Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$375 dollars later! Not what I had planned for today.

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:23

I have a new front window for my car!

Went to the pool this morning, my car window was fine.

Got in the car an hour later, and a long crack running across my window..

Must have happened on the way to the pool as I pass a construction site and I vaguely remember hearing a ping when driving behind one of those big trucks.

Thought at first it was water running across my window, and got home and asked the maintenance man to look at it and YEP a crack.

Insurance people asked if it was longer then a dollar bill and it was.

They got me an appointment and there's where I've been for the past 1 1/2 hours.

At least my window is clean :o)

This post was edited by glenda_al on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $375 dollars later! Not what I had planned for today.

Didn't your insurance pay for most of it? Just curious. The most I have had to pay was 100.00 and if it was deer related 0--state law as there are so many accidents involving deer.

o

My insurance pays for a new windshield, I have no out of pocket.

o

I have a $500 deductible, so I had to pay.

o

Windows unless they have a specific coverage are generally covered under your comprehensive portion of the policy. This is almost always the cheapest part of the policy and those claims generally don't effect your rates. Always if possible keep your comprehensive deductible at a minimum of $100. Ask you agent to give you the price if your deductible is $100 versus $500, I'm sure it will be worth it to you unless your driving a Cadillac Escalade.

o

Oh Yuck! Not fun.

o

I called about a new windshield, to see if it was covered. I have $500 deductible too so it's not covered. My insurance company says that windshields are rarely covered, as most people have a large deductible.

o

Deductible does not apply to windshields at least not here in MA,

o

Glenda, same thing happened to me. I was driving, heard a sharp noise, didn't see anything, next thing I knew, there was a huge crack in the windshield. I also have $500 deductible, but the windshield was covered under comprehensive, as mentioned earlier. I was only responsible for $50. I'd contact your agent and question their decision on the coverage.

o

Only $50 here, even with our $1000 deductible.
Check your policy!

o

Our windshields are $35, and we have a $250 deductible.

o

Talked with MetLife and that's what they told me. So I paid.

o

usually they pay for the windshield, no deductible.
Sorry Glenda, that's a bummer

o

Glad you were able to get it fixed so quickly. (Glad it didn't break it while you were driving, too.)

o

As told if it was those little speck, whatever crack, they would pay, but mine was spread down and across the windshield, much larger, I had to pay.

Was just sharing my experience of the day.

Enjoy your evening!

o

It's a shame your policy did not cover it....

o

Thank all for your concerns!

This post was edited by glenda_al on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 13:13

o

smh...^ what's that all about?

o

What Catalyst said?????

o

Welcome lurkers!

Come out and join the great group of KT'ers!

This post was edited by glenda_al on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 23:02

o

Glenda, people are only trying to be helpful. Why do you post about having to spend money and then get pissed off when others tell you something you don't want to hear?

o

Oh my Glenda...

I like you and I always try to support you when you get picked at....

but I think you are over reacting this time...

No one is being negetive to you....just making coments.

Sounds to me like most are hoping to help you out .

I'm surprised some even bother to open your posts.

Please read again and give it a second thought.

patti

o

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your care.

It is appreciated, honest!

o

It's the pits when a windshield cracks!

Our policies never cover it. We have a lot of vehicles and fairly high deductibles to keep the costs down. Geeze - I think I have 13 vehicles insured...I lose count.

We have a lot of "gravel in our travel", but it seems the only time I stop a rock is on the highway! Dang it! LOL

o

smh = Shaking My Head

o

When I was a kid and living on rural gravel roads, rock pits in the windshield were common. It was murder to meet an oncomming oil company truck that was flinging rocks with its dual rear wheels. Pits in the paint on the front surfaces of vehicles were the "pits".

o

Sorry the comments annoyed you. I've been selling auto,home, life etc. for 14 years. Many of my new customers come to me with $500 comprehensive deductibles and once they see it could be as little as $10.00 every 6 months to decrease that to $50-100 they are generally appreciative for the benefit of knowing, it's their decision after that. We have gravel pits all over our area some rock chips are very common to everyone as are the deer. Hope you will atleast ask your agent/representative what the cost difference would be so that you have the benefit of knowing and of course the decision is yours.

o

When I updated my car insurance, I specifically asked for glass coverage. It costs a few bucks, but is not part of the $500 deductible. I got a new windshield for my daughter's car a few months ago. Guy with a truck came to my house and did it outside in front of my house for free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here