Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wow, finally got rid of the soap scum on the shower door!

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 19:32

I tried yet another suggestion for getting the soap scum off the glass shower door, and it worked easily and 100%!

Squirt a lot of full strength liquid Dawn dish soap on a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleaning sponge. Don't use any water. Scrub the glass, and voila! It took just a little scrubbing. I did it while I took my shower so that it would be easy to rinse the glass, and it sure was easy.

I pointed the shower head in the other direction from the glass to avoid diluting the cleaning solution while I scrubbed, and then it rinsed right off.

I have tried everything, and this is the best!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wow, finally got rid of the soap scum on the shower door!

Good to know! What I really want is a total bathroom makeover; so I can start "fresh". Until then, I'll try your method! :)

o

YAY ME!!!! HAHAHA! I suggested that trick.

o

Can't wait to try it. Will let you know. I have tried everything.

o

Thank you! Did you use the Original blue Dawn that is hard to find?Or just any?

o

The dryer sheets work very well, used or not.

o

I have blue Dawn, so that's what I used.

I read this suggestion on the Cleaning forum, and I didn't recognize the name. But bless whoever made the original suggestion.

o

I got rid my shower scum by getting rid of shower doors! I never wanted them in the first place but my DH put them in. :( When we put in a new tub and shower walls I said NO glass doors.

o

Huuum, I had read it at the cleaning forum then suggested it to someone here...I just assumed it must have been you but I guess I was WRONG....HAHAHA! I've been telling everyone though so I lost track of who all I've told! It's a great thing, finding the right cleaner! I'm also a huge fan of Bar Keepers Friend. Just yesterday my white porcelain was covered with black marks, used BKF and the marks just vanished! Love that stuff too!

o

I love Dawn and I love magic erasers. Gonna have to try this trick. Thanks!

o

I still can't get those magic erasers to work on anything...I tried the Dawn trick with them on my shower doors a couple years ago....nada.

Got rid of the shower doors, problem solved.

o

Yay!!! So happy to have found something that works! I used this on my doors, and had a few areas that weren't clean. So, wiped over it again with Dawn on the Magic Eraser and used a razor blade and they look great! I had tried this with liquid dishwasher soap before, but didn't have the same results. I used Dawn Ultra blue and an Extra Power Magic Eraser. :-) Thanks so much for sharing.

o

It doesn't have to be dawn. I have used Ajax dish liquid on a Magic Eraser and it worked like a charm. I think any full-strength dish liquid would probably do the job.

o

I replaced the shower doors(the glass was etched, couldn't be cleaned) and now squeegie them every time I get out. They still look new!

I LOVE my see through glass shower doors.....:0) Holds the humidity in, saves the wallpaper.....great if I have a cold...no weird smells like shower curtains have.....won't stick to my skin if I accidentally touch them when wet....

o

BJ's sells blue Dawn in a big bottle. I will have to try this. Dryer sheets didn't work or Dawn, hot water and vinegar.

o

I did the same as Dorothy - no shower doors, no soap scum on them - LOL!

o

It doesn't have to be dawn. I have used Ajax dish liquid on a Magic Eraser and it worked like a charm. I think any full-strength dish liquid would probably do the job.

o

I love shower doors. We keep soap scum away by using liquid soap and using a squeegee after every shower. Love those Mr. Clean Erasers, though!

o

to clean the shower or bath tub get the original blue dawn and in the cleaning aisle of the store there is the cleaning strength vinegar get that. Then equal measurements of both so if you are using a half cup it would be a half cup of both, but you put the vinegar in the microwave and heat it just to warm not boiling, then put in the spray bottle with your dawn shake it up and spray it on. Leave it on for a while then when you wipe it off your bath will be sparkling like new.

o

That sounds good, raven, but what about rinsing? I would think that strength of soap would leave a residue, or does the vinegar cut it?

o

Even using the straight dish soap, you DEFINTELY need to rinse very well--otherwise, it would be very dangerous for the next person showering to step into the slippery floor of the shower/tub. That's not a huge problem--don't you have a hand-held nozzle on your shower? I always use that to rinse the tub after cleaning

o

yes after the wipe down you rinse, but do the wipe first. For some areas I spray it then saturate paper towels with it and lay it on to the area, it sticks on and holds it in place. The reason for the wipe down is to lessen the soapy bubbles on rinse. You need ventilation because in a closed area it can get powerful but not as bad as bleach and definitely not as dangerous. I would leave it on 45-hour range and you might want to do sections at a time. Here's the link that I learned about it from with amazing results pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: cleaner

o

another link

Here is a link that might be useful: more pictures and tutorial

o

I buy cheap hair shampoo, use with Target brand clean erasers and it works great.

o

I'm so excited to try this! Thanks, Raven!

o

I have used CLR on soap scum with some success.

o

Get rid of bar soap and keep away the scum! DH refuses to use body wash and loves the old bar of Irish Spring, so keeping the doors clean is a chore. Now though I leave that to the cleaning lady, lol!

o

Am I the only one who hasn't had success with the Dawn and vinegar? Our tub has build-up from the previous tenant who was elderly and took baths. The tile was spotless, because of the baths, but the tub bottom is rough. On the other hand, that's good for no slippage!

I first saw the dawn and vinegar 6 months ago, and I see no difference in the tub and tiles. I can't get the taps clean, they have water spots. Funny, we have soft water too.

The smell is very strong, I keep the door closed and the window open and it lingers in the apartment.

Also there's no need to heat the vinegar from what I've read. I heated it once but not since.

This post was edited by jasdip on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 8:42

o

I too use what ravencajun does, that is alll I've used for over a year. That stuff works, let me tell you.... It does not have to be heated either. I just mix the whole spray bottle full with it and keep it under the bathroom sink. I never have trouble rinsing it out.

Jasdip, I had a bathtub once with the built in anti-slip things and I tried everything under the sun to try to get them clean. Then I got some Tilex and it did the trick. I did spray and let it sit for a while then used the scrub brush. You might also try some Lime A-Way on the spigots to get the calcium deposits off of them.

o

I have hard water deposits that are hard to get rid of.

So I bought a spray bottle, filled it with vinegar and spray the glass....let it sit awhile , spray a little more to moist it again and then use a spong on the scrubby side. It comes right off. shiny shiny....!

o

I have hard water deposits that are hard to get rid of.

So I bought a spray bottle, filled it with vinegar and spray the glass....let it sit awhile , spray a little more to moist it again and then use a spong on the scrubby side. It comes right off. shiny shiny....!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here