SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

50 years ago TV. Are you a 'boomer'?

oldfixer
10 years ago

Can you believe it was 50 years ago when JEOPARDY came on the air? Some other 1964 shows include:
Flipper
Bewitched
Gomer Pyle, USMC
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Peyton Place
Gilligan's Island
The Addams Family

And the Ford Mustang was introduced.

What do you remember?

Comments (62)

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Combat. We probably shouldn't have been watching this one but no one regulated TV then.

Smothers Brothers, too.

• jeaninwa
    10 years ago

My first memory of watching TV was the Flintstones. On the console tv that had the small screen on top, and the bigger speaker on the bottom.

• Related Discussions

20-30 year ago there was an annoying "you've got mail''

Q

Comments (24)
    john4291 You weren't alone as a dBase user, that was the first widely popular relational database for PCs. It was used by a lot of people in a lot of places. Once Microsoft got its database act together, not with the first but with later versions of Access, dBase got pushed aside. There was no reason to pay for dBase when Access was equivalent and included for in the standard MS Office. Also, Access and Excel files play together well so that's a big plus. These days SQL seems to be very popular and there are many free community-maintained versions. SQLite is one of several.
    ...See More

This time 50 years ago

Q

Comments (14)
    Congratulations, I totally agree with "don't sweat the small stuff". We were those two kids getting married on Dec. 5th, 1959. I look back and see those first years, husband was drafted less than a year later and went to Korea for 13 months. That was the only time that we have ever been apart. You all have a wonderful day together,
    ...See More

Boomers-We've lost two of our TV stars

Q

Comments (9)
    Top Cat was a favorite cartoon and I always thought Connie Hines was absolutely gorgeous! And yeah, Mr. Ed was a favorite show too. Thank you both for your contributions and RIP. That was when television was for creativity and entertainment, not the un-"reality" shows and other trash cluttering too much airtime today.
    ...See More

California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.

Q

Comments (9)
    So do they mean a wet tropical climate, or a dry one. Cause LA is a desert now technically. If the average winter temps get warmer and yet if it does not get a moister rainier climate as well, then it's just a warmer winter desert. Only thing different than now would be less frost in winter. Sounds depressing.
    ...See More
  • chisue
    10 years ago

We got a TV in time to watch the coronation of Elizabeth II. My grandmother was a big 'royals' fan -- can't imagine why, as she was Scots Irish. She had a hissy-fit about the expense, but enjoyed watching enormously.

I'm not a Boomer. I'm a slightly pre-WWII model. DH and I married in 1964. I had traded my Ford Fairlane for an Austin Healey 3000 a year or two earlier.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Definitely all of those and the others mentioned also.

• kitz_2007
    10 years ago

How about:

Leave it to Beaver
    Ozzie & Harriet
    The Danny Thomas Show
    Perry Mason
    Father Knows Best
    I Love Lucy
    Lawrence Welk

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I loved the Donna Reed Show....remember Shelly Fabares singing Johnny Angel?

Jasdip---my dad sold Electrolux vacuum cleaners door to door for 14 years....it's all we ever used...they wore like iron.

• clubm
    10 years ago

Remember Laugh In with Goldie Hawn. Any one remember Car 54 where
    are you?

• joan_mn
    10 years ago

There's a holdup in the Bronx, Brooklyn's broken out in fights....we LOVED Car 54. Fred Gwynne, long before The Munsters!

Here is a link that might be useful: Car 54 on Youtube

This post was edited by joan_mn on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:56

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I adored Perry Mason!

Bewitched always made me squeamish, even in those far-off days;
    the husband ranted & raved & raged, frothed & foamed at the mouth, yelled, bullied, demanded that his wife not use her power, threw fits about her being just a 'normal' (controllable) housewife, pitched temper tantrums...

I never could understand why she didn't just turn him into a teakettle soo his steaming would at least serve a purpose, why she coddled him & soothed his ruffled feathers & saved his bacon every time he messed up at his job, or why she even 'loved' such a jerk in the first place.

Thank goodness she had Endora (Agnes Moorehead) for a mother!

I read not long ago that the show was created to give expression to some of the fears that men of that era had about women having control over their sexual & reproductive lives & moving into positions of power economically.

so sad.

I liked the mysteries & detective shows;
    someone mentioned Mannix.

Through the years (don't remember when things happened, & I know these weren't all 50 years ago), I've really liked:

Matlock
    Columbo
    McCloud

& of course the game shows in which people had to actually know something:
    Jeopardy
    Wheel of Fortune
    Password

Thanks for the stroll down Memory Lane!

• mare_wbpa
    10 years ago

How about:
    Roy Rogers
    Hopalong Cassady
    Annie Oakley
    Fury
    Rin Tin Tin
    It's been mentioned, but I absolutely loved Sky King.

• bengardening
    10 years ago

I was twelve years old then and remember a lot of them. Trivia: did you know there was never any cussing on combat? DH mentioned Occasional Wife. Does anyone remember that one? He said he really liked that one. Here in SD they had Captain America. I grew up in ND so when they talk about Captain America I can't relate to it. It was only in this part of the country though.

