SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemdandy

Clock Repair Class

jemdandy
10 years ago

Someone asked to see a picture of my project so I am posting it. I have refurbished the clock movement and it is running right now - made the final adjustment to bring it into reaseonably accurate time keeping.

This clock has many cosmetic issues and those will be my on-going project. I am preserving its antique value where ever possible and for that reason I have found and will be working with a clock conservator. He will be doing much of the case restortion.

The Clock:

Jared Arnold, Jr
Amber, NY
8 day shelf clock
Triple Deck
Mahogany and veneer case
Weight driven
Made between 1830 and 1833
37 inches tall with top moldings; Top moldings are missing.

This clock was made at the time when clock makers were abandoning wood gears for all metal.

My bucket list (so far):

1. Center and bottom Panel
Most of the paint has flaked off the reverse painted glass.
An artisan will repaint. There doesn't seem tp have been a standard illustration for these panels. Local cottage industries decorated these panels for the clock builder. He kept a small selection on hand.

In 1830, there was no photography. Illustrations were paintings, drawings, wood cuts, and lithgraph. I chose two period images. The center panel will be a packet boat on the Erie canal on a section in the countryside. The bottom panel will be of the Monticello. The Erie canal was finished in 1825. One of my wife's ancestors help build a feeder canal. The Erie canal ran through Onondaga county, the county where this clock was built and its owner lived.

Monticello, Thomas Jeffferson home, was a well known structure of the day. T. Jefferson died in the 1820s. We had thought to personalize the bottom panel with a picture of my wife's gandfather's summer house on Fourth Lake (Fulton Chain of Lakes) but have not located out shot of the place. Its just as well because that would not be 'period'.

2. Brass Key Hole Plates (2) missing.
- Make two and install.

3. Top molding and splat missing
- Conservator will locate one or construct.
The plaster cast eagle will be looking to his right.

4, Covr boxes over the top pulleys. These are to keep dust from entering the top of the cabinet.

5. Replace weight cords with metal wire cable style - Done

Old sash cord styles were known to age and break. If a weight was elevated when the cord broke, it can bomb the bottom of the case and break it.

6. Re-nail the back of the cabinet.

Copies of the orginal nails are on order. The conservator is making these.

7. Restore the finish of the columns and ball feet.

The "gold" color will be done similar to the original. Brass powder will be mixed in laquer and several layers applied until surface defects are filled in. Smoothing is done between coats with the final coat polished.

8. Brass edging will be clipped in place where the clock face rests in two upturned nails. Notches have worn into the face where it rest on the nails. These pieces will be fridtion fitted and removable to preserve the value of the clock face.

9 The conservator will repair a couple of verneer chips.

10. Major portions of the case finish will be preserved.

My goal is to restore the clock to appear as it did when new. The clockworks with recommended maintence should run for another 50 years.

(This is going to keep me out of mischief for a week or two.)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus