Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using my sterling

Posted by sudiepav (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 21:00

I was talking with a friend this winter, and she has decided to use her sterling for every day. I have really cool dansk stainless that I like, but I also have 22 place settings of sterling that I'd begun collecting at age 10, at my mothers behest. I decided to use my sterling for our dinners. I cleaned out a small drawer, lined it with Pacific cloth, and put 2 place settings, plus serving pieces in the drawer. I can't tell you, after a week, how much joy this brings me. Who am I saving this for? I hope my granddaughters will want it, but I greatly fear that whoever gets this grand collection may not know me at all. I am so happy to be using this every day...can't tell you how much this means to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using my sterling

Good for you!
I use sterling every day, too. Can't see any reason to leave it in a drawer most of the time.

o

Got out my Buttercup Gorham sterling silver with my Royal Doulton china, today.

Started collecting mine when I was around 10ish. That was the thing to do back then.

Have a 12 place settings.

Told my son today I hope he will keep when I pass it on to him,

o

I think that's wonderful - use it and enjoy it in good health.

o

When I was younger and both hubby and I were employed and before kids (DINKS=double income,no kids) I loved to shop antiques stores, flea markets and garage sales.Over the years I bought two boxes of silverplate. I use one set at least once a week. The other set is in the attic. Both sets will go to my daughters when they marry. Which will leave me with my stainless..

o

I think it's great that you are using your sterling. I love using all of my dishes and linens for every day meals. I don't get my sterling out as often, but I should because I like the pattern much better than the pattern of my stainless steel. I never understood storing pretty things away. They have more meaning the more they are a part of your every day life.

o

i only have a 6 pc place setting of my mothers and never added to it...my kids told me to sell it! and everything collectable i have! and the one dd2 i was thinking of giving it to, is now getting a divorce and sure don't want sil to get it!

o

Glenda, I love Buttercup!

What pattern is your Royal Doulton?

o

What a great idea! I have an 8-place sterling set which I think I use about 6 times a year. Like others, I started collecting it when I was 13. The first place setting was from my parents.

o

So glad you're enjoying your special things! Definitely agree it's better to use it than save it.

That said - I ended up inheriting three sets of silver and three sets of china. I've sold all but one set of china (and that will go when my mother passes away - hopefully a LONG time from now). I have no sentimental regard for this type of thing. Also, no siblings to share with. And my daughter wants none of it, either.

o

I too had three sets of china and sold my best, Lenox. Wish I had sold my Royal Doulton instead.

My son probably will never use any of it, but if I had a daughter she probably would.

sylvia, my pattern is Burgundy by Royal Doulton.

o

Mmmm...
Elegant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Doulton Burgundy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here