Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Potato Salad - Week 4 April 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 14:36

This is one of my all-time favorite potato salads.

Louise's Potato Salad

I worked with Louise at the Lexington VA Medical Center. Louise was a wonderful cook and we always looked forward to whatever she decided to bring to a potluck. This was during the late 1970s/early 1980s. This salad is just delicious.

Items in parentheses are Louise’s.

3 pounds boiling potatoes - 10-12 medium
3 T vinegar
1/3 cup French dressing (I use the light orange French dressing rather that the dark red French. I also use more if
needed due to size of potatoes.)
1 t salt
2 t grated onion, optional (I like to use a whole onion)
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I add more Hellman’s if needed due to size of potatoes)
3 hard cooked eggs
1 cup diced celery

Boil scrubbed potatoes adding 1 t salt to each quart of water. Cool and peel and dice to a size to suit yourself.

Combine vinegar, French dressing, and salt and pour over potatoes. Toss lightly and cover. Marinate 3 hours at least - either room temperature or in refrigerator.

Blend onion with cream cheese, then gradually add mayonnaise (no lumps); beat until smooth.
Add to potatoes along with 2 sliced eggs and celery. Toss and garnish with remaining egg, then refrigerate.

Serves 8 - 12.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Potato Salad - Week 4 April 2013

I don't think any two people make potato salad alike. The way I make it is similar to how my mother made it, with a couple of additions my sister did, and a little bit extra that I do.

I use russet potatoes...all measurements are to taste or how it looks as I am making it.
Celery
Green onions or purple onions or even yellow onions
Bell pepper, if you like that
Claussen dill pickles or a good cold kosher dill like Claussen
Sliced stuffed olives (sister)
Celery seed (sister)
Boiled eggs

I mix mustard with mayonnaise until the color is about the same as the boiled egg yolks. Add enough juice from the pickle jar to make a pourable dressing. Pour over potato salad and toss. Add the sprinkle in the celery seed and some of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning...which is just a seasoned salt. Then I add a package of the real bacon bits that you can get on the condiment isle of the supermarket, next to the salad dressings. You can cook bacon and add that instead, but the bacon pieces or bits in the packages are perfect.

o

Sounds good. I find most potato salad recipes too bland and uninteresting. To my potato salad I add lots of diced hard boiled eggs, lots of celery, lots of paprika, mayo, dab of prepared mustard and a lot of Del Monte Sweet Pickle Relish and the juice. The pickle relish really helps give it a good flavor, but it has to be this exact brand.

o

I make mine about like Sheilajoyce's except I probably add more mustard than she does, plus I use celery seed and I always use dill relish and juice instead of sweet.

o

I prefer yellow potatoes like Yukon golds over russets for potato salad because of their firmer flesh. I use fresh dill rather than pickles or relish and make the dressing from mayonnaise, yellow mustard, chopped fresh dill, paprika, salt and pepper. I like two hard boiled eggs per pound of potatoes plus plenty of celery and onion. I've been craving potato salad for a while...maybe it's time to make up a batch.

o

Funny you should ask since we are having Potato Salad for dinner tonight.

I never liked PS until I found this recipe. I think it has to do with the potatoes being sliced instead of cubed. I don't like biting into a big piece of cold potato. Also, Mama always put lots of celery in it and I'm not a fan of raw celery. I do like it cooked though.

I once (many years ago) saw Phyllis Diller on a talk show and she was talking about her PS. It actually sounded good to me and I've been making it every since.

Phyllis Diller Potato Salad
4 large potaotes
1 large vidalia onion (finely chopped)
1 cup mayonaise
1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Dash of vinegar

Cook potatoes until tender. Drain & cut into thin slices. Mix remaining ingredients together and put on potatoes. Mix well. Do not add anything else! (I sometimes cheat and add a little pepper and dill.)

o

I love potato salad and I like all these recipes. I make a good potato salad, very similar to these. I learned from my father who made a separate dish for me when I was young because I thought I didn't like onions!

o

I make mine like Sheilajoyce, too, except I use dill pickle relish and a good sprinkling of celery seed also.

