Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We eloped!

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 12:57

We eloped 48 years ago today. I was a teacher and finishing my master's in the summers, and my DH had recently taken a job two states away and was starting his master's. I had planned to visit him during my spring break because as a new employee, he had only one day off a week. Another employee traded him his day off, and so we married in Cincinnati with the help of a fellow employee who was a judge who waived our waiting period. We had a two day honeymoon, one day in Berea, Kentucky, and one in Lexington.

Then I returned to finish teaching that school year and then finish my degree in the summer. By that time, he had taken an even better job in Washington, D. C. We have lived in Bethesda, Md, a few months in NJ while he trained on Wall Street, Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Chicago suburbs, and back to southern California, where we are now.

We have 3 kids in their 30s now, and two darling grandsons. All of them seem to be doing well, so we count our blessings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We eloped!

Congratulations SheilaJoyce!

Jodi-

o

congratulations!

o

Congratulations!
A marriage of 48 years is something to be treasured!

o

A great life story. Congratulations.

o

Congrats!!

o

Congratulations!! You have been truly blessed! May those blessings continue for many more years!

o

What an exciting beginning...a rewarding 'middle'...and a happy 'ever after'! Congratulations to you both!

o

Happy Anniversary!!

o

Congratulations, and may you have many more years together.

o

Happy anniversary and thanks for sharing a sweet love story. That first year must've been hard on you both. Hope you have many, many more anniversaries.

o

CONGRATULATIONS! and Happy Anniversary. Thanks for sharing your "Love Story".

o

"Marriage ... [t]hat complete union which makes the advancing years a climax, and age the harvest of sweet memories in common ..." "Middlemarch," by George Eliot.

Happy anniversary!

o

Very nice story...congratulations !!!

o

Lovely story...congratulations on finding the right guy!

o

Happy Anniversary to you both, and wishing you many more to come!

o

happy anniversary and many more to come!! :)

o

You are truly blessed!

o

Who said it wouldn't last? Congratulations!

o

Happy Anniversary! Great story.

o

Happy anniversary to a truly generous and gracious lady and what HAS to be a wonderful man (or you would not have chosen him)!

Many more happy years to you both!

o

Happy anniversary!

o

Patti43, I lost my response to you. We had a very easy first year, so easy that it surprised even me. We had two problems to overcome that year. I squeezed the toothpaste tube from the middle of the tube, and he left the toilet seat up.

Money was tight, in part because we lived on a very strict budget. Sometimes the last day of the month, I served some very strange dinners with combinations of whatever I had in the freezer or cupboards. Though we lived frugally, we made sure we were secure since there were no parents to go to if we needed help. My parents had died many years earlier, and his grandparents who raised him had very little themselves.

His grad school classes and work shifts usually were not compatible with mine, and I can remember waving at him across the lanes of the Beltway as I was returning home from work and he was heading off. The Pill had been available in recent years, so we knew that I would be able to work a few years while we got on our feet financially. That was huge for us, and many other young couples too, I bet.

o

Congrats!!!

o

I love this story. I love that you two were a team and worked to make a good life for yourselves -- and you did! I hope you have another happy 48 years together.

o

Happy Anniversary. My parents both graduated from Berea College.

o

Oh, I love true life story like this one. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I know you will have many many more happy years.

Besides, your 2 problems have been resolved in the past decade. The toothpaste tube have changed. It makes no difference where you squeeze the plastic tube now. There's toilet seats that automatically comes down when you flush the toilet.

Those inventors had sure resolved many arguments/disagreement between couples :o)

o

Such a great tribute to true love-happy anniversary-and wishes for many more.

o

Covingtoncat, we stayed at the Berea College Inn run by the students for our one night in Berea. I had quite a scare there as a new bride:

We arrived later than we had expected to. The elderly desk clerk kind of gave us what-for and explained that we had arrived so late that the bellman was already off for the night and that we would, therefore, have to carry our own bags up to our 3rd (?) floor room. That was fine with us, but as we got off the old fashioned elevator, the first door we saw was labeled "Restroom." I panicked. A new bride, with a lovely, sheer peignoir to wear, and the bathroom was DOWN THE HALL??? The first thing I checked when we got to the room was to see if we had a private bathroom. Phew, we did!

We toured the town shoppes the next day before we left for Lexington and the last day of our honeymoon.

o

Congratulation to an eventful start and a long marriage. You two have worked hard on your lives.

o

Congratulations!

o

Yea!!! Congrats to you.!! Loved your storey...

o

Happy Anniversary. What a wonderful story. May you have many,many more years of good health and happiness together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here