BREAKFAST SKILLET POTATOES AND EGGS

1 large potato
1/2 sweet onion
1/4 lb chorizo sausage [cooked and broken up into pieces]
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oil
salt
pepper

Chop the potato into small cubes and microwave for 2 minutes to start the cooking process. Mince the onion and garlic.

In a large skillet, heat the oil and when hot, add the potato and onion. Sauté for 10 min on medium-high until the potato and onion start to brown. Add the sausage and stir.

Four minutes later, add the garlic and a bit more of the oil if needed. When the potato and onion are browning nicely and the potato is soft and browned, add the salt and pepper.

Serve with 2 over medium eggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Breakfast - Week 2 April 2013

I love breakfast recipes, Walnutcreek!

CREAM CHEESE GRITS (Sweet and Savory)

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup stone-ground grits (We used Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, or cream cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, bring cream and milk to a simmer over moderately low heat. Whisk in grits and cook, stirring often, for 25 minutes. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper. You can top off with some delicious fresh shrimp. Serves 6.

o

My favorite of all cheese toast! Can put together the night before, and stick in the oven when you get up next morning.

Cheese toast

4 slices bread
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 c grated cheese
paprika sprinkled on top: optional

Heat oven to 400.
Half bread slices
Fit together in greased shallow glass baking dish
Beat eggs, stir in rest of ingredients.
Pour over bread, sprinkle with paprika.

When you let it sit overnight it soaks up the liquids more OR let sit a while before baking.

Bake 10 minutes. Uncovered

So yummy with bacon and sliced tomatoes

This post was edited by glenda_al on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 18:32

o

I used to make these when I graduated from college and a newlywed.

Baked Egg Nests

4 slices buttered toast
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place hot buttered toast on baking sheet.
Separate egg yolks and whites, keeping yolks in half of the shell for later use.
Beat egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry, and pile on toast slices. Make a well in the center of each pile of egg white. Slip yolk into each well. Top with 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine. **don't remember doing the butter thingie
Bake 15 minutes, or until whites are lightly browned and yolks are set. Serve at once, Makes 2-4 servings.

o

lol..2 packets of instant oatmeal

our fave breakfast place takes pieces of bacon, ham and sausage,(all crumbled) hash browns (cooked and crispy) green pepper and onion...and make a 3 egg omlett, and served with too much cheese on top (i have them hold the cheese)

o

Walnutcreek, I had this very thing for dinner this evening - wonderful stuff - comfort for the body and soul!

o

Made this for a family gathering and it was gone in five minutes!

Overnight Breakfast Casserole

2 lb. pkg. frozen has brown potatoes, thawed
1/4-1/2 c. chopped onion (I left out)
1 lb. cooked, crumbled sausage (or cooked bacon or ham)
2. c. shredded Cheddar cheese
8-10 eggs
3 c. milk
Salt/pepper to taste

Spray 9x13" dish. Mix potatoes, onions, salt and pepper together and place in a pan. Spred sausage on top; then cheese. Beat eggs and milk together and pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake covered for 1 hour at 350.

o

About two cups of baby spinach /kale, half banana, handful each of fresh strawberries and blueberries, two heaping spoonfuls of greek yogurt, frozen mixed fruit, tablespoon of ground flax, small handful of pumpkin seeds, protein powder, water. Whirl in the nutribullet and enjoy.

Tomorrow's concoction will be different, other than the greens.

o

Milk

o

Okay, I thought that was funny.... :/

o

LOL, OnAHolliday, I don't eat breakfast--but I love brunch. Coffee would've been my answer, but now I can't even drink that!

o

Several years ago I belonged to a co-op electric company, they had a wonderful magazine we got for free. Each month they had the best recipes submitted from actual people that were part of the co-op. And yearly they would have contests for different types of recipes, one was for breakfasts. I entered my own creation which I have made for years, originally made strictly on the basis of what I had in my fridge at that time LOL. And I WON!! I was amazed. It was featured on the website, in the magazine and in their cookbook that they sold.
So here it is my award winning breakfast. I called it the Full Meal Deal, because it has a lot in it.