• minnie_tx
    10 years ago

I remember when they all came on didn't watch Peyton Place. We still gt old Perry Mason and some other on oiur cable stations.Weget HeeHaw too.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Who could forget:

The Ed Sulivan Show

Candid Camera

The Saturday Cartoons: Bulwinkle, Road Runner, Elmer Fudd.

And for a touch of class? - Guy Lumbardo and the Canadians; Lwrence Welk; Monkeys; Beach Boys;

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

OMG!! I scrolled past this thread a dozen times thinking, "50 years? Well, gee, I won't remember any of those shows." Uh oh. Guess what? I remember them all. :(

It CAN'T have been 50 years ago! Could it?

Mom never let us watch Peyton Place. She thought it was too risqué. Anybody remember Dark Shadows? She wouldn't let us watch it either. Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason were favorites. And Lassie and the Cisco Kid and Sky King. My VERY favorite was Leave it to Beaver. (I told my son that one of his friends reminded me a great deal of Eddie Haskell. Son said, "Who?")

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

lol..we passed around peyton place, the book, to read in jr hi, without our parents permission...it seems so tame in today's standards...

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

Doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Dragnet with Sgt. Joe Friday. We got our TV in 1952 just in time to watch the Republican convention nominate Ike for President. We had a very high antenna on our roof in order to get Los Angeles stations. We lived 100 miles north of L.A. with a mountain range between our town and L.A. One TV which the whole family watched together and we watched whatever program my dad wanted to watch.

• jillianrose
    10 years ago

I still watch Lawrence Welk. It sure brings back good memories.

Petticoat Junction

• katlan
    10 years ago

Yes, Lawrence Welk on Saturday evenings. And Ma and Pa Kettle every Sunday morning.

Dark Shadows (Thought it was the scariest thing ever)
    Laugh-In (scandalous!)
    Davey & Goliath (Sunday morning cartoon)
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

So many good memories.

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I remember most of 'em - with pleasure.

Did you folks get "Upstairs - Downstairs" ... or was it just a Canadian thing (imported from Britain)?

ole joyful

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Yes, we got Upstairs Downstairs....loved it!

• socks
    10 years ago

I always liked the cowboy programs--Maverick, Rawhide, Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke.

Never liked the Ed Sullivan show, guess I was too young to enjoy that kind of entertainment. I recall it was on Sunday night, and I thought it was an awful way to end the weekend.

• patty2430
    10 years ago

The Avengers....."Mrs. Peel, we're needed!" Thought she was so classy!

• carolssis
    10 years ago

Sing along with Mitch
    My favorite was Red Skelton, could send me into histerics
    My three sons
    My brother was such a fan of David McCallun on Man from UNCLE, he made mom get him a white turtleneck!
    Little Brother watched Rawhide into adult hood and don't bother him when it's on.
    I was always a big fan of Heckle and Jeckle and rarely got to see them, not on network?
    Wow, long time ago...

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Bonanza
    Rifleman
    Stoney Burke. Anything with a horse in it. LOL.
    Our Miss Brooks
    The Danny Thomas Show

I remember most of the shows mentioned in the above posts. I think I watched too much tv!

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Did someone mention GreenAcres yet? I still love to catch that one in reruns--hysterical!--Arnold the pig, Fred Ziffle, and the wonderful Eva Gabor!

Also loved the Adams Family and Get Smart ("lower the cone of silence!")

It seems to me that this kind of TV was simply zany and fun--real "entertainment." I can't name any shows today that are like that.

• seeker12
    10 years ago

And then there's "I Remember Mama," "The Gale Storm Show," "Big Top," "Space Patrol," and "Peter Gunn" -- how's that for eclectic viewing!!!

• mary52zn8tx
    10 years ago

It's funny how those shows stay in our memories. I watched them all except Peyton Place. Sky King was one of my favorites, too.

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

I guess I am really old. Kukla Fran and Ollie. Dinah Shore Show. It was a 15 minute show and also the Andy Williams show. Sometime later she had an hour variety show during the day. One man's family.
    Mary

• sidnee
    10 years ago

My Friend Flicka, The Mickey Mouse Show...

• liz
    10 years ago

Lassie...sunday nights...it's one of the reasons we've had collies for the last 22 years!!

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I like some of the Green Acres re-runs, too!
    Something that I didn't notice when the show was new was how sweet Lisa was;
    she really loved that old Oliver Wendell Douglas!

Trivia (I think):

Danny Thomas, the real one, not the character in his tv show, was often out of town, & his wife would let the kids sleep with her.

If they were all snug in bed when he came in the front door, she'd nudge them & say, "Make room for Daddy!"

Maybe it took 50 years for this bit of information to surface because when Make Room for Daddy was on the air, married people weren't supposed to be depicted as sharing a bed at all.

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

Oh yes Lassie! I was in love with Timmy--Jon Probst (?) I think. After that wasn't Lassie some ranger's dog? I lost interest after Timmy left.

• oldfixer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lassie had two different shows, with two different kids. Can't recall shows names, kids now. The dog trainer for both was the same. Yes, TV was much more "entertaining" back then. Todays shows lack integrity.