I've also made this recipe several times--made it when the kids were here and they loved it.

French Potato Salad

2 lb. small red new potatoes (I used 7 med. sized)
5 strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill or 2 tsp. dried
4 green onions, chopped (I used 6)
1/3 c. finely chopped red onion

Dressing:

1/3 c. red wine vinegar (I've also used rice wine vinegar and prefer it over the red)
3/4 c. olive oil
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
Fresh ground black pepper

Boil potationes until just tender. Drain and cut into cubes. Place in a salad bowl with remaining salad ingredients. Combine dressing ingredients, mix well and toss with warm potatoes. Salad should marinate in dressing several hours in refrigerator. Gets better the longer it sits.

o

I use the smallest new potatoes I can find
Leave skin on
Boil or steam
Halve the larger ones
Add thinly sliced green onions, finely chopped celery and bell pepper, minced parsley, Olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, garlic powder, freshly ground pepper and really good finishing salt.

o

I could make a meal just off of saltine crackers and potato salad.

o

Oh, I forgot to mention green onions too.

o

In my family I am always asked to bring the potato salad, and have to leave the left overs.

Easy Peasy Potato Salad

I use red potatoes as many as needed, I wash them and cut them bite size~boil til done. Drain

Chop a red onion up, sweet pickles, celery and hard boiled eggs~~

Put it all in a big bowl add Hidden Valley Ranch dressing;) That is my secret ingred~~~strangers ask me my secret;) I just smile and never tell~~~

o

The beauty of potato salad is that you can put in what you like, leave out what you don't like and vary it to match what you're having with it.

For me, potato salad is not a recipe but rather a guideline. Seasonings vary with what's handy and what it's served with. If I want it to be more of a main course I'll add more bacon and even some pepperoni.

What I've done lately is different than what I used to do. There's a lot of ingredients I like to include, not all have to go in, it all depends on what I have. Pretty much decided on it by taking a number of recipes and going with things I like. Then I saw Emeril's Favorite Potato Salad and used that as a base, revised and tweaked until I found a system I like. Here's essentially what I do:

I use white russet potatoes. Reds are too often undercooked. I like white russets. Cook the potatoes whole, then peel and give it a splash of vinegar or lemon juice while the taters are hot or at least warm. Much easier to peel cooked potatoes

I like a lot of egg. and I like the potatoes and egg to be larger pieces, slices or chunks - doesn't really matter.
Quite a bit of onion. (I've substituted onion soup mix on occasion when needed) I prefer the purple/red onion but will use other, including green onion.
I've put some green pepper in there once or twice but it's not a favorite
Celery, diced finely
Radishes, sliced or julienned
Bacon, in decent sized pieces (and pour a little bacon grease on the potatoes with a splash of vinegar)
For the dressing I use a mixture of sour cream, salad dressing (Miracle Whip or generic) and Ranch Dressing. I have used a ranch dip, bacon dip or an onion dip as a substitute too. Hellman's is too bland, as are most every mayo and I want some taste in my potato salad.
Seasonings include:
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, lemon pepper, a touch of cayenne, chili powder or usually Louisiana Hot sauce, celery seed, garlic powder, smoked paprika, Italian Seasoning, dill weed, parsley, a little bit of dry mustard powder... and/or whatever is around. Maybe some cajun, or poultry seasoning depending on mood, etc.
I might add some shredded cheese but usually it's not necessary. Occasionally some BBQ sauce or Western Dressing (just a dash). Not out of the question to even put in some corn, Veg-All or something too.

These aren't hard and fast rules, you can vary it according to what you have and what you like. Feel free to be creative. I've even put in cauliflower, broccoli and carrot.