full meal deal

Thick sliced bacon
Frozen hash brown patties
Fresh sliced mushrooms
Diced ham or cooked crumbled sausage or diced cooked smoked sausage (1 lb. or so enough to cover)
6 eggs
1tsp Tony chachere Cajun seasoning
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
Sliced jalapeno cheese (or crumbled)
1 cup grated cheese like Colby jack or mexi blend

In 13x9 casserole sprayed lightly with pam
Layer in as following
Raw thick sliced bacon then
hash browns and sliced mushrooms then
Sliced jalapeno cheese then
The meat of your choice then
6 eggs beaten with 1tsp Tonys and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce then
Pour eggs on top of casserole then
Top with more sliced jalapeno cheese and 1 cup of grated cheese
Bake at 350 for 1 hr. (If top starts getting too brown cover for remaining cooking time with foil)
* Optional add diced green bell pepper and onion with the mushrooms.

Do NOT use the frozen shredded hashbrowns or anything like that they will be too soggy, the hash brown frozen patties work best because they are already fairly well cooked and crispy right out of the pack. Some people have told me they used tater tots too I have not tried that.

I thought some might enjoy the website for that co-op magazine it is a wonderful magazine and you can view them online. You can see the various contests and if you love cookbooks their cookbook that is for sale on the site is wonderful! I highly recommend it. I am no longer a member since we don't live in that area now but I do like to go read the magazines on the site, you don't have to be a member to see that stuff.
Texas Co-op Power : An Online Community for Members of Texas Electric Cooperatives

cookbook
60 Years of Home Cooking
All contributions by actual people that belong to the co-op.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 14:58

o

I just found this one on the co-op website that sounds wonderful. It was a first place winner.
Eggs New Orleans

Elegant, easy and delicious: That’s definitely a winning combination for a brunch recipe. The smoky flavor of the salmon and richness of the sour cream sauce made this dish a winner. “One of the most enjoyable things about this dish is that it requires only a very short preparation time and is very simple,” wrote Bluebonnet Electric Cooperative member Rick Landwehr, who submitted this first-place brunch dish.

1/4 cup diced onions
Butter or oil for sauté
1 dozen eggs
4 ounces shredded smoked salmon
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 ounces sherry, optional
6 English muffins to serve

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly sauté onions in butter or oil. Break 1 dozen eggs into lightly greased 9-inch casserole dish. In separate bowl gently combine onions, salmon, sour cream, cheese, mustard and, if using, sherry. Spoon mixture over eggs, being careful not to break yolks. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until yolks are cooked. Serve over toasted English muffin halves.

Servings: 6. Serving size: 2 eggs and 1 muffin. Per serving: 534 calories, 32.7 g protein, 27.8 g fat, 32.1 g carbohydrates, 1.7 g dietary fiber, 930 mg sodium, 4.3 g sugars, 432 mg cholesterol

Rick Landwehr, Bluebonnet Electric Cooperative
Eggs New Orleans

o

For something a bit different given to me only 10 years ago from a dear friends 80 year old Calabrian mother.

Uovo Calabrese (Eggs Calabrese)

In a non stick skillet, in about 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Sautee
1 finely chopped cooking onion
1 shallot
2 cloves (or more) garlic
Dried chilies to taste
Salt, pepper
Add,
½ can whole peeled plumb tomatos, coursly chopped, (San Marzanno if available)

Bring to boil then to rolling simmer for 15 minutes, the longer the better, 30 minutes is best.

Add 6 beaten eggs
Fold until eggs are done,
Add parmesan cheese, the real stuff Kraft not allowed or I will find you.
Serve and top with more parmesan cheese.

More then 6 eggs is fine. The ratio of sauce to scrambled eggs is a personal preference.

I should say also, if you add finely chopped carrot and celery to the onions etc. Brown lean ground beef and or pork add a full can (36 Oz) simmer for 30 mins you have a basic Bolianesse sauce.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 15:53

o

Breakfast is my favorite meal. Thanks for some lovely recipes that I will be sure to save.

Here is one attributed to the U. S. Navy.

