Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes for Slaw - Week 5 April 2013

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:04

We love slaws. Here is one of our favorite that I first tried in 1974 shortly after I received the magazine.

Carolina Coleslaw

This makes such a large amount, I normally half the recipe. I got this recipe from the July 1974 issue of Family Circle. There was a Grass Roots Cook article about a Mrs. McCollum, a farm wife in North Carolina, which contained several of her recipes. We absolutely love this slaw. I get many requests for the recipe. As Mrs. McCollum said, “It just gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.”

Slaw
1 large cabbage (about 3 pounds), trimmed, quartered, and cored
1 medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and minced (for color use ½ green pepper and
½ sweet red pepper)
1 medium size sweet onion, (Bermuda or Spanish), peeled and chopped fine

Dressing
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

With a sharp knife, slice each cabbage quarter very fine; combine with green pepper and onion in a large bowl and toss to mix.

Mix sugar, salt, mustard, and celery seeds in a small saucepan; add vinegar and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage and toss well to mix. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipes for Slaw - Week 5 April 2013

Had a coleslaw like this on the two trips to Alaska.
Karla, from Wasilla AK , a former KT'er, managed to find the recipe. Thus named Alaskan Coleslaw!

Alaska cole slaw
5 cups shredded cabbage **I buy the preshredded plain, no carrots, etc at WalMart
1/2 cups almond slivers, toasted
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup celery, diced**don't use
1/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper **don't use

This is the creamy dressing I used and it works great:

mix 1/2 c mayo with 2 Tbl cider vinegar **I used white wine vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste Pour over coleslaw right before serving and toss JUST TO COAT

Combine cabbage, almonds, cranberries, celery, green onions, and green pepper in a large plastic bowl with a snap-on lid.
Combine all dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Pour dressing over slaw just before serving. Stir well

o

This is a cole slaw salad that makes the rounds at church functions here:

1 bag pre-cut slaw mix
1 box ring macaroni,cooked
1 cucumber, diced
1 green pepper,diced
1 can water chestnuts, drained
1 medium red onion, diced
1 2/3 cup Miracle Whip
1/3 cup sugar (recipe calls for 1 full cup, but that's way too much)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup vinegar

In a large bowl, add slaw mix, macaroni, cucumber, green pepper, water chestnuts and onion. Mix Miracle Whip, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar. Add to salad mixture. Chill.

o

I've given this recipe several times...but it is the only slaw I like, because I don't like sweet slaws. This was the House Special at a nearby seafood restaurant for many years. When they were wiped out by a hurricane, they never rebuilt. One of the former waitresses gave me the recipe.

Shrimp Cole Slaw

Shredded cabbage....I like to hand shred mine with a knife and cut it into fine shreds

Green or purple onions...I prefer purple

A little carrot shredded in for color

They used small shrimp but I prefer big shrimp that I cut in about 3 pieces.

Dress it with mayonnaise thinned with Italian dressing. I use Zesty Italian. Add a little white pepper and a little garlic powder and I add a sprinkle of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning,which is just a seasoned salt.

Like most of the things I cook....no specific amounts, but it is easy to make. I add a lot of shrimp because I have access to shrimp. Shrimp slaw with some saltine crackers......yum!

o

Joe Vigne’s Coleslaw

I took this recipe from the Fort Worth Star Telegram when I first moved to Arlington in 1989. It was said to be the recipe for the much sought after coleslaw sold at an old BBQ restaurant in Arlington Heights in Fort Worth ��" Old Joe Vigne’s BBQ. This slaw is so, so, so good. We just love to eat it (sometimes just by itself). It is a wonderful, creamy coleslaw.

1 small head cabbage, shredded
2 large carrots, shredded
3 scallions, chopped (I use the whole bunch of scallions)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 T prepared mustard
1/3 cup mayonnaise

Toss vegetables together.

Combine sugar and vinegar and stir until sugar dissolves. Add evaporated milk and mix well. Add mayonnaise and mix well. Pour over vegetables and toss. Serves 6

o

This one is different. I make it occasionally and we do enjoy it for a change.

Pineapple Walnut Grape Slaw

1 small head of green cabbage sliced fine placed in a plastic bag with 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of white vinegar; let that marinade for 1 hour
pour out the liquid and place the cabbage in a large bowl
add 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks, (reserve the liquid)
Add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
Add 1cup of green grapes cut in half
Add 1/2 cup of mayonaise
Add 1/8 t of black pepper
Add 1/2 t of kosher salt
Add 1/4 cup of golden raisins (optional)
Add1/2 cup of dried cranberries
Add 1/4 cup of chopped shallots, miunced fine
If needed add some sugar or white vinegar or pinapple juice to balance the sweet to savory as desired
Make about 2 to 3 hours before serving, refrigerate then serve....generally enough for about 10 people.

o

Everyone loves this when I take it to family gatherings.

Asian Coleslaw

1 Napa cabbage
1 bunch green onions (I just finely dice a cooking onion)
Slice the cabbage and onions and refrigerate.

2 pkg Oriental flavour raman noodles, crushed finely (throw out the seasoning package)
1/4 lb butter or margarine
3-4 oz sliced or slivered almonds
1/2 cup sesame seeds.

Combine noodles, butter, almonds and sesame seeds in a skillet and stir constantly until browned.

In a saucepan combine
1/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar.

Heat until slightly thickened, approximately 15 minutes.

There is enough dressing and nut mixture for a couple of salads, and the dressing keeps in the frig for a couple of weeks.

o

This is great with BBQ pork.