• joan_mn
    10 years ago

We liked Lassie when Jeff was her master, we thought Timmy was a whiny brat. Seems funny now that we thought that, I think we didn't like him replacing Jeff. Supposedly, they fired him because Lassie wouldn't take commands from her trainer, but from Tommy Rettig(Jeff).

• jannie
    10 years ago

Then there were the Hanna Barbera cartoons. Yogi Bear, Flintstones, Jetsons. And Bugs Bunny on Saturdays-"Overture, curtain, lights, this is it, we'll hit the heights".

• Deeby
    9 years ago

What a fun thread. Most of these I remember but some were either before my time or on when I was too little to know about them. I remember a show about a ship and Susanna and Midge, I think it was, but I was only 5.
    When my parents were teenagers they spent a summer housesitting (actually it was his ranch, so ranchsitting) for the actor who played Sky King. What I think is amazing-things we saw on The Jetsons came true ! The moving sidewalks are treadmills, and remember George talking on what is now Skype?

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

I was born in the summer of 1949, so, yes, I am a Baby Boomer.

"remember Shelly Fabares singing Johnny Angel?"

When I was in the 8th grade (last year of junior high school), and first semester of 9th grade (freshman in high school), we lived in Whittier. I had a huge crush on Johnny Crawford, who was on The Rifleman. Well, he and quite a few other "celebs" appeared at a sort-of concert thing in Whittier, and my sister and I got to go, because Johnny Crawford was going to be there, to sing. Shelley Fabares was also appearing, to sing Johnny Angel.

Shelley was on stage, apparently singing her little heart out, when suddenly the music stopped. And so did she. She had been lip synching! While the stage hands were trying to get the record going again, she just stood there on stage, smiling at the audience and saying repeatedly, "thank you... thank you" while she nodded and curtsied.

When the show was over, my sister and I got to go backstage to meet Johnny. He even gave me a kiss on the cheek!

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

I remember standing in the pavement in front of the big window in the RCA building in NYC, watching the live telecast of the TODAY show with Dave Garroway, and J, Fred Muggs.

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

The cartoons were the best! Remember Fractured Fairy Tales? So witty!

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I loved Fractured Fairy Tales ! They're on You Tube. I loved that dog who lived with a little old lady and had kind of an evil, wheezy snicker. What was that cartoon, and what was the dog's name?

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Oh deeby, I know just what you mean. Have to think of the name. . .

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

Just remembered a few other great cartoon dogs--Snuffles from Quickdraw McGraw who went into ecstasies over dogbones; and Auggie Doggie and Doggie Daddy--"Oh, father of mine!"

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

We got our first TV in 1950, to watch the Phillies in the World Series.
    Anyone lived in the Phila back then, should remember "Willie the worm", obviously a kids show.
    "The Big Top", a live circus show, broadcast from Camden, NJ....starring as the Ringmaster, a young Ed Mc Mahon.

and, of course, "American Bandstand" started out as a local show. in Philly.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Oh, yeah, Oggie ! I LOVED Oggie and Yogi Bear.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I just found Oggie on You Tube, it's spelled "Augie". It was fun watching and hearing the old music. Probably Popeye and everything else is there too. Fun !

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Yogi Bear
    Top Cat
    Mighty Mouse ("Oilcan Harry" has to be the best villain's name ever, & "Pearl Pureheart" is pretty good too!)

What was the one with the Professor & Sherman & the Wayback Machine?
    I always liked that one.

& we always got the ones that were oldies even 50 years ago:
    Betty Boop
    Tom & Jerry

must be more but I can't think of them!

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I liked Touche Turtle too. "Help, Mr. Wizard !"

• Orchidllauraga
    9 years ago

I was only 2 50 years ago, but I remember some of those shows....may have been in re-runs though I remember:
    Red Skelton
    Laugh-In
    Dark Shadows
    Bewitched
    Dragnet
    Bullwinkle
    Elmer Fudd
    Road Runner
    Bugs Bunny
    The Micky Mouse Club

• ntt_hou
    9 years ago

I grew up everywhere else but in the US. So, I didn't get to see these wonderful family shows.

Hey, but now, there are quite a few TV channels that are broadcasting all these shows such as AntTV (Antenna TV), MeTV, Cozi TV, etc.

Now, I get to see almost all of them and they're like new shows for me since I've never seen them before. I love these family oriented shows, no foul language, no gruesome scenes, etc. They are real family entertainment.

• dowbright
    9 years ago

I was just thinking of Car 54, Where Are You? today!!! Small world.

Remember Hawaii 5-0 and that wonderful drumbeat solo toward the end?

Reruns of My Little Margie on at noon.

A bit OT, but in the 70s:

It Takes a Thief with Robert Wagner. LOVED him.
    Welcome Back, Cotter (love the song to this day)

Back to the 60s:

77 Sunset Strip. Cricket.
    Dr. Kildare
    Burke's Law
    F Troop!!!! What a song!
    Lost in Space
    McHale's Navy
    Outer Limits
    Twilight Zone
    Shindig
    Sugarfoot
    Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie!