Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Five Guys Burgers

Posted by eileen101 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 1:16

A while back Glenda mentioned Five Guys Burgers. I told her one had just opened near us. We've been there twice in the past month and just love the burgers and frys! I really like all the choices for toppings you can choose and the frys are the best....and HUGE! We just order 1 order of frys for the two of us and never can finish them all.
I don't know if we would have tried this place if I hadn't read Glenda's high recommendation and I totally agree with Glenda...this place has wonderful burgers cooked fresh!

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Five Guys Burgers

oh yeah they are good. I have been hearing about them on various forums and from friends for a few years, sure was happy to have one in the area. We had no idea the regular burger was a double or that the large fries feeds 4 so we each ordered the burger all the way and large fries. When my husband walked up to get the order the guy said man that's a lot of fries. Well duh sure is lol. But I took the left overs home and heated those fries in the microwave and they were just as good the second day. I was surprised. Now I know to get a little burger and small fries. I love the peanuts too.

o

My opinion of this chain's hamburgers is different - they are greasy and very high in calories. The small cheesburger has a whopping 700 calories - nope, I don't like them!

o

I met Robert and some of his co-workers there for lunch, where the majority wanted to go. I'm afraid that the smell of grease was enough to ruin my appetite for burgers! I had a BLT. I honestly had to change my clothes when I came home. I scrubbed my face and hands with soap and water when I got home but could still smell it.

Some of the others loved it, though. I had a couple of fries and they were yummy little fat sticks, lol. I'll never go back there but I'll bet that Robert will.

o

I thought the burger were just ok and the fries were horrible, greasy and limp . I won't be going back.

o

I call it the Five Disappointments. Over $13 for a burger, fries & drink. Greasy, limp fries. "Cajun" seasoning is a joke. Wendy's fries are vastly superior. The slow-cooked burger was so-so at best. Grocery store bun that wasn't even toasted, only warmed to give the impression to the gullible that it's soft and "fresh" from the oven or something. Burger patty doesn't even match the bun size. And $2 for water? No thanks. Not for me.

I thought maybe I hit them on a bad day, but reading the reviews, it was normal. I never use this term but it's the only appropriate. "Yuck".

This post was edited by cynic on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 9:55

o

Don't have one near me. Tried Sonic years ago, not impressed. My local deli has hamburgers available at lunchtime that taste home-made.

o

I've only gone once. I guess I liked them well enough. I had two Little Burgers with ketchup. The girl at the counter couldn't believe that was all I was having, but I know fats food is murderously high in calories, fat and salt. The Little Burgers are almost like sliders. I only buy fast food when I am dying of starvation and there is nothing else around.

o

Two "little" burgers? You must have been starving. The ones at the Five Guys near here are nowhere near as small as sliders. Like someone mentioned, the "regular" burgers are double patties.

o

I love them!!! We were just there last week. Sure-if you are worried about calories and sodium, then this isn't the place for you-anyone knows that. They were voted by consumers as the best burger in Orlando!

o

A Burger King Whopper has 670 calories

o

Not a fan...
expensive and grease laden is not my idea of a good time.

o

Big Mac Cheeseburger has 704 calories

o

"Big Mac Cheeseburger has 704 calories"
Okay.
I don't eat those either.

o

They are franchises. Some do it well, others don't. Limp fries in one might be magnificent fries in another.

That said, I can't remember the last time I was in a fast-food place. But I will order a burger and fries in one of our local restaurants - heaven! But I have to take half home, LOL.

o

A friend and I stopped at one in Florida and we decided, we probably won't go back....The burgers were OK, lots of fries but the music, if that's what it was called, was so loud, we could not hear each other.....The whole place just seemed to busy, not a place for a pleasant dinner.......

o

I wouldn't call it a place for dinner, but a quick meal when you're in a hurry.

Lots of kids now before and after ball games.

I agree about the music. Saw a little one with her fingers to her ears.

Very friendly personnel and they are always working to keep the place clean.

Love their peanuts!

o

We drove past one of these today. It was past the lunch hour, and a Sunday, so maybe that's why it was totally empty. It did have a LOT of seating, indoors and out, so maybe they do a good trade. I could hear the music from inside our car with the windows up!

I prefer my own hamburgers. I wouldn't order anything at a restaurant that I can so easily cook at home.

o

Weird-ours never has music.

o

Wow, those Little Burgers have nearly 500 calories each! What the heck? They really were quite small, truly three bites apiece. No more of them for me.

o

I disliked the music enough not to return. I don't think "fast food" travels well, so I prefer to eat it on the scene. It was just ok for the money anyway.

By the way, I like pop music enough to normally have an iPod in my ears while exercising....theirs was way too loud! I prefer "background" music, if any, while eating. Prefer to be able to talk to my companion(s).

This post was edited by redcurls on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:50

o

Love the burgers and love the fries. Don't eat them often but, then, we don't eat any red meat that often. The fries are limp because they cut them from real potatoes right there in the restaurant. It would help if they were double deep-fried. I bring most of them home and stick them in the oven the next day.

o

Wrong. I make fries at home, generally single fry them and I make crisp fries with a tender, fluffy interior. However, you need to have the grease at the proper temperature which they don't. Also, they don't serve them hot since it takes so long to get the food to you, by design, and steaming in the paper bag, all of which contributes to food quality degradation for how I want a burger and fries served.