What I do NOT put in: I do not like a lot of mustard and I dislike pickles or relish in my potato salad. I prefer a touch of mustard powder and some dill weed. If the sauce is yellow it's got too much mustard.

It needs to sit a while to blend flavors. I don't drown it in dressing. Have it moist but be able to identify the ingredients. The dressing should flavor it not be a soup base.

o

I like my potato salad pretty plain. I like red bliss potatoes, vidalia onion, small amount of chopped dill pickle, salt & pepper, and a dressing that's half mayo and half sour cream. Also prefer it room temperature so I don't add the dressing until just before serving.

o

Aunt Angie's Green Bean Potato Salad

6 servings

Serve this salad with grilled Italian sausages.

2 pounds green beans
2 pounds red salad potatoes
3 teaspoons dried oregano
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Trim and cut the beans into bite-size pieces.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the whole potatoes until just done, about 20 minutes (test for doneness with the tip of a knife). The beans can be steamed in a steamer tray over the potatoes while they cook, or steamed in a separate pot. Steam until tender-crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Drain potatoes and allow them to cool enough to handle. Rinse beans in cold water to stop cooking. Cut potatoes into quarters. In large bowl, combine potatoes and beans. Sprinkle the warm potatoes and beans with the oregano.

Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic powder salt and pepper. Pour over the warm beans and potatoes. Toss and serve.

o

I'm not that fond of mayonnaise potato salads.
I came across this one last summer and I made it often for us. I used lovage and chives that I grow in my little garden.

Herb Potato Salad (Real Simple)

1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 15), halved if large
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, and chives)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
kosher salt and black pepper

Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket; bring the water to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover, and steam until tender, 12 to 14 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the herbs, scallions, oil, mustard, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and toss to combine.

o

y mother made the best potato salad I think and my brothers is pretty close to it. Boil red potatoes. Put them in cold water and peel while they are still warm. She always sliced them but some cut them up into squares. Add quite a bit of chopped onion. Use an oil and vinegar dressing. Her mother always said you have to use wesson oil for it to be good. MY DM always poured the oil in it and measured a few TB of vinegar in it and mixed it up. Add salt and pepper to taste. Her dear cousin used to cook for all of the weddings in my hometown and she said its supposed to be equal amounts of oil and vinegar. If there was some left over the next day she would add sliced hard boiled eggs to it to make it go farther for all 12 of us.

o

I wish that I could duplicate the potato salad sold at the now defunct Kaplan's Deli in Monticello, NY. What great food! Even though I waitressed there during my first two college years, I never tried to wheedle any recipes.

It was a very creamy dish, I doubt that it had mustard in it.

o

Here is one with no mayonnaise. I just received it and have not tried it yet. It does sound good.

Santa Fe Potato Salad

2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2-4 cloves garlic
1-3 jalapeño chiles, seeds removed if desired
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 15-ounce can hominy, drained
2-3 scallions (spring onions), green and white parts, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and cool until you are able to handle them. Peel the potatoes if desired and coarsely chop. Place in a large bowl.

Combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeños, cumin, and oregano in an electric blender and puree until almost smooth. Pour over the potatoes and add the remaining ingredients. Toss gently and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.

o

Always A Winner Potato Salad

10 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
12 eggs
3 bunches green onions, chopped
6 dill pickles, chopped
1 4-ounce can shrimp
1 4-ounce can small shrimp, drained
2 cups low-fat mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons celery salt
2 tablespoons paprika

Place potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water. Boil until soft. Remove from water; set aside to cool. Peel, and then chop into bite size chunks.

Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil for one minute. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Peel, and chop.

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, green onions, dill pickles, and cans of shrimp. Mix in mayonnaise, celery salt, and paprika. Season to taste with salt an ground black pepper. Chill for 2 hours, and serve.

o

This is from Wizardnm (Nancy) and is wonderful.

