SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for Slaw - Week 5 April 2013

We love slaws. Here is one of our favorite that I first tried in 1974 shortly after I received the magazine.

Carolina Coleslaw

This makes such a large amount, I normally half the recipe. I got this recipe from the July 1974 issue of Family Circle. There was a Grass Roots Cook article about a Mrs. McCollum, a farm wife in North Carolina, which contained several of her recipes. We absolutely love this slaw. I get many requests for the recipe. As Mrs. McCollum said, âÂÂIt just gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.âÂÂ

Slaw
1 large cabbage (about 3 pounds), trimmed, quartered, and cored
1 medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and minced (for color use ý green pepper and
ý sweet red pepper)
1 medium size sweet onion, (Bermuda or Spanish), peeled and chopped fine

Dressing
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

With a sharp knife, slice each cabbage quarter very fine; combine with green pepper and onion in a large bowl and toss to mix.

Mix sugar, salt, mustard, and celery seeds in a small saucepan; add vinegar and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage and toss well to mix. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Comments (15)