SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Clorox tablets for the toilet tank

schoolhouse_gw
14 years ago

Does anyone use these? I bought a two-pack and put a tablet in the tank to see if it would help keep the bowl clean; the fumes are so strong! I can smell Clorox while sitting in the livingroom let alone the bathroom. Are they suppose to be that strong smelling?

Also my Aunt told me her plumber told her not to use those because they can damage the parts inside the tank. I don't want to use the blue tablets because I'm afraid the blue dye will stain my porcelain and don't particularly want blue water. Have any good automatic tank or bowl cleaner recommendations? Something you leave inside? I also have hard water, so there is some rust.

I may have to go get that tablet up out of there before I go to bed! Phew.

Comments (39)

• User
    14 years ago

I don't think any of those things work. I love the smell of the gel you stamp in the bowl but it doesn't do a thing to clean it. You have to use the brush & scrub.

• stephmc72
    14 years ago

I cannot stand the smell of bleach, it bothers my asthma and gives me a headache so I can't really help you, but I will second what joann said about the gel stamps. I love the smell, but she's right, they do nothing to clean.

• Related Discussions

Cat dreams

Q

Comments (8)
    There was a lady we met on a 4 day cruise. The last day we were standing there waiting to debark and she was holding a cat! Well that was a good conversation starter if I ever saw one. Apparently her cat got into her suitcase when she was packing to go on this cruise and she didnt know it! She zipped it all up and off she went. When she got to her cabin and her luggage was delivered, she unzipped it and out came her cat! By then it was too late to do anything about it; we had already set sail. Poor cat, you know how those luggage handlers just throw that luggage around! But the cat was fine. I'm sure he ate well on that cruise; all the tuna and fish he wanted!
    ...See More

Septic Systems & Toilet Cleaners

Q

Comments (8)
    Many thanks for the advice, Frodo! I have a couple packages of yeast I can sacrifice. :o) Can't do the washing machine thing, we live in a subdivision (the well water comes from the water company servicing our area) and would get in trouble for diverting waste water. I am careful with detergent though and don't use bleach when washing clothes.
    ...See More

Stains in clean toilet

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes, I agree it's from splashing when flushing. I looked in the tank and it's pretty clean, only a minimal yellow tinge. No rust buildup. The spots look much more brown in person,not blue at all so I don't think it's leftover cleaner. I splashed some of the water from the toilet into my sink and a piece of white paper, neither of those turned brown. And water from the faucet splashed onto the toilet doesn't turn brown. I'm running out of ideas.
    ...See More

Septic owners: keeping toilet bowl clean?

Q

Comments (56)
    I learned this trick from a guy on you tube and it works! My toilet was getting hard water rings, we have well/septic. The ring was impossible to remove. This guy said to pour white vinegar into the bowl, put on some rubber gloves, and make "spit balls" with toilet paper. You dip the TP into the vinegar in the bowl and then apply the soaking TP to the ring. Let is sit over night...sparkling clean in the morning. Just flush!
    ...See More
  • dilly_dally
    14 years ago

If you do not want blue water they make them in clear also. The blue dye is added so that pets who may sneak a drink out of the toilet bowl do not drink poison.

• cynic
    14 years ago

I've noticed some have a strong smell but not all. I don't know what the difference is. I think it could be that when new, it's just larger and more dissolves, or it could be that on toilets that aren't flushed very often more will dissolve in there. I usually buy the generic brands. I bought some at Family Dollar and they were a smaller size. Yes you replace more often but there wasn't as strong a smell and they were cheaper. Right now I'm using the Kmart version.

I've heard that claim about it damaging the components in the toilet too but considering it's been here for over 35 years, with the same toilet, using the bleach tablets a good part of the 30+ years I've had the place and yes they make a big difference here, I have had no trouble with my toilet of any major consequence. I replaced the stopper a couple years ago so if that was attributable to the bleach, big deal. The hard water and other items could easily have caused trouble with it too. I've also known of a lot of other toilets needing the parts replaced sooner and owners not using bleach tablets so I don't worry about it.

