SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelgal_gw

Need to sell fine China

Shelgal
9 years ago

I have a large service for 12 (including soup/salad bowls) of Lenox china (Windsong pattern), and a smaller set for 8 of Royal Albert (made by Royal Doulton) and I need to sell them. I want to find someplace local that will come and give me a price and take them away. What type of business would that be called? I want to find them on the internet so I can call them to come and see what I have, but I don't know the name of the business category. How do I find places that buy collectables and china for resale?

Comments (46)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Estate liquidators do that. Some will come to you some won't. Many have their own shops that they can sell the stuff at.
    I recently helped a friend who had inherited several sets of China and collectible glassware, and the people who assisted her were estate liquidators.
    Did you ever watch the show on TV with Cari that would handle the estate sales and also take some of the items in to her shop to sell? Cash and Cari is the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cash and Cari

• Related Discussions

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

You could try to sell it on Craigslist. Check prices on e-bay so you know how much to ask.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lenox-windsong-china

I'm assuming your pieces are "old" enough they're NOT made in china like the newer items...to me it's more desirable to say made in usa....that's the original....

• teddybear_2009
    9 years ago

what pattern is your Royal Albert look it up on Ebay and see what the pieces are going for . Just one way to dispose of it, some pieces and patterns go quite high.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Have you tried Replacements, LTD? Just as another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for selling to them

• glenda_al
    9 years ago

I was lucky enough to sell my Lenox Solitaire to a friend. She bought it for her daughter. So happy to know the person enjoying it.

Still have my Royal Doulton Burgundy.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

shelgal is your royal albert the traditional country rose? it's the most popular of the royal albert line....and again is it old enough to say made in England? they too, have gone china....

• houstonmom_gw
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest contacting Replacements, Ltd. I have not sold to them, but have certainly purchased from them!

• Shelgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Royal Albert is Country Rose. It's packed away so I can't see underneath, but I have it at least 14 or 15 years, so I think it must be English. My Lenox is definitely from the USA because I have it so many years, at least 35. I don't know how to sell on Crailg's list, because I don't know how to put the photos on. I guess I'll have to look on the internet for estate liquidators or stores that sell on consignment. I've been told that Replacement pays pennies on the dollar of resale value, so I won't contact them.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Estate liquidators will pay even LESS.....

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

I'm afraid all you can expect is pennies on the dollar.

Your china isn't old enough to be vintage, and it isn't antique. It isn't even collectible, since the patterns are still currently sold, and easily available.

Replacements, LTD, probably wouldn't give you enough to make shipping it worthwhile.

A local consignment store, or Craig's List are your best bets. For a consignment store, you need to pack it up yourself - they aren't going to do that for you. I'd be surprised if they were willing to come to you to look at it. For Craig's list, you need to learn how to post photos.

• nanny98
    9 years ago

It is or can be very discouraging.I had tried to sell some depression glass dishes a few months ago... not even a 'lookie loo", so back into the "dish-pac's" they went. Maybe another year.

• Tally
    9 years ago

Another alternative might be to consider donating to a charity and taking it as a tax deduction.

I checked Ebay - sold 5 pc place setting for Windsong averages about $30.00, times 10 place settings = $300.00 Add another $100 for the servings pieces = $400.00

Country Rose sold place settings - 10 place settings sold for $350.00. At $35 per setting times 8 place settings = $280.00

The combined donation would be roughly $680.00 if you chose to go this route.

Do some research - check EBay's completed listings and print copies of recent sales to support your estimates in case you are audited.

It's another way to go if you don't think a liquidator would give you a fair price. Just make sure you get signed receipts with a specific description if you donate.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

With non cash donations - keep in mind the IRS $500 limit... if more than a $500 deduction for all contributed property is claimed, Form 8283 must be attached to your return. You can certainly do it, but it is an extra form which people might tend to overlook.

• fran1523
    9 years ago

As someone said the thrift shops are full of complete sets of china. Your best bet is to give it to someone who will love and appreciate it and forget about the financial return.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

mary while the patterns aren't antique, they are more valuable than the newer English bone china being shoved out from China!

