SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I have a unique mess to clean up.

alisande
10 years ago

We've had a lot of snow this winter. Just before our heaviest snowfall, my son stopped by and left a big trash bag full of recycling on the ground in front of my porch steps. I take our recycling to a single-stream (plastic and glass together, newspaper and cardboard separate) recycling facility 25 miles away, and my son meant to stash the bag of plastic and glass bottles in my ice house until my next trip.

But the black trash bag blended into the dark night, and was forgotten. Overnight the snow fell, and fell into the next day, burying the trash bag. When my son started making paths for me with the snow blower, the bag and its contents got pulled into the snow blower, which churned everything into small pieces and discharged it all over my yard. The pieces sank into the snow and disappeared.

Now the snow is beginning to melt. Some ground is visible at the base of my porch steps, and I was out there this afternoon with a pair of tweezers, plucking little pieces of glass out of the ice and mud. We still have over a foot of snow covering the lawn, and when it melts I know I'm going to find glass over a wide area.

I warned my daughter-in-law to keep little Joey away until I deal with all of it. I also have two outdoor cats I'm concerned about. The scope of the problem is more than a little daunting.

The thought occurred to me (and one of my cousins) to take my shop vac outside after everything has melted and see if I can vacuum glass out of the lawn. I have no idea whether or not this will work. But I don't have any other ideas. Do you?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm