Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inappropriate use of Facebook, in my opinion

Posted by amyfiddler (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:15

I just witnessed some old friends, married 20 years, spew hateful spiteful privacy invading information about each other on facebook. they have two very sweet good talented teenage boys, one on a church mission, who will be affected by the public display of hatred. Such a shock to my system and painful to watch.

I just hate it when my friends use FB as a way to fight their battles. It's immature and embarrassing to watch. I have to unfriend immediately - wont' be part of it. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inappropriate use of Facebook, in my opinion

So you are saying that a married couple is breaking up and spewing insults toward each other on FB?

I do not know what it is about FB but it can turn normal people into a bunch of Narcissistic fools...but maybe they aren't normal in the first place but FB allows EVERYONE to see their true nature? Probably....

o

I don't participate, but apparently I have a friend who is doing the same. She's putting out very personal announcements about a troubled stretch in their 25 year marriage. They have two in college. The whole scenario makes me think of the immature things we would have done at about junior high age, and it's been going on for a year now. I just want to say, stop the drama and act your age - this is private and you've nothing to gain by providing all the details to the world :)

We have relatives overseas who have spent time with them on two trips here and she called and said - I read on Facebook! ON FACEBOOK! Horrified that intimate details were being spread about like 13 yr old girls might have shared on the phone....

I don't understand. My friend is a mature professional bright woman most of the day, and a hysterical teen online :(

o

I detest everything about Facebook.

We will never use it for any reason.

o

If I had facebook, and if I saw stuff like that, and knew the couples, I might call them on the phone and tell them exactly what I thought! About the only thing a person can do is contact the kids and tell them how good they are and how proud you are of them. It is sad when adults act like spoiled brats.

o

It's just one more way for people who crave attention to get what they want. It is childish but there are people with that personality who never get over it. Good, bad, scary or stooped; some people just want the recognition.

Honestly, I don't air my dirty laundry any where. It's nobody's business but my own. If I have a disagreement of a personal nature with someone, you can be it won't be online.

o

ditto what caroline said!!
it for some reason deletes a persons filters! They have none and don't seem to care. So many personal invasions happen daily.

We were having a wonderful family Easter celebration, my nieces daughter who is an adult was taking pictures with her phone. Some were silly and some were of the women in the kitchen preparing the food it was hot and not looking very presentable. She went immediately and posted them all to face book including full real names tagged to them. Then started laughing hysterically and showed everyone. The one of my sister was awful she was in the middle of carving a ham. My sister was furious. In the middle of a wonderful day with family Facebook had to come into play and cause a nasty scene. Did she even consider asking permission to post pictures of people heck no again no FILTERS! I was so tempted to take her phone and throw it in the pool. And she learned nothing she just kept laughing saying how stupid we were all being. Invasion of privacy? they don't have any idea what it means any more. And they just don't care.

o

Facebook can be a positive experience too. I have over 150 friends and relatives and everything posted is either funny, loving or informative. I've never seen a negative post in my four years interacting with many many people. I enjoy seeing all the photos of trips and people enjoying life and I pray for those who request prayers for friends and relatives. I would avoid a person who disrespects or merchandises misery.

o

omg..thanks be my dd and sil are more sensible then that! in fact the entire adult famly is being very careful as only their kidlets know about pending divorce...we havn't said anything to the rest of the grands yet...

about as personal as i get was to ask my kids to read their emails about my uncle, who is quite ill. otherwise fb is "fluff"...

o

Wow, that garbage that they post will be out there forever.

Serves them right.

o

Hi raven,

I think that I'd be tempted to tell that niece that the next time that she pulls such a photo session, to do more than put it on TV, for on TV, once it's shown, apart from re-runs, and even then only for a few seconds, it's gone, but on FB, it's there for retrieval ... forever ...

... that she'd better hang on to her phone real tightly ...

... or it'll go into the pool.

ole joyful

o

I am another one who feels the same as Caroline. I will never use it.

o

I love Facebook and have never seen anything like that with one of my friends.

But my clients do it all the time. We lawyers take screen captures to use in cross-examination. Just something for your relatives to keep in mind.

It's appalling that they're doing this in public, and in front of their children.

o

I do use facebook because it allows me to stay in touch with my nieces and nephews. I think I have 12 friends including also my sisters. Fortunately nothing spiteful or nasty as ever occurred on facebook. The mothers (my sisters) of my nieces and nephews are also on facebook and they police their children. There are rules about what is posted and what is said.

o

Don't blame Facebook! They have no control if idiots use their website. Dirty, nasty stuff has been posted by stupid people on message boards and forums long before Facebook was around.

There's no cure for stupid - and it will out itself in any medium.

o

I agree with Tally. My mom thinks the Internet is evil. Just like Facebook. It's all in how you use it.

o

I never ever post or even look at Facebook.

o

It's true that you don't blame the medium because people are stupid and addicted to their cellphones, "social media" resources, etc, but it's BECAUSE people are stupid and addicted to their cellphones "social media" resources, etc, is just another reason I *don't* do MySpace, I *don't* do Facebook, I *don't* look for dates on Craigslist, I *don't* "tweet" or participate in any of the other technological addictions. I don't need these pacifiers to stay in touch with people. There's plenty of other, far better ways to do stay in touch.

Used to be "sex, drugs and rock & roll" were the addictions of the day. Now it's cellphone, text and Facebook/social media. Whenever I see someone who can't resist checking every time that leash sounds a chime, can't resist thumbing away at it when it does and can't go an hour without checking their "page" I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't give a special lane on the roads so we can cull the herd a bit. Some people just have too much time and money on their hands. It's sad.

This post was edited by cynic on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 10:33

o

"Don't blame Facebook! They have no control if idiots use their website. Dirty, nasty stuff has been posted by stupid people on message boards and forums long before Facebook was around.

There's no cure for stupid - and it will out itself in any medium."

I agree... it is the people, not the medium!

o

Anti social media is what I call it. It is not the tool but how one wields it.

My nieces think it is absolutely normal as the first thing to do when seated for a family dinner is to pull out their phones and start teetering, twittering, texting or whatever you call it. All of their parents must think it normal because not a word is said. When at my home all phones, tablets, Bluetooth devises must be checked at the door.

Niece brought over a date at Easter, when he pulled out his cell phone and started using his thumbs to do whatever they do at my table she quickly grabbed him and led him to another room. I asked him what she told him? She said my uncle would have fed you that thing for dinner. Lucky boy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here