Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Valerian Root

Posted by jenson13 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 7:00

Has anyone tried taken valerian root to help fall asleep. Did it work? Read about it in a magazine and thought I would give it a try. I have a devil of a time falling asleep at night.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Valerian Root

Yes! I had to take one just last night - it works for me!

o

Yes. It is phenomenal. I love it.

o

Valerian, Skullcap, Passionflower, hops. These are the sleeping herbs. Lime leaf, and lavender can also help, although through aroma rather than ingestion.

If you look at "Sleepy Time" herbal teas, the top four are usually ingredients. Although, Valerian sort of smells like socks to me, so I would rather take it in a capsule ROFL!

Dances.

o

How much of it do u take? I have capsules that say the recommended dose is 1 to 4 capsules, which seems like a lot.

o

40-60mg about an hour before bedtime works great!

o

I've used Valerian root, but prefer melatonin to help get to sleep- although with the melatonin sometimes I have trouble sleeping more than 4 hours; guess that is why they also make the dual release melatonin.

On a side note though, Valerian can be very relaxing to cats. One of my old cats was a very anxious sort and she loved to smell and rub all over a bottle of Valerian. She never consumed any orally, she just had to smell it and she'd calm right down and be very relaxed! (I read about this in a cat book- didn't discover it myself :) )

o

Is this the one that smells like stinky cheese?

o

I have a Valerian pillow spray and lotion that are supposed to help you sleep. They don't smell like feet (unless your feet smell like lemony flowers ) :-) It works "ok". Not great, not bad. I htink it's supposed to help you relax enough to fall asleep.

o

Jodi, yes - it smells bad, but don't know what it smells like.

o

Just threw a bottle of it away the other day.

Used it when flying to Europe 6 years ago. Worked. I slept.

o

Hi semi-fish,

Would you recommend, then, that they keep a supply on hand ...

... in a cat house?

o j

o

Can this be taken nightly?

o

Be careful if you have liver problems.......

o

I buy this and spray on my pillow when I get spells of not sleeping well.

It's a pillow mist and you can also buy the cream for your face. I've used the cream when traveling.

Get it from Bath and Body Works: Aromatherapy
Pillow Mist
Sleep - Lavender Chamomile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here