Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never-before-seen 100-year-old photos of NYC

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 16:56

From the link:

Almost a million images of New York and its municipal operations have been made public for the first time on the internet.
The city's Department of Records officially announced the debut of the photo database.
Culled from the Municipal Archives collection of more than 2.2 million images going back to the mid-1800s, the 870,000 photographs feature all manner of city oversight -- from stately ports and bridges to grisly gangland killings.

Here is a link that might be useful: from the Daily Mail (UK) Online

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never-before-seen 100-year-old photos of NYC

I saw this link a few weeks ago (different source). Some amazing photos! :)

o

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing!

o

The 8th picture down shows the Astoria Pool before I was born. We lived not far away when I was growing up, and my friends and I would go there sometimes. My father, who was not particularly safety conscious about some things, felt the pool was probably not the healthiest place to swim, so I wasn’t allowed in the water. He was probably right!

o

Thanks Susan--they're fascinating pictures, all right! I've sent the link on to my dd who is attending school in the Bronx. I think she's fallen in love with nyc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here