Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My current upholstery projects....Pics...

Posted by nicole__ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:31

I'm in "decorating" mode. :0) So here are my current projects:

Before:

photo DSC_2251.jpg

After:

photo DSC_2252.jpg

Before:Shield Back chairs...

photo IMG_6479_zpsd0e0b81f.jpg

After: Shield back chairs(upholstered 2 of 10):

photo IMG_6501_zpse6a66d5e.jpg

Before(French pierced Victorian parlor chair):

photo IMG_6462_zps059d28eb.jpg

After........using a solid rust velvet....not completed ....yet....stained the wood.....now making a pattern....

Anticipating the finished product...

photo IMG_6507_zpsbcecaa9b.jpg

This post was edited by nicole__ on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My current upholstery projects....Pics...

Those are gorgeous. You do very nice work.

o

Absolutely awesome Nicole!!!

Jodi-

o

Great work. They look so nice.

o

Love the chairs and the fabrics you chose. I was particularly impressed with the cording on the first chair. Great job!

o

very professional thanks for sharing

o

Wow, you do a beautiful job!

Questions--

How did you learn to upholster? How much experience did you have to have to be able to do such a nice job?

o

Thank you for liking my projects!

Sheilajoyce.....

I started sewing when I was in 7th grade, I use newspaper to make "exact" patterns from the original piece when slip covering. I'm self taught. Some things like the piping, you could substitute purchased braid and glue it on instead of sewing piping. There are "work arounds" to avoid not having sewing skill when upholstering. If your covering removable cushions with zippers....then sewing skill is required.

The victorian chair is one of several pieces that are going into my friends art gallery......for visitors to sit on and they will also have price tags on them. My DH has framed photographs he'll be hanging also....

Here's a slip cover I did:
Big pic/Slipcovered Wingback Chair photo IMG_0266-1.jpg

It unzips.....

photo IMG_0276.jpg

Slipcovered wingback chairs photo IMG_0267.jpg

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 16:27

o

Absolutely beautiful..... !!!!

o

Wow Nicole! You have a great eye and each piece is perfection!!

o

What beautiful work and I love your fabric choices,

o

Such fabulous work!

o

Simply beautiful!! Isn't it funny how just a change of fabric can make such a big difference.

o

Omigosh, Nicole, you're an upholstering genius! And a decorating genius, too, with a great eye for color and design. Thanks for sharing!

o

Wow! Very professional looking!

Is there a way to compare reupholstery costs? I have a 36" X 68" roll-arm, skirted, button-back chaise (Kittinger? 1990?). It needs new fabric. It also needs to be re-tied, thanks to over-exuberant *bouncing* by a toddler grandchild. The cushion is fine. I have no idea how to judge a fair price on labor. Might you venture a guess? How long might it take to reupholster this piece?

o

In our area, reupholstery costs as much as buying new. I am so impressed with your slip cover too!!!

o

Beautiful! You have a good eye.

o

Chisue....I'm guessing 6 yds of fabric, if it's a solid color. A repeating pattern, 7yds. Then re-tying implies it all came loose, if that's all it needs about 1 hours time is figured into the cost. The cost of the fabric varies. it's from $6yd to $40 a yard for average looking fabric.

I agree with sheilajoyce......upholstery can cost MORE than a new piece. Labor is the biggest part of it! :0)

Expect to pay at least $400 to have that chaise recovered.

My cost for materials on my projects:

2 printed linen slipcovers for the wingbacks chairs: $32

The canned barrel chair off CL was free, $7 for paint & fabric.

The victorian chair cost $20 off CL, the fabric remnant was $4 from a thrift store.

This post was edited by nicole__ on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 15:31

o

I love your fabric choices, you really are talented.

o

omg i have 2 of the first chairs...boy did you give them new life by painting!

o

The new fabric on all the chairs and stain are great. You've done a nice job on them!

I'm in the change things up mood too. Suppose to be finishing up the kitchen curtains right now, visiting the kt instead!

o

Nicole -- Oh, thank you for taking time to figure an estimate. I was thinking more like a thousand dollars.

I can't find anything new that is as nice. I think it cost about $1500 from Marshall Field's in the early 1990's. (Big splurge.) It's held up beautifully, but wear is wear -- and "kids is kids".

I hold off on these things, partly because we have what DH and I term "an address tax". If it were less big and heavy I'd have my DS and DIL take it and get estimates from their city address.

o

Chisue....:0) This beautiful nailhead trimmed chaise is for sale locally for $279, comes in 3 different colors....if I were you I'd email a picture of the piece to get a quote. Once it's know to be a high end piece the upholstery price could go up. :0) Just a thought.

photo chaise_zps3f8e48ee.jpg

o

Your photographs are spectacular and your upholstering is awesome. You are a woman of many talents.

o

Wow, just Wow!!!! They are gorgeous and so is your home Nicole. How long would it take you? Do you put yourself out for hire? I don't need anything done, just a question.

o

Nicole -- What a bright idea about hiding behind email with a photo to get an estimate! (More proof that you are a very clever gal!) Thanks!

I like the chaise you posted, but...no arms. Actually, DH and our Westie are the most frequent users of our chaise. It's in a sunny corner of our master bedroom. They nap and 'bond' after lunch! LOL

o

You do such beautiful work, Nicole! I admire your talent, ability and courage to tackle those projects!

o

Nicole, if you aren't doing upholstering for a living, you should be. I would just love to have a chair like in your first picture (the black one). You are awesome!!!

o

Your all so sweet....Thank you!!!!

Jasdip....The black chair was a snap. Tearing things off is easy. :0) Spray painting is easy. I do this as a hobby, so I stop and start at my liesure. I have maybe 3 hours into that piece.

I'm just trying to fill my spare time with something interesting to do......:0)

o

OMGosh, nicole...I wish you were here--I have some chairs and ottoman that could use your magic touch!

Beautiful work and choice of patterns/colors for the chairs...you got it, girl!

nola anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here