"It would help if they were double deep-fried."
Now, that is true, however since they use the wrong temp for cooking the fries, they've absorbed too much grease so they wouldn't have the good fluffy, non-greasy interior.

o

Love their fresh burger buns.

Toasted buns are a new thing regarding culinary cooking.

Grew up with fresh buns, hamburger and hot dog buns. Non grilled. THE thing now, but not in my growing up days

This post was edited by glenda_al on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:10

o

Cynic, I may be wrong but I'm in good company. The double fry method is the way Jacques Pepin and Julia Child taught me.

o

I've never been to one...not any around here, but a word about french fries. My husband makes the best french fries. He cuts russet potatoes (unpeeled) in rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Then he cuts the rounds into sticks...which end up about the size of my little finger. He dumps too many into a pot of hot oil that isn't really hot enough. But by the time the oil reheats and the potatoes finish, they are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and not greasy at all. Actually fried food that is fried right isn't greasy anyway. But the first time I saw him fry potatoes....I said, "Nooooo!!" but they turned out better than mine. Even when I use his method, his are better than mine. I think because the oil isn't terribly hot...well, it is hot but not up to the temp that I'd fry them, and then it cools slightly when he dumps in too many at one time....and when they finish, it is like they have been fried twice.

o

your husband is smart! I've never made home made fries, but after reading your husbands method, i'll bet if the oil was too hot then the fries would be cooked on the outside and not the inside. Smart guy! :)
Eileen

o

"Toasted buns are a new thing regarding culinary cooking."
Oh really? I guess it would depend on what you call a "new thing". Haven't had a chance to follow up with a note I got from Wildchild so I'll put it in now since she puts it very well:
"I am in complete agreement with you on Five Disappoints LOL

Please inform the person that toasted buns are not a new thing. My father owned a hamburger joint back in the 40's.
NEVER would he have served a burger to anyone without toasting it first. I grew up in a household with buttered, well toasted buns for both hotdogs and burgers.

All the burger places (pre-McDonalds era) toasted their buns."

The hamburger bun is only a little over 100 years old. From my earliest burger eating days I recall a number of places that toasted not just the burger buns but also hot dog buns. My mother toasted burger buns often as would several other people I recall doing it as a kid so there's nothing new there. Granted Glenda, you're older than me but there's records of toasting back farther than my memory too. Perhaps you grew up in an area that was late to learn about this treat.

"The fries are limp because they cut them from real potatoes right there in the restaurant... Cynic, I may be wrong but I'm in good company. The double fry method is the way Jacques Pepin and Julia Child taught me."
I have news for you patti43, Jacque and Julia used real potatoes and I challenge you to show me a time they had limp greasy fries! LOL You clearly didn't learn well if you still believe that real potatoes mean limp fries.

Cooks Illustrated has spoken on their shows about taking fries and putting them into cold oil and boiling them. You can check their report for the scientific explanation as to why they come out crisp

This post was edited by cynic on Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:55

o

"Cooks Illustrated has spoken on their shows about taking fries and putting them into cold oil and boiling them. You can check their report for the scientific explanation as to why they come out crisp "

As I recall, that method really worked only with one variety of potatoes (Yukon Gold?)

o

They weren't real clear. They said "This recipe will not work with sweet potatoes or russets." and also said "With lower-starch potatoes like Yukon Golds, the result was a crisp exterior and a creamy interior. " Not sure whether waxy would work or not. I've never tried it but it's interesting.

o

I had one a few years ago, but took it home about 30 minutes away. The bun was soggy by the time I got home so can't comment on the burger...and I don't remember what the fries even looked like, let alone tasted like. I vaguely remember the place being ok, though.

o

...B.ig disappointment....like others have said...greasy burgers and greasy limp fries. Cheescake Factory...wonderful burgers and fries.

o

I've really wanted to give them a second chance, maybe a different place, but they were pretty bad and for almost $14 I don't like even giving them the chance to disappoint again when there's plenty of places that are better and cheaper, even Burger King and Wendys! I'd really prefer to spend my money with a place with a superior product and there's so many around. I should have paid attention to the warnings on Yelp and the like, they pretty much all gave the red flags.

I don't like a bun steamed soggy either, but some think that means it's "fresh"! To each their own.

o

Have a Five Guys Burgers where I live n have been there a few times
N was never disappointed.

o

Never had a soggy steamed bun at Five Guys!

Always fresh! Not even warmed!
They come straight from the bun packages.

I love toasted buns, but our Five Guys doesn't do that.

I don't take my burgers home, eat in the restaurant, so never soggy from transporting to eat a home.

This post was edited by glenda_al on Sun, May 26, 13 at 17:22

o

Toasted buns are certainly not a new thing. We had a family owned restaurant from the late 1950's until 2001, we always toasted (on the griddle) our hamburger buns. Most diners or mom/pop places did as well.

I don't care for Five Guys, but my DH likes it. I think the buns are soggy and the fries greasy. I like In-n-out burger. Very fresh tasting burger, crisp lettuce, nicely toasted bun. The fries can be hit or miss.

o

Matti, at In-N-Out ask for the fries "well done" if you like a crisper fry. That's the only way I like 'em. The fries are definitely softer at 5 Guys, but they soak up the vinegar nicely, which is the treat for me. Two entirely different products, I like them both, but very different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here