And one of the ways I can tell that I need to replace the tablet is when I notice the bowl getting dirtier more often.

BTW, how does coloring the water blue stop the pets from drinking it? Or are you saying there's no poison in the blue version? I don't follow.

On that topic though, it annoys me to no end that people leave lids up on toilets using chemicals when they have pets. Even without the chemicals in there, I think the owners should put the lids down.

• wildchild
    14 years ago

I think the owners should put the lids down.

I agree. Never understood people complaining about animals drinking out of toilets. Just put the lid down. Cat unwinds the TP? Shut the door.

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

I use alka-seltzer tablets to clean the toilet. No, really. I put two in and allow them to fizz away until done, then scrub and flush. Does a fabulous job, no fumes, and leaves the porcelain sparkly white.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

My plumber told me that I shouldn't use anything that sits in the tank. I used to use those glass jars of blue stuff (I don't even know if they sell them anymore). But after he came out to replace the rubber stopper because the toilet kept running he told me those chemicals will slowly erode the rubber parts of the flushing mechanism.

He said he didn't know of anything that would keep it clean and that I should just remember to keep a toilet bowl brush nearby and use it as needed.

• pris
    14 years ago

I'm going to try the alka seltzer but will never use it as an antacid again. LOL

• vicki_lv
    14 years ago

We have a pool, so I use the chlorine tablets that we use in it. I take a screwdriver and hammer and break it into about 4 pieces and put one of the pieces in the toilet tank. I have doing it for years and it has never damaged anything in our toilets.

You could do the same with the ones specifically for toilets and the scent wouldn't be as strong.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I always keep the toilet lid down,too.
    Alka-Seltzer? Hmmmm. Worth a try. Actually the bleach tablets seem to be keeping the bowl cleaner, but the hard water still causes crud in the tank. I think I just need to scrub brush the tank more often.

I agree the bleach smell is irritating to my nose,too. Maybe I'll look around for an alternative to the Clorox brand. Thanks for the suggestions.

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Nothing will help hard water scaling, except getting a water softener. And to clean hard water scaling, use vinegar.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I use "The Works" tablets and they are clear. Always keep the lid down. Works well for me.

Sue

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I used the Clorox ones until one disolved part way and then got lodged somewhere in the works and messed up my tank. No more for me.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

marilyn sue, I never knew The Works made tablets. I use the liquid cleaner in the bowl and it "works" for me but it does have a strong smell. Do you notice it much with the tablets?

I'm going up to Lowes now and check out their cleaning aides isle, as I've never seen these tablets in any other store and Lowes usually has a big selection of stuff. (Plus, I need an excuse to go check out the garden department to see what's new for Spring! ha) Thanks.

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

I've used them for years. I consider them necessary. I especially like the fact they don't color, or stain, the tank.

The bleach odor is noticeable for the first couple of days, but not after that. It's not strong enough to be harmful, but you can tell it's there when the toilet is flushed.

We always keep the lid closed just in case Sam wants to develop yet another weird habit. Harry, or course, would never consider an act so beastly as sampling the bowl water, LOL! (Harry won't even drink out of his water bowl twice, or after Sam. Once he's had a drink, or Sam has, Harry will stand at the bowl and "look" at me until I change the water. Green scum cow ponds do not count as 'unacceptable water sources' though.)

But, I digress. Forgive me!

I clean my bathrooms daily, (A FLYlady swish and swipe) and of course nothing in the tank will keep the bowl "clean" on its own. We have mildew issues here in this damp, damp place, the Clorox tablets have completely eliminated any mildew or stain problems in the bowl. I use the tinest splash of vinegar or cleaner for the daily swish and swipe. I spend far less than a minute and the bowl is always company-ready. I spend 3-4 minutes on the swish and swipe. Haven't done a marathon "gotta clean the bathroom" in years. Now the bathrooms are always clean. I love, love, love FLYLady.

• marry
    14 years ago

I sometimes use denture cleaning tablets to clean the toilet with.
    They work very well! Never thought about
    trying them in the tank, tho, I'll have to go throw a couple in
    and see what happens.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Schoolhouse, it may have some bleach smell in the beginning, but to me at least that doesn't matter. I have bought mine at Meijer grocery store. I do have soft water so that helps with the cleaning too.