I do agree that the royal albert country rose is very easy to get..in fact, 25 years ago they offered a set at the store before Costco!

• cate52
    9 years ago

I agree... people just don't want stuff that they have to wash by hand..

• chisue
    9 years ago

Might you just USE some of it? Try a piece in the dishwasher? I don't know these patterns, but if they don't have gold trim, maybe they don't require hand washing?

• lydia1959
    9 years ago

I also looked at completed listings at eBay... I found this set Service for 12 plus several serving pieces (large & small vegetable bowls, gravy boat, large oval serving platter, etc.) with free local pickup that sold for $700.

I think eBay or Craigslist would be your best bets. Consignment stores usually take between 40 and 60% of the selling price plus there is always a chance that pieces could get broken while on display.

• Tally
    9 years ago

I have lots of stuff that I wash by hand. My mother's Dainty Blue china by Shelley, my Baccarat crystal and my sterling silver never go into a dishwasher. Granted, I don't use them often, but I do use them for special occasions.

I don't think that many people would want to buy a complete 10 place settings in one swoop though, so selling an entire set might be difficult. People usually purchase replacement pieces for items they have lost or damaged.

Maybe try selling a place setting at a time on Ebay?

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Antique Dealers usually buy, hoping to take a chance. Of course their offer is usually 50% less than selling value. Posting a picture is nothing more than a click of the mouse. Try it, then don't continue with the ad. I'm looking at options to sell some old stuff too. Good luck.

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

I got home beautiful and I got oxyford/ I got 22k gold plates/ Royal Crown derby tea cup with little plate bluish and silver designs/ I got nikko i think that's what it's called 60 piece set I got alot of corningware I got Marco tea cup with gold leaves ummm khendall something tea cup all got flower designs on and in cup and a tea cup that don't have no numbers or marks oh all the tea cups are fine bone china

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

Lol I don't think you lady's wanna get this 26 year old man started on chinaware jkjk I inherited from my grandma Sylvia B her mom and Trinidad Medina her dad I don't know what to do with it all

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

I need to sell alot of chinaware I'm a man I don't know to much about it

• pammyfay
    7 years ago

Ditto to what Shelgal and MaryC mention about Replacements: Even when I was living near its large office/storage center in N.C. more than 15 years ago, they were offering pennies on the dollar. Some of these well-loved patterns just don't appeal to younger people starting to build their households, I guess, which is a shame. (I have "custody" of my parents' set, given to them on a milestone anniversary, which perhaps my niece will eventually want but I'm not betting I'll get the set out of my house any time soon! Meanwhile it just takes up storage space...)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    7 years ago

It is a shame to be almost giving away such lovely china, and to strangers. I wish more grandmas and great grandmas would offer their no longer used sets to the brides in the family. Surely someone would love to have grandma's or great grandma's lovely set. I would have loved one of the sets from my grandmother, but they went to the cousins whose parents were still living. (My mother was the eldest daughter, and she died before her mother did.) Sooo, when DH and I saw a lovely set being auctioned on our PBS fundraiser, he bought them for me sight unseen. I do love my Limoges Haviland from the end of the 19th century and they remind me of my Grandma Barton.

• boops2012
    7 years ago

I love my Lenox China. I started my collection after high school when I got my job at a retail store. Plate here, cup there. Recently came across a listing on Craigslist , located at a pawn shop. Service for 12 with some misc. pieces (vases, bowls, also Lenox) for a whopping $90. Scraped up. Some cash and got it. Pattern is Solitaire. Same shape as Windsong with platinum edge.

Same opinion on Replacements .com. They offer so little. Definetly try eBay or Craigslist.

• nanny98
    7 years ago

I will just chime in here to add that not many young folks are interested in the beauty and craftsmanship of those days gone by. It is so easy today to buy , cheaply, some trendy "disposable" things that can be easily changed out as their place in life changes. I "invested" in my favorite stuff when I got my first job....some of those things have worked out very well (Cutco Knives, Silver place settings, and Stainless Cookware), but the China with the Platinum trim for formal dinning has long been given away (free) and I have two China Dish=Paks still in the garage....DMIL & GMIL's Beautiful antique china and glassware. They are collectible, but people find it at garage sales, so it is hard to sell.....so as my children get older, and into their "older age" they may become interested it it. Best of Luck, I find myself giving away things just to have it loved.

• Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

It's crazy to see this old thread resurrected!

When my grandmother passed away a few years ago and we were going through her belongings and her will, she had stipulated that each child and grandchild receive a place setting of her china.

Luckily for me, not a single one of them was interested in it and I inherited the entire set.

As a side note: while I appreciate her dedication to "fairness" breaking up a full service set does no one any good, the set should have (and luckily did) stay together.

I frankly don't care that it wasn't some big fancy brand, it is Harmony House, pattern is Lynette, it was sold at Sears and I've been able to procure the few missing/broken pieces through replacements.com.

I have one living aunt who has no interest in "fancy" things like crystal or china, my parents share a similar disinterest.

My cousins responses though, they were the ones who surprised me.

It wasn't that they didn't care or had no interest, it was that the pattern didn't fit their personal style. They all had their own collection of crystal and china and grandmothers didn't match.

I'm proud to own my grandmother's china and several pieces of her fostoria crystal in the American pattern.

• susanjf_gw
    7 years ago

does anyone even remember Fostoria crystal?? even lenox is now cheaply made in china not usa...I have several pieces, all clocks, and refuse to buy anything anymore...even my ggmother's china is of value (and I'm guess sears catalog) because of the marks on the bottom...after a certain date it was change to made in japan....

what I wonder about is her champagne glasses (yes even a farmers wife had them) but they're the original style (said to be made from the shape of French queens breast, lol) but my mother's got mixed in and they were from???

• imstillchloecat
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, people (including me - and I'm pushing 50) no longer "entertain" the way our parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles did. I ended up inheriting five sets of china and three sets of silver. All of them, save the last set of china, have been sold (the silverware for scrap - because NOBODY WANTS IT).

The last set of china was my mom's - she gave it to me before she died (unexpectedly young), asking me not to get rid of it before she died. It still sits in the china cabinet. Unused. My daughter doesn't want it. I don't want it. Nobody wants to buy it. And nobody wants to have it for FREE, either.

I'm so tired of people "expecting" the heirs to want and treasure their stuff. A childless aunt's will specified that I receive her silverware, her crystal, a bedroom set, her piano, and some living room furniture. We put it all in the auction we set up because NOBODY WANTS to inherit all that. Where would we put it? Are we OBLIGATED to take it? No!

Do your heirs a favor and get rid of all your "treasures" now - because it's a hassle and frustrating to have to deal with after a death. :(

• lonestar123
    7 years ago

When my mother-in-law died they gave each grandchild/great grandchild one piece of her china. I thought that was so stupid, ask who wants it and divide it up between them. Several didn't have any interest and said it just sits there or they have got rid of the one piece they got.

• Sue_va
    7 years ago

I have so enjoyed reading all of this, even though, I, as usual, didn't notice it was old. I am old now too! I have never had or wanted that super expensive China, sterling, etc. Not my type. But years ago I fell in love with Depression Glass and antique furniture. My spare time was mostly spent at local public auctions. Most all the furniture in our home was bought at those auctions. When I moved to the Independent Retirement Community, years after my DH's death, I had to have an auction. Now I'm still using many of those auction pieces that I bought, after giving my DD her grandmother's bed, and 2 large pieces that my DGD wanted and I no longer had room for. *Note to nanny 98* Me, too.

I have my will written so that each of my 3 grands will receive a same amount, but each the same percentage, of cash $$, that is left at that point. My DD and I have decided that what ever is still in the house will be picked up by a certain old reliable local estate sale, auction business. They will come, pick up, and even wrap the "dust catchers," glass ware, and other small things, and my kids won't have to worry about that; plus, I won't have to watch those things being carried away from here. That amount will be added to the other above mentioned cash, and divided between my two children. My burial expenses are pre-paid.

I've said all that to say this: DON'T PUT OFF WRITING YOUR WILL!!

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

There blurry myphone sucks decided I'm keeping it all andspreading the love with my siblings thanks to all you Lol

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago

• valdeztony356
    7 years ago