Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roast that falls off like pulled pork?

Posted by kathsgrdn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 19:50

I dumb question, what type of meat and cut is tender and falls off in shreds like pulled pork? I had some the other day at work from a nearby cafeteria and it was so good. I just don't remember what it was. I went and bought a beef roast today and it's so tough.

How do you cook it so that it's tender? This was cooked with carrots, onions and potatoes and was served in a thin gravy-like sauce. I'm thinking it might have been pork but I've never bought a roast that came apart like that either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roast that falls off like pulled pork?

I buy Chuck Roast and cook it in the crockpot....falls apart everytime!

o

I buy rump roasts or other types of roast without all of the fat running through them. Cut the layer of fat off the bottom and slice the roast into 1-2 inch slices. Put in a glass or other oven safe pan. Add water to a package of onion soup and mix it so it's not clumpy and then pour it over the roast. Keep adding water until the roast is covered and then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 3-4 hours. The meat should be easy to shred at that point.

o

I buy cheap-o roasts and cook them in the crockpot for 8 hours or so ... and they fall apart like that. When it's done, I take the liquid and make a nice brown gravy.

o

I buy a short roast or a blade roast and freeze it. Then I cook the frozen roast in a slow oven. It always comes out very tender.

o

Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder, Beef Chuck anything under $1.50lb. LOL

o

Cook in your cast iron pot roaster ( for the like of me I cannot thinnk of what you call it), until it is almost done.
Turn heat down in oven to 250, for several hours until it falls off the bone. Might need to add a little water. LITTLE.

o
RE: Ro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ast that falls off like pulled pork

cHECK OUT THIS LINK

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe forum

o

Glenda, are you thinking of a Dutch Oven?

o

Thanks. Maybe I'm trying to cook it too fast and at too high a heat? Next time I'll use the crockpot and start it earlier in the day.

Don't have a dutch oven.

o

I use chuck or any cheap cut and cook it in the crockpot too...also great in the pressure cooker!

o

I cook mine (beef or pork) in the crock pot overnight and all day the next day on low heat. At around 4pm I start poking at it with a big fork. It starts to pull apart then. My crockpot may or may not be on the way out which is why I cook it so long.

Trish

PS: I only use the "cheap" cuts when doing this. I can usually get a pork butt on sale.

o

I like to use a chuck roast or a boneless pork loin and cook in my crock pot, usually over night. Usually onions and sometimes celery too chopped and put in with it. I just did a boneless loin Friday night and made up pork barbecue sandwiches for Sunday. Son in law loved them.

o

Yep, crock pot is the way I do it! Then shred with a fork. I've done beef,pork and chicken and then put it in BBQ sauce.

o

The "cheap cut" you see mentioned a lot in the above posts has something to do with it.

If a cut has more fat in it, and is cooked slow - it will be very tender and juicy and fall apart.

A very lean cut of meat will not be the same. Lean cuts are usually more expensive.

A lean cut can be very tender if cooked properly though.

A cut with more fat will probably have more flavor.

o

Anything and everything I cook in my pressure cooker is falling apart tender. I love to add in potatoes and carrots after the meat is nearly done.

o

As several have said, cheap cuts, not necessarily with a lot of fat, but with connective tissue (i.e., gristle) actually make the best "fall off the bone" dinners. I usually braise these roasts. I braised beef shanks last week and the entire family practically fell all over me with compliments. And braising is easy, nearly identical to using the slow cooker.

o

I buy pork roasts and any type of beef roast and they always just fall apart after cooking all day in the crock pot.

o

I always buy a Chuck Roast. I cooked one yesterday - it was so tender you don't need teeth to eat it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here