Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House for sale in California......

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 22:37

Lucie Arnaz and her husband are selling their house in Palm Springs. Somehow the price seems low. Maybe the dollar amount I'm looking at is the annual taxes, not the price? ;-) Anyway, if you're house-hunting, here's a possibility....

Lucie's Palm Springs house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House for sale in California......

I can't buy it, I really don't like the kitchen or the high ceilings.

o

I like the fireplace

o

It is very affordable indeed. I did however wonder what the Homeowner Association dues were, they can really be high, sometimes running into the hundreds or thousands per month. But after I did some research, I found it is only $108/mo. Heck, the little condo we own and rent out is $350/mo and there isn't even a pool in the complex.

I've wanted to buy in Palm Springs for well over 30 years. Wish I could talk DH into checking it out. Oh well.

Jodi-

o

I wonder why they didn't "stage" it with some rental furniture? Or take photos when their own furniture (but not personal stuff, of course) was still there? I like the open spaces -- it's a party house! -- tho they wouldn't reflect my lifestyle. But it just looks so cold naked. Exterior is beautiful. Love the double glass window in the kitchen corner.

o

I love it! I really love California from my visits there but have never been to PS. I would love to live in Pasadena with all of the beautiful old historic homes and so close to the mountains. But every place has its "issues". I'm sure it's not as great as I think it would be. But your'e right, the house seems really reasonable.

o

If it were located in this area, I would buy it in a heartbeat! I really like it.

o

Prices must be really down, at that price I cannot believe it. Lots of room .

o

I do not think the price is too low. It seems about right for its location and is more than comparable houses at my location. A 4 br, 2 bath, 3000 sq ft, with 3 car garage goes for $400,000 in my part of the state. That's the cost of the house. Lots can vary from $40,000 to $100,000 depending on included utilities, size, streets, and location.

o

I wrote to the realtor earlier today. I know the area the home is in (Andreas Hills), well-to-do friends of our used to live two streets away. I asked why the cost is so low and this is what he wrote:

Hello Jodi:

Thanks for your inquiry about our listing on Maracaibo Circle. I agree, it is well priced indeed. The house is in a gated community called Parc Andreas, which is right in the Andreas Hills area. The listing that you're responding to, should have a map link to show you exactly where it is. There really is no catch. One of the differences between some of the $1M+ properties may be that they are on Fee Simple Land, whereas this is on Indian Leased Land. There is often a slight difference in pricing (figure about 15% give or take).

If you'd like to view the property, please let us know and we'll be glad to meet you for a showing.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
John Nelson

Try as I might, I could not get DH to buy into my idea of buying the house. ... sigh

Jodi-

o

Before anyone buys it, because it is on Indian Leased land wonder if you would get clear title to it? Just curious.

o

Also, wonder if you pay property taxes? or there other fees paid to the reservation.

o

It's a beautiful house, but too modern for my tastes. I do love the outdoor space and the views though.

Someone had wrote this (see link below for more) about Indian leased properties: There was a major land lease case in Orange County about 5yrs ago. I believe it was in Santa Ana. The property owners had their lease go from like $50 to $500/mo and values dropped like a rock. Owners tried to sue but it was all spelled out in the contracts. Google it and maybe you will find the story. That was enough for me to never ever buy anything where I did not own the land underneath my home.

So I'm guessing you pay the Indians so much per month under a lease... but when the lease is up they can raise the monthly payments as high as they want for the new lease.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buying on Indian Lease Land

o

I don't like that open empty look. I'm not looking to buy a house,anyway.

o

Just a few years back houses in my housing track, there are 31 of us in a semi rual area of Riverside Ca. sold for that~~now we would just get about 100,000 or a bit more over the price we paid for ours 23 years ago. We are not gated or that fancy~~~

Palm Springs is way too hot for me and not much there.

o

Interesting fact about buying property on Indian owned land. New about that in Mexico, but did not realize it was about the same here on tribal land

o

Here's one I like better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woz's house

o

I like that one, too, Sushipup! I like the furnishings, the view from the bedroom, that gorgeous wood/glass coffee table, the stained-glass skylight over the breakfast table. But that wall outside (in the first photo) is a little too ugly for even my very-contemporary tastes! (I can't afford those tastes, mind you, but I like looking at them!)

But I want to put a throw pillow or two on that long, off-white sofa. Something in purple, maybe ...

o

Let's see ...

... if about 400 people on the KT were to ...

... throw in about $1,000. each ...

... we could have a gathering at the place ...

... once or twice a year ...

... and rent it out, the rest of the time ...

... to folks who want a temporary stay in P S (that's not a Public School, is it:?)

(Or to long-term renters who'd be willing to put up with us for a few days, once or twice a year).

o j

o

Come on, folks - don't let o j be thread-killer ...

... again!

o j

o

lol..palm springs after spring break/easter is hotter than blazes...i'm sure it's changed drastically since i was last there...our last home in san diego county was modest 3br 2ba on a tiny lot..we sold for $119,000(88) at one point it jumped to a whopping $400k, but i'm sure it's back to what we sold it for...bet ps has done the same thing...

o

Here's another Palm Springs house for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: For sale

o

Yikes! 23,000+ square feet? 300 dinner guests? $50 million?

To tell you the truth, I'm surprised. I always read that Dolores Hope was deeply religious, and always inviting a priest to dinner. I never envisioned her inviting 299 others as well. :-)

o

The Hope mansion is an icon in PS and can easily be seen along highway 111 at the backside of PS.

o

Please ... don't tell the folks in that area that they are more or less in the back-side area related to PS!!

o j, o.k.?

o

I don't like any of these homes, but my dd would love them. I think they're too cold and not very homey at all...plus they're way too big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here