SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

do you have... and what do you use it for?

OklaMoni
10 years ago

Do you have a micro planer, and what do you use it for the most?

I recently started using mine for grating lye soap for hand washables. It makes nice fine flakes.

Moni

Comments (9)

• lindyluwho
    10 years ago

I use it to grate parmesan cheese and garlic the most. I also use it to grate nutmeg.

This post was edited by lindyluwho on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:08

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Ginger, garlic, Parm, chocolate, citrus zest.

• joann23456
    10 years ago

Ginger and lemon zest.

• socks
    10 years ago

Same here, garlic, nutmeg, ginger. Do you grate those old Fels Naptha bars, Moni? I never thought of doing that. I just scrub the bars on stains, ring around the neck, etc.

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

I rarely cook so mine just sits in the drawer. But I do have one just in case I get the urge to use it.
    Mary

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought mine because of posts over at the cooking forum. Used it mostly for parmesan cheese.

I hand wash my lycra bike clothing, and my wool pullovers and sweaters, as well as my bras.

I used to rub my lye soap on the fabrics, but thought of using my microplaner last week. It does a mighty fine job for making soapy water for hand washables. :)

I got some real old fashioned lye soap, I get from a friend of a friend of mine. GREAT stuff.

Moni

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

I use mine to zest lemons. If I'm going to squeeze a lemon for juice; I zest it first. I let the zest dry and then store it in a little jar. It's wonderful to have "real" lemon zest on hand when I want the flavoring.

Recently I discovered I was out of ground cinnamon but I did have a pack of cinnamon sticks. (I have never, in my l-o-n-g adult life ran out of ground cinnamon; I was shocked and disappointed in myself.) I used the micro plane on the sticks and it worked fine in the recipe.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

Cheese, lemons and limes, and ginger.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Citrus zest, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, cheeses