Jicama and Carrot Slaw

This slaw is best served an hour or so after you put the ingredients together. It allows the flavors to meld together but nothing gets soggy or soft. Try to time this out accordingly; no one likes a soggy slaw. If you need to, matchstick everything and make your dressing separately, then put together and start the clock. Don’t do this too far ahead, but prepping the morning of wouldn’t be horrible. Just make sure everything is tightly covered. This salad packs some heat, but not a crazy amount. Feel free to reduce the jalapeno to half of one if you’d like.

1 1/4 pound jicama, peeled
1 pound carrots, peeled
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 jalapeno chili, very finely diced
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup sour cream (or substitute a good, thick plain Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Chop your jicama and carrots into matchsticks using either a knife (this will take time or use the largest holes of a box grater). Finely chop the cilantro leaves and place in a large bowl. Add the diced jalapeno, lime juice, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), mayonnaise, salt, and chili powder and whisk together until all ingredients are incorporated (the dressing will be on the thick side because both the carrot and the jicama will lend a little liquid to the mix as they sit together).

Add the jicama and carrots and toss well to coat evenly with the dressing. Cover tightly and refrigerate for about an hour to allow flavors to blend. Keep in refrigerator until serving. When ready, remove the slaw, toss again to distribute the dressing, and season to taste with salt and ground pepper.

Serves 8-10

o

Tennessee Style Mustard Slaw

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 medium head cabbage, shredded

Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds in a bowl. Add cabbage and toss. Chill.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Cole Slaw

8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
1/4 cup diced carrots (finely)
2 tablespoons minced onions

Dressing:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cabbage and carrots must be finely diced. Pour cabbage and carrot mixture into large bowl and stir in minced onions.

Prepare the dressing, mix until smooth and creamy. Pour over Slaw and mix thoroughly.

Cover bowl and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

o

I am not fond of raw cabbage, so cole slaw is not on my list of faves, but I do kind of like that one that has the ramen noodles in it. Someone has posted it, so I don't have a recipe to contribute, but so glad to see all the variations.

o

I've never had jicama. I'll have to check it out at the store. Is it hard to peel?

o

Pineapple Chunk Coleslaw

1 can (20.5 oz) pineapple chunks
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 t grated onion
2 t prepared mustard
1/2 t salt
Dash cayenne
1 quart shredded cabbabe

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup of the syrup. Chill pineapple. Combine mayo, pineapple syrup, grated onion, mustard, salt and cayenne;mix well. Add to chilled pineapple chunks and cabbage. Toss lightly.

You can adapt this anyway you want to. However, the parsley, parsnip, and celery seed are considered to be vital to the final taste of this slaw.

Karl’s Much Requested Slaw

Cut, salt, rinse and drain the shredded and cut veggies the day before serving, put it in a heavy plastic bag and then squeeze the remaining moisture out, through a small hole cut from a corner of the bag, just before seasoning.

1 large (or 2 small) head(s) green Savoy cabbage
1 small head red cabbage, shredded (no more than 1 part red cabbage to 2 parts green cabbage)
Italian flat-leaf parsley to your taste, minced
1 red sweet pepper, diced coarsely
1 yellow sweet pepper, diced coarsely
1 peeled carrot, shredded
1 parsnip, peeled and shredded
1 or 2 ribs celery, diced thinly
1 English cucumber, quartered and sliced medium
White part of one medium leek, sliced finely

Seasonings: Add no more than an hour or two in advance of serving 12-24 oz of a sour-cream dressing of your choice (enough to only moisten all vegetables evenly)
1 or 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle, grated
Celery seed, dill seed and/or freshly chopped dill, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Just before serving: Salt

o

Jicama is not hard to peel, Jasdip. I love its crunchiness.

o

Garlicky Coleslaw
Makes 6 to 8 servings
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 to 6 green onions, chopped
1/2 head thinly sliced or grated cabbage (about 6 cups)
1/2 carrot, coarsely shredded (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup)
1/2 to 2/3 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
Salt and pepper to taste

In large bowl, combine garlic, onions, cabbage and carrot. Stir in about ½ cup dressing, adding more as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Calypso Slaw

1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 cup Teriyaki sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 or more packages broccoli slaw (usually a mixture of broccoli, red cabbage, and carrots) or you can cut your own veggies
For dressing: Combine all ingredients but the packed slaw and mix well.
When ready to serve, lightly coat slaw with the desired amount. Serve immediately. Do not add dressing in advance as slaw will wilt over time.
You will have dressing left over to make additional slaw later. Dressing keeps refrigerated about 1 week

Red Cabbage and Apple Slaw
1/2 medium red cabbage, finely shredded and outer leaves trimmed
2 green apples, cored and grated
3 scallions, sliced (or leeks)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar or whatever variety of vinegar you want
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or nut of your choice
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries or cherries
Prepare veggies, put into a bowl and mix well.
Prepare dressing by mixing mustard, garlic, olive oil and vinegar together. Pour over slaw and blend in thoroughly.
Just before serving, stir in pecans and cranberries.

Limed Coleslaw
3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel

Toss red cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, lime peel, and 3 tablespoons olive oil in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cabbage Beet Slaw with Ginger Vinaigrette

1 small head red cabbage
1 medium-sized beet
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop the cabbage into 4 wedges. Trip away any any of the tougher core. Cut the remaining cabbage into thin strips. Place in a bowl.

Peel the beet using a vegetable peeler. Using a hand-held grater or box grater, shred the beet into the bowl with the cabbage, being careful to not stain clothes with beet juice.

Make the vinaigrette. Combine vinegar, honey, and ginger in a small bowl. Add oil and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss vinaigrette with cabbage-beet mixture. Allow the slaw to stand 20-30 minutes before serving, tossing regularly. Add salt and pepper if needed, and serve.

o

Just gotta say Glenda's Alaskan Coleslaw is awsome....have made it many times....always a hit !!!!

o

Thanks cheri!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here