SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Some Advice From an Old lady About Love LONG

User
10 years ago

First, let me tell you my story. A few of you know it.
When iwas a young woman (18 to be exact) I met and dated a young man who was a neighbor. This was in 1941 with a war looming. He was soon drafted and spent over 4 years in service, most of it overseas.

i moved to another state to do war work. We wrote faithfully during all of those years. finally he came home. he was eager to get married and catch up on his life. I wasn't that ready. So we went our separate ways. Each of us had a long married life-55 years for him, 57 for me.

When his wife died he was able to locate me by using the Internet and we began corresponding again. later i moved back to my home state to be near family. he visited me often and asked me again to marry him. After much thought I said yes and we were married in 2008.

he maintained tht he had been in love with me all of his life. He had kept all of the little keepsakes I had given him during the war.

Last month he passed away at the age of 95 years and 6 months. he had spent the yesars of our marriage trying his utmost to make me happy. And he did! Of course I miss him, but I am so thankful for those bonus years!

Now to the advice--If you have a parent, a close relative, or just a good friend who is elderly, visit them, write them, pay attention to them. His family, while professing much love for both of us. was so involved with their own lives that they seldom took the 5 minute trip to spend an hour or so with him. I knew it hurt him but was unable to do much to change things. now, of course they are mourning. My family, on the other hand, visited often, found little gifts that aided his hobbiesand interests, and in general, treated him wirh love.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. ACT!!!!!

Comments (15)