BREAKFAST GRAVY NAVY STYLE

1 pound ground meat or chipped beef
1/2 cup chopped green onions or 1 diced medium onion
1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pint of milk (sometimes a little more)

If using ground meat, brown meat first, then saute onions with the browned meat. If using chipped beef, use 2 teaspoons cooking oil and saute the onions. Then add mushroom soup, celery soup, black pepper,
and milk. Stir continuously while cooking over a low heat. If gravy tends to thicken too much, just add more milk. (No salt is needed as the soups have enough. Delicious served on biscuits or on toast.)

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

o

WEEKEND BISCUIT EGG CASSEROLE (At Home with Lady B)

1 can of buttermilk biscuits (8 count)- (like Pillsbury Grands Biscuits)
1 pound of any breakfast sausage roll (browned, drained, and cooled)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
5 eggs, beaten
2 egg whites
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 °F. Crumble and cook sausage in s skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain.
Line bottom of greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish with biscuit dough, firmly pressing perforations to seal.
Sprinkle with sausage and cheeses. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until blended; pour over sausage and cheese.

Bake 30 minutes or until set (A knife should come out clean when inserted in the center). Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares; serve warm. Enjoy!

o

Having given the recipe for the Navy SOS, I have to post our very favorite Air Force SOS; it is a great camping dish, too.

Air Force SOS

Serving Size : 6

I have used this recipe for years. I obtained this recipe while living in Germany. It was in a military magazine. The timeframe was in the early 1970s. Everyone who has had it loves it.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup flour
dash pepper
2 teaspoons beef flavored instant bouillon
3/4 cup dry milk
3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef in its own fat in skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add flour, pepper, salt and bouillon to beef; mix thoroughly and cook about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed.

Reconstitute milk; add to beef mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce; heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.

o

One of my favorite breakfasts the my DM made was scrambled pamcakes. You mix up your pancake batter and take a pan, I think she usually used a cast iron one and put some oil in it and heated it until nice and hot. Then you cover the bottom of the pan with about an inch and a half of batter or maybe more. You let it fry until nice and brown but not black and then you start scrambling it. keep frying until all of the batter is dry. I think the reason she did this is because it would take too long to fry pancakes for 12 of us. There are lots of recipes in cookbooks and on the internet. In english it is called stirrum. Ok maybe thats not english but it is what it is called in cookbooks. In german we called it ei studles Maybe Oklamoni can explain this better

o

This is a nice addition for brunch.

Yogurt Strawberry Fruit Salad

1/2 pint fresh strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 pint blueberries
2 peaches
2 c. yogurt (unflavored recommended)
3 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. cinnamon

Wash, drain and hull the strawberries. Cut the berries in two. Cut the bananas and peaches into 1/2 inch pieces. In a large mixing bowl, place the yogurt, honey and cinnamon. Mix well. Add the fruit. Chill. Serves 6. You could sprinkle granola on top.

o

New Years' Sausage

1 lb. bulk sausage
1 loaf French bread
3 eggs
1 c. milk
6 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
6 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Cook sausage in a heavy skilled until done; drain fat. Slice the top off French bread lengthwise. Hollow out bottom of loaf. Bread bread into small pieces and toast to make about 3 cups of bread crumbs. Beat eggs until foamy, add milk, 1/3 of the Cheddar, 1/3 of the Jack, drained sausage and bread crumbs. Mix well. Fill hollow of bread loaf with mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over mixture. Pack well. Cover with bread top. Wrap in foil and bake at 300 for 30 to 40 minutes or until cheeses melt and seal the loaf together. To serve, cut in 2" slices.

o

Bengardening, that is one I never heard of, but makes sense to me.

Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Preheat and lightly grease a large skillet or electric griddle.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together in a bowl (Mom always sifted it all, but I just stire together). Add the egg, buttermilk, and butter; stir together lightly, but keep it lumpy. The batter should look thick, sponge-like, and puffy.

Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into the skillet, spreading lightly if necessary. Cook until lightly-browned on each side, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

o

Does anyone have a recipe for a French toast casserole? patty..I am going to have to try your NY sausage recipe for a brunch I am having...yumm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here