Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flora and Fauna of Hong Kong

Posted by jodi_in_so_calif (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:10

I took so many photos throughout SE Asia that I am going to start doing seriers postings.

These are some flowers and birds I saw while walking around Hong Kong.

I've cropped a lot of my photos to Facebook cover size because often they are nothing but subject and sky or water. Cropping simply helps focus on the subject.

Red-Cheeked Bulbul in Kowloon Park...
. photo HongKong175_Fauna2013.jpg

Some kind of finch or sparrow on Victoria Peak...
.Hong Kong Victoria Peak photo HongKong_VicPeak50_Fauna_2172013.jpg

photo HongKong_VicPeak52_Fauna_2172013.jpg

A Magpie in Aberdeen...
 photo HongKong_BigBus78_Aberdeen_fauna_2172013-1.jpg

A raptor in Aberdeen...
 photo HongKong_BigBus81_Aberdeen_Raptor_2172013.jpg

Flowers and oranges...
 photo HongKong_BigBus30_StanleyFlora_2162013.jpg

photo HongKong_Flora3_2152013.jpg

I love how this bird takes off...
 photo HongKong_Fauna5_2162013.jpg

photo HongKong_Fauna7_2162013.jpg

photo HongKong_Flora2_2152013.jpg

Lots of raptors in downtown Hong Kong...
 photo HongKong_Fauna2_2162013.jpg

Jodi-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flora and Fauna of Hong Kong

Lovely pictures. That looks like an English Sparrow (House Sparrow) in the second and third pictures. They are abundant, though non native here....looks like someone introduced them to Hong Kong too. We don't have English Sparrows out here in the country but you see them everywhere in town.

o

Thanks Marilyn, I went to an Audubon Society meeting last night and even they seemed to gloss over the exact names of sparrows and finches because there are so many that look the same but have different names. :-)

I've got to figure out what the one bird is that is dive-bombing off the top of the Cypress tree.

I've spent hour and hours trying to research every bird and location we saw in SE Asia and I still have a ways to go before I'm done.

Jodi-

o

The dive bomber's bill is a clue, Jodi. Look in the Nuthatch family. I'll bet he's a member.

Anne

o

The last picture of a flower is Tibouchina.

o

Thanks KayJones!

Anne, I'm looking but haven't yet found one that is native to Hong Kong that looks like the photo I took. I'll keep researching. Thanks.

Jodi-

o

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here