Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
$18,000 in come and an $18,000 tax refund.

Posted by kat__wa (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 16:15

You hear stories about this. But I always had a hard time
believing it. But my nephew got married last year, they have
3 children, 5, 3 and 18 months old. He made $18,000
last year and got an $18,000 refund. wow. he has no
desire to find any other kind of work (logger), no desire
to move up in the company, this just keeps people on the
welfare rolls I guess. The kids teeth are already full
of fillings, I mean FULL... nephews wife has been giving
then soda and coffee since they could hold their little
sippy cups. I mentioned how that wasn't good for the
kids and their teeth, and her retort was "well, it didn't
hurt me and we don't have to pay for the dentist!" My
brother in law's step son doesn't seem to care either.

anywhoooooo. this isn't about the kids nutrition (I tried!
the were here from Idaho for 5 days last week) but
how do you get a tax refund equal to the amount of $$$ you
made. I would sure like to do that! lol
I know 51% of the people don't pay income taxes, but I
really didn't realize that they got THAT much back.

I was stunned
Yikes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: $18,000 in come and an $18,000 tax refund.

Well, I know from listening to the Dave Ramsey show that they qualify for living below the poverty level. Maybe that had something to do with it.

o

geez... as soon as I hit enter, I thought I shouldn't
post it! lol PLEASE no fighting or anything...
I was just curious and shocked to find out those kind of
stores are true

o

I figured out a very long time ago that a lot, not all, people that live this way have no desire to do any better for themselves. Why should they, they get all the free lunches, health care, food stamps and on and on.. Now they get free money from all of us, too. Until the government decides to stop all of this it will never change. Now the government wants to take from the ones that have worked hard all their lives to make things even for all. This is not right. Do you want to make a hundred bucks and give someone that doesn't want to work fifty of it to make things fair because they are content living this way?

I know some do need help and I don't mind helping them but it's the ones that just sit back and take that could do better that I am upset with.

Sorry to say, your family member is one of those that have decided to take. Just what do you suppose they will do with the $18,000 return? I bet it isn't what we would choose to do with it.. Sad, but true.

I think you should have posted this in Hot Topics because it sure is one to many.

o
RE: $18,000 in come and an $18,000.kjb tax refund.

yes, Susie, I agree with you.
I should have posted it in hot topics too! I knew it
right after I hit submit! dang it...

PLEASE DON'T POST ON THIS ANYMORE PLEASE.. LET IT SINK
TO THE BOTTOM
DON'T WANT ANYONE GETTING BANNED BECAUSE OF ME! LOLl;kj

o

Let's not forget - these guys are pikers when compared with the Wall Street bankers, and other huge companies, who did your government for huge amounts.

Are many of the corporations so poor that they can't get by without major government largesse?

ole joyful

o

Also, there was a story on either the news or a news type program about a family receiving a $54,000 tax refund. It had to do with a special credit for each adopted child and they had several children they had adopted.

o

don't be sorry..it's just another story of another family...(love to see the tax table, lol) i must say i'm in awe of logging industry..i can remember getting behind those trucks when we lived in wa...scary!

o

Kat, you didn't post this in a mean way.. You don't agree with it anymore then a lot of others. Don't worry about being banned or this being deleted.

o

don't be sorry..it's just another story of another family...(love to see the tax table, lol) i must say i'm in awe of logging industry..i can remember getting behind those trucks when we lived in wa...scary!

if i'm reading the tax table correctly...

personal standard deductions are $3400 per person...and the tax on 18,000 tax table is 1866 (filing jointly) guess it can be done...

o

I've heard of getting back more than you paid in income tax.... like paid $3000 & got back a refund of $3500, because of "Making Work Pay" and "Earned Income Credit". But color me skeptical that you could get a refund of $18 K on an income of the same amount.

o

I agree, you shouldn't feel sorry Kat. You mainly posted it to vent out your disapproval of your nephew worthlessness.

Funny how life and people are. I've been disabled all my life and all my life I refused to do what your nephew is doing. I worked hard because I enjoyed spending my own money rather than the government's & the taxpayers'. I'm not one that likes to abuse the system.

Almost 2 years ago, my disability changed its course and forced me to quit working. I am now living on disability income. You just don't know how much I miss going to work and make my own money. When I had to apply, the social security agent could see how much I was in distressed. She tried to comfort me by stressing out that I've paid my dues all these working years. And, that I shouldn't feel bad now for living on SS Disability, that's what was there for.

I am not depressed but I feel empty and useless. I don't understand how anyone would enjoy or accept feeling this way.

A counselor had told me that it's usually how she has seen. The physical cabable ones don't want to work and just want to live on welfare; yet, the disabled ones try harder to be in among the working force.

The system is there to help the needy ones but there are so much abuse over it. It's very sadden indeed.

o

Don't feel bad about posting--you are just expressing your feelings and I know how you feel. I too would be curious if they really paid that much in. Have a great day and I am due to the fact that most of the snow is GONE, but the flooding is not good in some areas. The farmers will be about a month late getting into the fields and some may not make it at all.
Beautiful day sun and no wind.

o

Unbelievable how those tax credits work. Next year my husband will be 65 and I expect an extra exemption, we may get money back. but not anything like $18,000!! When I was a kid, we lived next door to a family who kept taking in foster children, mostly disabled. My mother said they did it to "make money", but I prefer to remember them as kind people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here