the germs ability to survive all known currently prescribed antibiotics there are no treatments nor preventions left for some germs. the NIH had a couple of cases treated w an antibiotic from the 50's that were banned because it kills off your kidneys & liver, two survived i think but their organs did not.

you can not ever outsmart microbiology & virology...they will be the death of Homo sapien in the end. ~ liz

• glenda_al
    11 years ago

Saying HELLO to Dorothy_Oahu!

Long time no see! Glad to see you posting.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

OK, Dorothy - you're not spam - you come recommended! In that case, enjoy your dishwasher - I bet if I had an expensive nice one like that I'd be singing the praises of my appliances too. :)

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I do notice the article is on a dishwashers webpage, of course they would play up the "dangers" of hand washing.

• neesie
    11 years ago

I remember learning in High School that one of the most effective sales technique was FEAR. Dorothy, you played right into their hands and bought it hook, line and sinker!

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

My son used to get a lot of infections when he was little. We washed our hands, didn't drink after him, etc., but my daughter and I kept catching whatever he had, too.

So I declared a family rule that everything that came out of a kitchen drawer or cabinet must go in the dishwasher. Absolutely no hand washing dishes. My daughter and I quit getting sick.

Maybe it was coincidence, but it's nearly 18 years later and we still put nearly everything in the dishwasher.

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

You mean that I, who told a while ago of my small ones that hang just below my wrists, who are unenthusiastic enough about washing that they only get motivated to do it a couple of times a week, if one is lucky, have an even greater problem?

That when they're through ... my life may be at risk, due to the critters ensconced in the sink??

So ... lacking a manufactured dishwasher, what am I to do ... take the dishes out into the yard - and spray 'em with the garden hose?

ole joyful

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

You take the dishwasher salesman too seriously.

Even tho the dishwasher sprays your dishes with hot water at the force of a fire hose (that's why I will not wash my bone china in my Bosch dishwasher), minute food particles will cling to the innards (hoses, etc).

I wash by hand in my stainless steel sink, which gets a rinse of white vinegar poured in it and down the drain after washing.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I have a 5-year old dishwasher which has never been used. I soak/hand-wash my dishes in very hot water with 1/4 cup of bleach - works for me.

• cynic
    11 years ago

When you look into the facts of dishwashers, a lot of people have quit using them. Of course there's a place for them, and PROPERLY USED they can be a valuable tool. But therein lies the problem. So many people think they can put them in there, then try to save money by turning down their electric water heaters to the point that Legionella can grow. Then they use that underheated and bacteria-infested water in their dishwasher to splash day-week old food around, not totally unlike a petri dish, and then disable the dryer to save money on the economy cycle and sit in there until the next use. Now anyone who has even basic grade school science background may remember that bacteria grows well in warm, moist surroundings. Hmm. Where would that be?

There's a lot of differing opinions out there. I've read many of the arguments on both sides of this and have formed my own opinions. Hand washing properly can be better than machined improperly and vice-versa. But to say you won't get sick using a dishwasher isn't using much common sense but I certainly understand the sales pitch.

I haven't had a (mechanical) dishwasher in over 25 years. The doctor visits I've had were primarily for broken bones and other things that certainly were not caused by handwashing dishes.

If you like dishwashers, good for you and enjoy using them. Just don't get caught up with all the misinformation that is available on the internet. The internet, like the dishwasher, PROPERLY USED, can be a valuable tool, but there's so much misinformation out there, plus outright lies that believing everything can cause you a lot of trouble.

And Dorothy is certainly not spam. A couple seconds of checking, even just looking at a member page should have removed that question. But some just seem to want to...

• jannie
    11 years ago

A salesman told me hand dishwashing uses a lot more water than an electric DW, especially if you let the tap run for hand-rinsing.

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

My dishwasher has a temperature boost button. If we turn down the hot water heater, the dishwasher will heat the water to hot enough.

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

If you run your dishwasher after every meal, you will use more water than if you quickly hand wash.
    If you don't run your dishwasher until it's full - not every day....that storage of dirty dishes in the unused dishwasher is a breeding ground for germs - you save money on your water bill and get more germs in your house. Those germs nest and multply in the minute cracks in non-glazed dishes and glasses as they age.

• cate52
    11 years ago

Ahhh, preschool... a new germ pool to share...

PS. Also, if you have any dishes that have chips in the glaze, toss them as there is a break in the protective glaze.

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Unglazed ceramic is great at soaking up all kinds of stuff.

o j

• dorothy_oahu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I didn't mean to start a war here. Just with all the new things and germs floating around now It makes sense to use HOT water. Heck since I'm almost 72 there were a lot of years that I didn't have a dishwasher and I've even been camping as a kid where we sometimes had to use river water to clean the dishes and I'm still alive.

I did get a very bad case of dysentery from swimming in Lake Washing when I was a senior in high school. So did a LOT of people that weekend according the the newspaper on Monday. Oops, too late to warn the public. I was hospitalized for 10 days. That's hard to loose that much time in your senior year. But I still graduated in honor society.

And yes, I agree the worst years were when I had 2 girls in school. Man, they bring home everything that's going around and I always caught it. My sister-in-law is getting that now that she i babysitting her grandson in preschool.

I rarely get a cold or anything now. Today I read about the 5 big stores that will be going out of business soon. But I don't want to start another argument.

• dorothy_oahu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and just to let you know I'm hardly a newbie here. I was at the decorating forum when I saw the announcement about the KT opening and I came right over. That was the SECOND day and I've been here ever since. I don't post a lot anymore but I'm here.

• OnAHolliday
    11 years ago

Hand washer.
    I guess since I grew up watching mama wash dishes it seemed like the best way to do it? In any case, I'm not leery of hand washed dishes. On the other hand I'm not leery of dishwasher washed dishes either. lol

• jannie
    11 years ago

The human immune system will beat lots of those bugs. My Grandma always told me you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die.Then again, if you've ever had food poisoning...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022