Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh happy day! (Really and truly!) :) x 100

Posted by rosemaryt (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 22:19

Today, I passed the third and final ham radio test, so I am now a licensed and legal "Extra."

There are three levels of licenses, with "Technician" being the first, "General" being the second, and "Extra" being the third.

Two years ago, I got my Technician and then six months ago, I got my General.

A few weeks after I got the General "ticket" (as it's called), I had not one but *TWO* "old ham guys" tell me that I shouldn't even try to pass the Extra exam, as it was incredibly technical and way, way too difficult for "someone like me."

That really lit a fire under me. :)

Less than 17% of licensed hams are Extras, and I found the test to be very, very difficult. Lots of complicated math and I hate math.

So I memorized the answers.

There are 738 questions in the question pool, and about 10% of them are math. (Only 50 questions on the test.)

Anyway - I'm pretty darn happy today. Took the test this morning at UVA in Charlottesville. I missed only four of the 50 questions on the test (which is still a passing score).

It's been a good day. :)

BTW, here's a few sample questions. And they're all like this.

photo 1specialthree_zps28b930a5.jpg

photo 1specialfive_zps7d787feb.jpg

photo specialtwo_zps8d8c9482.jpg

Here's a picture of Teddy hanging out at the Ham Shack. :)

photo Teddy_Ham_1_zps4c7a50c5.jpg

My oh my, I'm so grateful to have this OVER and to have passed. And I can't wait to tell those two guys - guess what - I *passed*!!!

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Take the test by clicking on this link.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh happy day! (Really and truly!) :) x 100

Congraulations DH is a ham operator, but no base station. His friends and relatives never came thru with the encouragment he needed. You do have a very important job --for fun, new friends and emergencies all over. I hope you have a great time.

o

Congratulations! My son is an avid ham radio operator. I think Morse Code was still required when he took his third test. At least you didn't have to learn that. :-)

I do the hamfests every summer with him. We have a lot of fun, and I've gotten to know quite a few of the regulars.

Your next assignment is to build a tower. My property looks a little bit like an antenna farm.

o

Congratulations! Isn't it nice to accomplish something when people doubt you!

I could barely understand those questions, so I'm even more impressed!

o

Big congrats, Rosemary!!!

o

Congratulations!

o

Rosemary, Congratulations!

Next test: Stay on frequency.

o

I'm impressed! Good for you!

o

Congratulations! Years ago my hubby bought a ham set so he could listen to weather broadcasts. He didn't even consider getting a license. He knew how hard it was. By the way, I couldn't even understand that sample question. Good for you!

o

Congrats Rosemary...It is not an easy job to get a license....

My Husband is an Extra Class Ham and took his test back when they required 20 words a minute Morse Code....I have my General Class license and had to do code too. I hope you enjoy your license as much as my husband has. There is a big contest this weekend and he and friends will be on the radio all weekend long....

o

CONGRATULATIONS, you sly devil, you! (Not that I can imagine memorizing that many answers.)

o

Congratulations!!! I am really impressed and you should be so proud of yourself.

The sample questions would have been very easy for me...IF they had had a 5th choice: "Don't Know"! Teddy looks very regal in that picture.

o

Oh, I am really impressed ,..........what was the first question, please??

o

So what are the correct answers? I have no idea what they are even asking. Congrats to you!

o

Thanks for the kind words. This was a toughie for me, and I really struggled with it.

The mathematical equations for this stuff are mind-numbing, so I just memorized all the math answers.

The answer to the first question is: 14 degrees with the voltage lagging the current.

The answer to the second question is 240 ohms at an angle of 36.9.

The third is "Reactance modulator on the oscillator."

And there are 738 of these jewels in the question pool.

Crazy making, but I never have to think about these questions again. I have no intention of building my own ham radio, so these questions are really a moot point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this the reason that there are NOT more women in ham radio?

o

Congratulations girl. Make sure you let those old male dudes know that you passed with flying colors. I'd like to see their jaws drop.

o

Congratulations!

o

way to go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here