Blue Cheese Potato Salad

3# cooked red potatoes, cooled and chopped
1/4 C dry white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 C mayo (Hellman's)
1/2 C sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
3 green onions, chopped fine
1 C coarsely chopped celery

In a large bowl combine potatoes, wine, salt and pepper. Let sit until the wine is absorbed by the potatoes, about 30 minutes.

Combine mayo with remaining ingredients. Add to potatoes and stir well. Allow about 30 minutes for flavors to combine before serving.

This is great with a good steak or grilled tenderloin.

o

I have so many great recipes for potato salad, have decided to post more than the one today.

This can easily be halved.

Hot German Potato Salad

8 med. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 c. water
2/3 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. quick tapioca
1 t. salt
3/4 t. celery seed
1/2 t. pepper
6 strips bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley

Combine potatoes, celery and onion; put into slow cooker..mix all other ingredients up to pepper and mix; pour over potatoes and stir it all gently. Cover tightly and cook on high 4-5 hours. Before you serve, taste again for salt/pepper and sweet/sour balance. Garnish w/ bacon and parsley and chopped green onions if you want to.

o

I don't like hard boiled eggs, so I am enjoying all the recipes that do not call for eggs.

o

Southern France Style Potato Salad

Recipe from: Fresh from a Monastery Garden by VICTOR D'AVILA-LATOURRETTE

1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, cooked and peeled
6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
6 small ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 small red onion, sliced
1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced in half
5 tablespoons capers

Vinaigrette
1/3 cup olive oil (more if needed)
4 tablespoons tarragon vinegar (more if needed)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Cut the potatoes into dice size and place them in a good-size salad bowl. Add the chopped hard-boiled eggs, quartered tomatoes, sliced onion, olives, and capers.

Prepare the vinaigrette by combing all the ingredients well. You may add more oil and/or vinegar as needed. Just before serving, pour the vinaigrette dressing over the vegetables. Toss gently and see that the vegetables are well coated. Check the seasonings and serve.

Mustard Potato Salad

10-12 potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced or mashed
3 diced hard boiled eggs
1 onion, diced
1/2 c. relish (dill or sweet)
1 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. mustard
1/4 c. sugar
2 t. salt
1/2 t. black or white pepper
1 t. white vinegar

Combine potatoes, onion, eggs, and relish in large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Blend well. Pour dressing over potatoes. Blend well. Chill for at least a couple of hours.

o

Here are the last of my potato salad recipes.

Furman’s Sour Cream Potato Salad

1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
3 pounds new potatoes, cooked in jackets, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup minced green onions, including tops
1/4 cup finely minced parsley
1 large dill pickle, diced or 1/2 cup dill relish
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard

In a mixing bowl, pour dressing over diced, warm potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste; stir well.
Add celery, green onions, parsley and pickle to bowl and stir.

In a separate bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard. Blend and add to potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours before serving.

For a variation: Stir in crisp, crumbled bacon just prior to serving.

Serves 10.

Recipe from William Furman in "Lone Star Legacy II Cookbook"

Italian Potato Salad

5 cups cooked potatoes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 cup Provolone cheese, diced
3/4 cup hard Italian sausage, cubed
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup pepperoni, chopped
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup brine from peperoncini
1/2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Toss together first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Blend sour cream, brine, oregano and salt in small bowl. Add to potato mixture, tossing to blend. Fold in half the tomatoes. Chill, covered, for several hours. Garnish with remaining tomatoes and parsley.

Shortcut Potato Salad

1 32-ounce package frozen Southern style hash browns (the little cubed ones)
3 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
5 strips bacon, cooked crispy and crumpled
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1⁄3 cup sweet relish or diced sweet pickles
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place cubed hash browns in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once potatoes reach a boil, boil them for two to three minutes and then drain in a collander. Place in large mixing bowl and stir in cheese. Add mayo, mustard, and relish and stir again. Add in bacon, eggs, and salt and pepper. Stir. Refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here