SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemdandy

Classes Anyone?

jemdandy
10 years ago

We inherited an antique shelf clock that has been taking up space for several years. I had been owned by my wife's grandfather. It was in running condition, but quite ancient. My wife suggested that I take a clock repair course and use her clock as a project, and so I did.

I took the clockworks apart, straightened and polished the pivots, added bushing to worn holes, Soaked the parts in a cleaning solution, reassemblied the clock and lubricated certain places. I was surpsised to learn that on this clock, a number of places where I might have added lubricant, should not be lubed.

I managed to get it to run again (after much fiddling with the escapement mechanism). The mechanism as restored should run for another 50 years or so.

This endevor has encouraged me to conserve the case. I intend to put it back to new new condition yet preserve its antique nature.

I have researched this clock and have its history back to ca 1880. The clock was made between 1830 to 1833. By the time I am done, I will have put more money into it than its market value, but we have no intention of selling it (and the price is right). As time goes by, its value can only go up.

Comments (7)