Sue

• orie
    14 years ago

I've never tried it but I heard using Tang (the orange drink) does one helluva job on toilets, too!

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

i had those bleach tablets eat away at the internal parts in the toilet and came home from vacation to a flooded bathroom. i had been using them for a long time and i guess it was just the fact it sat not flushing for a couple of weeks. DH banned them after that lol. i may try the alka seltzer in the bowl thou ~ liz

• pris
    14 years ago

Now cut that out!! Now I have to cross Tang off my to drink list.:)

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I've used them for many years as well, from time to time I have smelled the bleach but not very often. I've also cut them in half from time to time but they are a necessity here. We keep the toilet lids closed as well.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Didn't find the The Works tablets at Lowes. I'll use the Clorox until this last tablet is dissolved. The first one I took out when it was nearly gone.

Thanks for the comments.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Don't use any bleach tablet if you have iron in your water, it binds to the iron and causes worse stains. Ask how I know...

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

I have this toilet ,it was expensive.It has flowers all onver tank ,base .Everytime I use bleach hubby finds out because it eats the seal inside tank then it costs like 40.00 for new seal.Is there anything that will clean without bleach?

• sjarz
    14 years ago

I just bought that gel thing last week when I went shopping. Last night my daughter commented on how strong it smells - I don't smell it at all. I also don't notice any difference in the cleanliness of the toilet...won't bother with it again once I use up this package.
    Pris...sorry to tell you this, but at the last apartment building I worked at we had dishwashers in each unit. If the tenant had stained the dishwasher we would run a package of Tang drink mix through it to bring it back to sparkling clean.
    I used to like a glass of Tang every once in a great while - haven't drank the stuff since the dishwasher thing.
    Suzan J

• pauline13
    14 years ago

As McMann stated, I, too, have had plumbers advise against using products that sit in the tank. They gave the same reason as her plumber which is the early disintegration of the rubber parts.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"Never understood people complaining about animals drinking out of toilets. Just put the lid down."

Animals are smart. A big dog will lift the lid.

One solution is to keep a brick on the lid.

A dog will even figure out how to open the door with it's mouth.

"BTW, how does coloring the water blue stop the pets from drinking it? Or are you saying there's no poison in the blue version? I don't follow."

Animals have a natural built in aversion to blue in food. A dog won't drink blue water.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Dilly_dally, I've never heard that one before. I assumed the suggestion meant something with the color but I've seen a lot of animals drink the blue water and have several friends complaining about it too. Some animals eat or drink anything though! When I ask why they don't put the lid down their lips tighten and heads turn away. My experience is that if you have water next to the feeding area consistently it'll dissuade them and with a lid down they won't bother. Naturally some could lift a lid. Some animals are VERY determined! And can be trained. One friend trained their dog to bring them cigarettes, and yes I saw him do it. He could even tell the brand, whether it was Mom's or Dad's cigarettes!

Caroline, those boys of yours are something else! Give them a scratch on the ears and a couple biscuits for me!

"i had those bleach tablets eat away at the internal parts in the toilet and came home from vacation to a flooded bathroom."
    Liz, you sure the tank didn't crack? Or was it the supply line that broke? Neither of those can be blamed on bleach. Water in the tank, even if the guts were eaten away would go into the bowl and down the drain unless plugged and again, that can't be blamed on bleach. Methinks you're blaming the wrong cause.

And bulldinkie, c'mon now. One use of bleach causes a $40 repair? Either something's installed incorrectly, defective or something else is wrong. I can't envision any part that will dissolve in a highly diluted bleach water in a few hours. I don't know what the ratio is but bleach water is also used for sanitizing cooking utensils and other food service items.

There's a lot of urban legends out there but if someone doesn't want to use bleach, it's your choice. There's no perfect cleaner except maybe Caroline! (And I agree, I do like Flylady's policies.) Problem is, I can't get Caroline to come do my toilets! ;) I'll watch the dogs for you!

