SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Gearing up to go Purple (Martins!)

caroline94535
10 years ago

Well it's 29 degrees on my back patio; and the winds are supposed to be 40+ mph today. Still, I'm going on the premise that Spring may arrive, and some of my Purple Martins will survive the migration and terrible weather between Brazil and here to make it back to my site.

I normally have the 16 gourds hung by April 15, and the PMs "normally" arrive here between April 23 and May 3. This may be a later year.

At 7 a.m. I was bundled up in coat, gloves, and hood. I ran out to the pole to install the top eight arms that hold the top layer of gourds. I'm bringing a couple gourds at a time upstairs where I pre-nest them with cedar shavings and get them ready to hang.

I will have the entry holes closed off with duct tape to keep any intruders out until I see the first martin. Then I dash out, lower the rack (the metal sleeve that holds the arms and raises up and down the pole on a winch and pulley system), remove the tape, and let the most joyous part of my year begin.

The weather is critical, since Purple Martins eat only flying insects. If it's too cold for the bugs to be flying, the martins will starve. They time and halt their migration as the temps and food supplies dictate.

This photo is from a few years back, but they'll look the same (to most people, LOL) when they come back this year.

I can feel them in my bones. That first loud, clear, call of last years birds' returning gives me chills of joy.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor