SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

Advice needed - my neighbor's cat.

maire_cate
10 years ago

We've lived here for 30 years and occasionally we'll have a cat wander into the yard. I'm sure they're attracted by the birds at my feeders. No big deal.

Recently new neighbors moved in next door, they'll be renting for 2 years and they're very friendly people and I enjoying chatting with them.

They adopted a cat 2 months ago but leave him outside most of the time and he's decided he prefers my yard and my garage. Twice DH has discovered him under his car when he leaves for work in the morning - which means he spent the night shut inside the garage. Our bird feeders are across from the large bay window in the kitchen because we enjoy watching the birds. But since the cat likes to sit near them it's now driving my dog crazy.

When I told my neighbor that we accidentally shut her cat in our garage overnight she just laughed and said that he likes our yard and that he's become the neighborhood cat. She told me that he's aggressive to dogs and she's afraid the cat will hurt her dog. That's not the reason she lets the cat out - her dog is only allowed in the sun room while the cat has the rest of the house.

This morning when I went out to get the paper I saw the cat running into my garage. I would have shut the door with him inside if I hadn't noticed it. We've had cats before but they were indoor cats. Is it unreasonable to say something to her? I'd like to ask her to keep her cat inside.

Comments (28)