A scrub brush does a lot by itself. Baking soda can be your abrasive. A pumice stick is a great cleaner too. I've heard about the denture tablets and Alka Seltzer. Tang too. You could use powdered lemonade mix - that too, like Tang, has citric acid in it which will help clean, or you can buy citric acid by itself. Many people clean their dishwashers with a packet or two of Kool-Aid Lemonade. Or plain citric acid.

• pauline13
    14 years ago

Liz, you aren't necessarily blaming the wrong cause. Unless you have a one piece toilet, there is a seal between the toilet and the tank. That seal can become damaged and, if that happens, water will leak from the tank onto the floor and you certainly can come home from vacation to a flooded bathroom. I've had it happen myself.

• angelaid
    14 years ago

"Animals have a natural built in aversion to blue in food. A dog won't drink blue water."

Where do you come up with this cr*p? Dogs donâÂÂt see things in the same color spectrum that we do. I can't imagine he knows the difference between blue, orange or clear, except the scent would be different.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I don't like any of those cleaners you stamp or hang in the tank. I've tried them all. I like Lysol Toilet cleaner and a toilet brush, I clean mine about once a week. I have a Toto that was installed in 2005 and was about $200. Haven't had any problems with it.

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

NO SWEEIEE...IT EATS THE SEAL...OK....does that answer suit you?

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Cynic; you're so funny! I'm not perfect by far, but I'm persistant! LOL And I cannot stand a less-than-pristine bathroom.

I still say we'd make great room mates. We stack groceries the same; install TP the same, have the same standards...

Who was the third person that was going to room with us in our imaginary world? I should have saved that thread; I think it was one of the many about "which way to hang the TP?"

Sam eats blue paper, but then Sam eats everything. "Eats" as in chews up, swallows, and attempts to digest, with varying degrees of success. When Harry was a puppy I'd say he "ate the paper towels," or he "ate the sofa," etc. but that just meant he chewed it to pieces and spit it out. Not Sam; Sam eats everything.

I was pulling twist ties out of his craw yesterday. Wes came in from doing yard patrol (a twice daily job now with two dogs) and asked what Sam had eaten that was red, plastic, and in small pellets.

I had no idea. Don't ask; don't tell.

I really try to watch him, but he still finds "stuff" to eat. Shoe strings, anyone? How about cotton balls? And a side dish of dryer lint! Desert? Those socks would be tasty!

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

Dilly dally comes up with some good answers some times, but she must think we all fell off of the turnip truck, with her answer that dogs won't drink blue water.

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

You know I have to say something..I read down over respnses here today,I have to ask,to the ones who never have anything nice to say.DO YOU EVER READ WHAT YOU WRITE AND FEEL GOODABOUT IT?IM CURIOUS>
    There are some really sweet ,generous,giving,thoughtful ladies on here who go out of thier way to do or say something to help you through a rough day.Then you come on and cut up what we say.To upset people why?I had a rough day today Im fighting to survive here.I come on to see how everyone is doing today,to relax a little, the people fighting cancer,kidney problems etc and have to read your remarks what gives.
    please stop....Im asking in a nice way.please....

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I took the Clorox tablet out yesterday. When I was at Lowes I saw a Kaboom toilet tank cleaner that you somehow attached to the water intake tube or whatever it is, you had to take that apart to afix the Kaboom. That looked like a disaster waiting to happen if I tried to take something apart in there!

It probably wouldn't have worked anyway. I'll just try to scrub the tank more often.

• msmarion
    14 years ago

We built a new home in 98. Moved in over Thanksgiving weekend. Used bleach tablets in the first floor toilet. Replaced rubber parts in Febuary. Plummer warrantied repair. Told me that bleach will dry out the rubber parts. Have never used it again.

• pekemom
    14 years ago

I just bought that stamp on gel with a coupon today, haven't put it in yet but from what I'm reading here I won't be buying it again.

• reubengretchen_aol_com
    12 years ago

The Works Toilet Tank Tablets---Ate up the rubber parts of my kohler toilet tank. Also the bleach smell is beyond intense. I used them as directed.